*** VD 6 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
    How am I drafting last again? And Revo and Heye are right near the top again? What are the chance of this? Waaaah!
    It really did me a lot of good last draft!

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Just saw this. I'll pick tomorrow in la manana.
      Sure you don't want to trade down to the 7th pick ?:joyous:
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
        How am I drafting last again? And Revo and Heye are right near the top again? What are the chance of this? Waaaah!
        100% ?
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Quick VD Rundown for Knuckleballs:

1. You have to pick 25 players in total from the entire history of baseball: 14 hitters and 11 pitchers.

2. You can only pick one player per letter of the alphabet: i.e. if you pick Pedro Martinez, you cannot also pick Stan Musial. All M's are off the table.

3. Letters are combined across hitting and pitching

4. You can also only pick 1 player per decade. The decade is defined by the Best Year you select. i.e. if you pick Chipper Jones's 1999, you cannot pick any other player from the 1990's. You could however pick Barry Bonds's 2000 year as that belongs to a different decade.

5. Hitting and Pitching have separate Decades i.e. You can pick a 1990's Hitter and a 1990's pitcher.

That's basically it.

Full hitting and pitcher spreadsheet here: Updated Career & Best Year Hitter Stats Sheet ... we use www.baseball-reference.com as the bible for our stats. If there is an issue, what b-r.com says goes.

The official scoring spreadsheet will be available from about the middle of the second round.

Here's a quick breakdown of the strength of the letters from best to worst (from CJ):

Best: BCMSW
          then: GHR
          then: DKLPT
          then: AJFO
          then: ENV
          then: YZ
          then: QUI

You will have to pick every letter, and 2 from the bottom 5 (QUIZY). In addition there are 2 Wildcard letters ... these can be any letter, and be selected at any time.

Here's the approximate rankings of the Hitting Decades:

Best: 1890 / 1990 / 2000
          then: 1930
          then: 1880 / 1920 / 1970
          then: 1980
          then: 1900 / 1940 / 1950 / 1960 / 2010
          then: 1910
          then: 1870

You will presumably pick every decade except the 1870's.

Pitching Decades:

Best: 1870 (combined with the 1880's)
          then: 1900
          then: 1910 / 1960
          then: 1970 / 1990 / 2000
          then: 1980
          then: 1890 / 1920 / 1930 / 1940 / 1950 / 2010

You will likely pick every decade outside the bottom rung, and then 3 out of 6 from the bottom.
          Last edited by johnnya24; 03-15-2013, 06:20 AM.

Comment

What does that all mean?

Well, players who are very highly ranked such as Barry Bonds, all of a sudden drop in value because (a) his name starts with a very popular letter (b) his best year is in the most popular decade, AND (c) he plays at the most common position: OF. Therefore when you pick Barry Bonds 1999, you are eliminating every player who starts with B, and every hitter from the 1990's, and not gaining any positional flexibility.

On the other hand, a player like Rudy York will jump in value because (a) he has a difficult letter, (b) his best year is in the 1940's AND (c) he is catcher eligible, so also has positional value.

You have to balance the players you pick with their letters, decade and positional eligibility. Too many big letters and decades will severely harm you flexibility later in the draft. Too many tough letters and decades and you could lag too far behind in stats.

My advice as a first timer would be to focus on filling most of your positional slots by half way (C, 2B, SS, MI, 3B) ... that way your options will not be as severely hampered coming down the stretch.

Comment

I am so F'd. Is there some kind of sexual, public humiliation act awarded to last place that I don't know about yet?

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
                I am so F'd. Is there some kind of sexual, public humiliation act awarded to last place that I don't know about yet?
                It's not a big deal, you just have to change your login name to heyelander
                people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                  It's not a big deal, you just have to change your login name to heyelander
                  Steady on!

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
                    Of course... why do you think I keep playing?

Comment

• Going to add a new rule for first round late comers ... since we tend to deal with it haphazard like.

If someone wants to join before the end of the first round, they will pick last in the first round, and we will do a double blind to determine where they will draft for every consequent round - e.g. Joe Bloggs wants to join after pick 1.05. For the first round he picks last, which in this case would be pick 1.12. We then do a double blind to determine which slot Joe will draft from round 2 onwards.

That way there is no first round advantage, and the draft order is still random.

Anyone got any objections?

Comment

• Any late adds are fine by me.

I sent two picks to revo and frae for when Pogues goes, as I'll be traveling this weekend.
                        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• more the merrier.

Comment

• I don't want to look through all the posts in this thread -- but in case no one has mentioned it yet Knuckleballs should look at the VD5 history thread. It will give you an idea of the guys you want to consider drafting and when players are likely to be taken

Where Jamie Quirk has more value than Buster Posey. It's RJ's own take on fantasy baseball -- Vintage Drafting.
                            Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-15-2013, 05:55 PM.
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              Also, we have a strict rule that if you pass any milestones posting (like your 100th or 1000th or 3027th) you MUST post a hilarious picture of the Amish doing something.
                              I would like to see the Amish doing something with a bag of dicks.

Comment

• Does Pogues know he's been up since this morning?

Comment

Working...
                                X