• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Vintage Draft Jeopardy - entertainers for 100;

You may be the right kind of sinner, to release her inner fantasies

Spoiler!
    Uuugh !! I didn't phrase that one in a question !!
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      Not sure they really help with that. I think they just give you an additional player with good stats and give you a little extra flexibility at the end (assuming you save one or two of them). You still need to draft all the hard letters and decades. I could be wrong of course, and I don't really care that much what the rules are, I'm happy with whatever we decide...actually the more I think of it they probably do help. This is now probably pointless, but I'm too lazy to erase it.
      The point is not to have the flexibility ... the point is self-flagellation ... we need to punish ourselves for choosing such a basic format last time

Comment

How about we get this ball rolling 1 week from today? Official start next Thursday.

• Looks like we have the setup down to 2 formats (25 man draft or a 23 man draft). If need be we can use a dreaded poll.

• I'll post some hitter and pitcher sheets . A lot of the decade years are missing from the SS ... I suppose a lot aren't necessary, but some are. I will need to fix this first. That way you can mess around with the available players

• Then I'll get the official spreadsheet out hopefully before we start (depends on my work schedule over the weekend).

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          Maybe we should dump the 1870's as a stand alone decade for this draft? Or don't combine the 1940's and 50's and leave a little bit of leeway there?

That way it will be either/or 1870 and 1940's

Or maybe even 1 from 3 (1870's, 1940's and 2010's)
          I'd rather meld the 1870s into the 1880s. It's a short decade and not a ton of good players from solely the 1870s. Might as well blend in the two short decades in baseball history with other decades.

I assume the years in the pitcher area are just a scenario, and you aren't suggesting we have to take two pitchers from 1890, 1920 to 1950...though it's probably most likely we will.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Coming late into this, so maybe it's been suggested, but what about splitting some of the better decades into 5 year periods instead?

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
              Coming late into this, so maybe it's been suggested, but what about splitting some of the better decades into 5 year periods instead?
              That would create some spreadsheet headaches. It's set up right now for regular decades.

Comment

That would create some spreadsheet headaches. It's set up right now for regular decades.
                Gotcha. I will roll with whatever. By the way, the snapshot feature in the last sheet was terrific.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                  I'd rather meld the 1870s into the 1880s. It's a short decade and not a ton of good players from solely the 1870s. Might as well blend in the two short decades in baseball history with other decades.

I assume the years in the pitcher area are just a scenario, and you aren't suggesting we have to take two pitchers from 1890, 1920 to 1950...though it's probably most likely we will.
                  The example above is how it will typically play out for most drafters.

There are no rules for which specific decades people have to pick. You can pick and 1870's, a 1940's and a 2010 hitter if you want ... but will be leaving 2 better decades on the floor.

23 letters (3 x QUIZY)
                  13 Hitters
                  10 Pitchers

Hitting: 13 from 15 decades
                  Pitching: 10 from 14 decades (with 1870/80 & 2000/10 considered as 1 decade)

No WC's or double letters.
                  4 instead of 5 OF's

Having the 1870's as a stand alone hitting decade (already combined for pitching) will probably make no difference, because I doubt a single player will be voluntarily drafted from there. But it may give the tiniest bit of flexibility at the end if someone has boxed themselves into a corner and can't make a pick. Better to pick a 1870's non-entity than take a 15 point penalty. I don't think combining them makes any effective difference, but it will create a SS problem (it's not configured for 1870/80 as a combo hitting decade).

The problem with the pitching is that if we have a 2 from 6 scenario, we are essentially creating 2 pretty decent combo decades out of 6 weak decades. Combining the 2000-2010 decades prevents people from just dumping a 2010 closer into one of their weak slots, that is why I did that. That leaves 2 from 5, as opposed to 3 from 5 in a regular decades draft. With the added difficulty of the letter/decade combo, that is probably going to be pretty close in terms of value.

Hope that makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                    Gotcha. I will roll with whatever. By the way, the snapshot feature in the last sheet was terrific.
                    Thanks. I'm trying to think of a way of improving that. My own sheet always had the info on one page, so I could fly through all the scores and teams quickly. I found that it really helped ... glad someone could make use of it.

Comment

pussy
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

What's this:

Spoiler!

Comment

how about 14 hitters & 11 pitchers? 23 seems way too light.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            how about 14 hitters & 11 pitchers? 23 seems way too light.
                            It's actually:

13 & 10 (without double letters)
                            14 & 11 with some double letters (B & M was proposed)

If I don't get consensus, it will have to be a dreaded poll.

When you say too light, do you mean the number of players selected?

This is gonna be Tough . When we have got in about 6/7 rounds, the player pool of draftable players will have collapsed for most people ... even with 10 drafters. In fact the number of drafters doesn't have as big an impact as the letter-decade eliminations.

Example:

If you pick Babe Ruth you immediately lose the following players from your pool:

Ott
                            Hornsby
                            Williams K
                            Frisch, F.
                            Sisler
                            Bottomley
                            Willaims C
                            Heilman
                            Waner
                            Wheat
                            Lazzeri
                            Veach, B.
                            Fournier
                            O'Doul
                            Rodriguez, A
                            Robinson
                            Raines
                            Ramirez M
                            Rice, J.
                            Ripken
                            Ryan
                            Reily J
                            Rodriguez I
                            Rose
                            Richardson
                            Robinson J
                            Reese
                            Rolen
                            Robinson B
                            Rosen
                            Rice S
                            Radbourne C.
                            Rivera
                            Rusie A
                            Roberts, R
                            Rodriguez F
                            Reardon
                            Reulbach
                            Righetti
                            Radatz, D
                            Richard J
                            Ruth
                            ... and the 1920's years from a bunch of 1910's & 1930's players
                            Speaker
                            Simmons
                            Cochrane
                            Klein, C.
                            Gehringer
                            Goslin

Then you pick say Buck Ewing for a bit of flexibility:

Hamilton
                            Duffy
                            Davis, G.
                            Kelley
                            Dahlen
                            McGraw
                            Jennings
                            Brown T
                            Childs C
                            Lange
                            Stenzel
                            JoyceMcKean
                            Doyle
                            Richardson
                            Lowe B
                            Wilmot W
                            Eckersley
                            Ewing
                            Evans Dw
                            Ennis
                            Evans, D.
                            Edmonds
                            Elliot
                            Erstad
                            Eichorn
                            Everitt B
                            ... and the 1890's years from a bunch of 1900 and 1880's players (inc the best years from about 10-15 other players)
                            Daly
                            Delahanty
                            O'Rourke
                            VanHaltren
                            Burkett J
                            Keeler
                            Cross
                            Brouthers
                            Clarke F
                            Stovey
                            Hoy D
                            Connor
                            Long
                            Tiernan

-------------

There are lots of ramifications every round ... but for instance, D has just got hammered, and you have only made 2 picks, and haven't even picked a D:

Duffy
                            Davis, G.
                            Dahlen
                            Doyle
                            Daly (1890's)
                            Delahanty (1890's)
                            Last edited by johnnya24; 01-25-2013, 02:27 PM.

Comment

spoiler tags do not work in "Reason for Editing:"

Comment

I honestly wish he would make my picks for me too.

Comment

Working...
                                X