Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sent my next pick to Hacko since I might be out for a while
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I think Pogues has taken his last pitcher, so once he goes someone please post this for me:

Jack Quinn 1909 P quinnja01
      9 W
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• I've had the most unrelaxing Sunday ever ... one task after another!

Off to bed to quietly continue my re-watching of Arrested Development ... I'll pick before I turn in ...
        Last edited by johnnya24; 03-03-2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• So how about we don't think too much about the next one and jump straight in?

Same Basic Format: Letters & Decades
          KO's: 4 x KO's that must be used between rounds 6 & 12
          Only QUIZY letters are exempt from KO (I was thinking we could expand this to ENV ... opinion would be useful here)

Please state a preference so that we can get a consensus.
          Last edited by johnnya24; 03-04-2013, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• I think there should be four KOs, as it's even number. And also, with too many you can get some wasted selections from people who don't feel like kicking it up a notch in the middle of the draft.
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
              I think there should be four KOs, as it's even number. And also, with too many you can get some wasted selections from people who don't feel like kicking it up a notch in the middle of the draft.
              I was thinking 4 also ... changed it back and forth twice before you commented. Seems like the safer option with the other restrictions in place.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                While it didn't happen this draft (at least I don't think it will), we need to address this. It is patently unfair that the last drafter or two or three get such a huge advantage in the end game.

Also, are we just decided that we're not only doing this format again but making it MORE difficult by adding KOs?
                It balances out in general. I've looked into this a lot in the past, because I've probably drafted last more than anyone else (thinking it would be advantageous ... it isn't .. it should make no difference in overall terms). There is a small advantage in the early stages of the draft if you have an early slot; there is a positional advantage to drafting in the middle during the middle rounds; and occasionally a small advantage to drafting at the end. I've drafted at the end a lot ... and IMO it doesn't really make that much difference. The overall value average is the same once spread over 23+ rounds.

Especially in this format, the choices and options are severely limited come the end, there really isn't that much of an advantage. For instance, everyone's last pick is easy to predict with 90% certainty. If you have more than one good option, you're very lucky. Even my Parker / Perez choice wasn't really a choice.

IMO an early pick is much more advantageous to a late final round pick because of the strategic flexibility it offers.

--------

Several people wanted KO's and no-one so far has voiced any disapproval. What are your thoughts?

My personal view is that 4 KO's, to be completed relatively early (round 12), should add a little intrigue to proceedings, but without changing the values up that much. We are still very shallow with only 10 drafts and 23 slots (that's the most shallow ever in total players drafted).

Comment

• Revo made a mistake with Santana 2004 instead of Schilling 2002? Looks like a 6 point and 1 position difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    Revo made a mistake with Santana 2004 instead of Schilling 2002? Looks like a 6 point and 1 position difference.
                    Doh, I had been running with Schilling 2003 the whole time. Never checked Schilling '02. Oh well, par for the course the draft. Good thing KS no longer does the ELO ratings.....

And edit -- why on earth did I have Schilling '03 in there at all? Wow, after all the VDs, youda thunk you have all the BYs down pat already. What a FUBAR.

Comment

...IMO an early pick is much more advantageous to a late final round pick because of the strategic flexibility it offers.
                      I agree with this, there are many draft formats where getting one of Ruth/Johnson/Cobb puts you at a major advantage, particularly in multiplicative-scoring.

Comment

• Had Doby 1954 for CJ.

We should get this wrapped up today.

I'll send out PM's to the usual suspects and set up the VD6 threads later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                          I agree with this, there are many draft formats where getting one of Ruth/Johnson/Cobb puts you at a major advantage, particularly in multiplicative-scoring.
                          I agree that for some formats the top three picks can be a huge advantage. I'd have much rather been in the top 2 for this one than the bottom 2
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Does Pogues know that he's up? He was here for ages ...

Comment

Does Pogues know that he's up? He was here for ages ...
                              Was just on again for a while and made a pick in the band draft...

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                                Not fucking cool! Am I right?!?!?!
                                It would be like someone picking in Mock One before this draft. Total douche move.

Comment

Working...
                                X