Anatomy of the Dump Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anatomy of the Dump Deal

I run a 12-tm deep keeper league, where you're allowed to keep up to 5 active players and 3 rookie squadders (we start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, and two flex where you can start another QB). The rules allow rookie squadders to be activated after Wk 7 with a rookie (zero) contract, and all players may be kept 2 yrs before they're "franchised." Every team may only have 2 Franchise contracts at any time.

So every season there's an "arms race" where the top teams trade their rookies and cheapies for studs, and inevitably, the middling teams get left in the dust. Well, tonight proved to be the night where the have-nots dumped and the haves made their stand. In the pre-season I expected my team to potentially be a middling team, but by chance I am now 4-2 in a division where the other three teams have decided to dump. My team was the big dog last year, so I traded away all my keepers, rookies and rookie picks, so I was barren, but I got upset in the playoffs. This year, there are two mega-teams in the league, and despite whatever I may be able to do, I pretty much have no shot.

In any case, you can't give up when you're 4-2 and when everyone else around you is done for! So I'm making an attempt to go for it! But I know my limitations.

I don't have much in the way of great keepers. I have an inactivated Odell Beckham, Jeremy Hill & Devonte Freeman. Only Beckham has value as of today, and he may very well be the best inactive rookie among those teams looking to trade rookies away. I also have a $3 Mark Ingram, $2 Markus Wheaton, $2 Travis Kelce, $2 Steve Smith (who's more valuable to me than a dumpee), and $1 Dwayne Allen.

So a dumpee comes to me and says they crave some ODB. OK. We discuss his TY Hilton, Reggie Bush, Terrance Williams and Antonio Gates for my Doug Martin, Odell Beckham, Travis Kelce, Markus Wheaton & Charlie Whitehurst. In order to acquire Hilton, I have to shed Martin. I'm interested, but don't pull the trigger.

Tonight is dump night, lots of deals going around. I completely understand that not only do I not have the best keepers, but I likely won't have close to the best team even afterwards.

I get another offer. A expiring Garcon for Beckham. No thanks. After I decline, that owner ships Garcon, Golden Tate and a scrub for an inactive Derek Carr, Cordarrelle Patterson and another scrub.

Two more dump deals hit: and 11-player deal which switches Jamaal Charles, Michael Floyd and Jordan Cameron, among others, for a cheap Montee Ball & Keenan Allen and inactivated Eric Ebron. The next deal sends Shady, Reuben Randle & Hopkins for Le'Veon Bell and a couple of toss-ins.

Deals are happening fast & furious, and I see my chances getting slimmer and slimmer.

The deal offered to me just doesn't get me into the upper echelon. So I try to negotiate out Kelce & Gates to no avail. He balks. He wants to replace Kelce with Ingram. No dice.

So I go to the team who traded Charles -- would you trade a $9x Lamar Miller for a $3A Ingram. Nope, need a 1st rounder. No way.

Then I go to the team that traded Shady. Would you do a $3 Ingram & $2 Wheaton for a $4x Joique Bell and a $8x Percy Harvin? He didn't seem interested, but I tried to convince him on the value of Ingram. He'd get back to me, he said.

Two hours later, he accepts!

While Hilton may be better, I got to keep ODB & Kelce, but got enough to hopefully compete. And I still have them to trade if need be. Success!

This year, there are two mega-teams in the league, and despite whatever I may be able to do, I pretty much have no shot.
    Except that, thanks to the volatilty of HTH, you do.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
      Except that, thanks to the volatilty of HTH, you do.
      Sure, but do you risk dealing away some potential studs you can keep for the next 2-3 years for that small shot? That's a tough question.

Comment

Also, injuries happen so frequently that a team that looks invincible now can very quickly not be.

It's not a long grind like Roto where leads become insurmountable by midseason.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
        X