*** VD 5 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    I've been copying and pasting new years for a while now and never have a problem. I've never done it your way, though.

Another problem I just found in the spreadsheet is that it's inaccurately counting # of pitchers for some reason. =COUNTIF(ROUNDS!C2:Y2,"P*") should result in a total of 10 for Revo's team but it's showing 9.
    I've only got REVO with 9 pitchers ?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Oh, the numbers got messed up along the way somehow.
      Yeah I noticed that at some point and fixed it on the official sheet. I might also have copy pasted the wrong "Px" into the History thread.

-----------------------------------

As for the issue of adding a new line ... make sure you don't copy paste the first cell ... that has to be copy-dragged-down from the above cell.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        So I think that despite Johnny's claim that the combo of letters & decades would eliminate great swaths of the draft pool, it turns out that it wasn't the case by a huge margin. There are more usual VD stalwarts who will go undrafted than any VD I can recall.

So I think buying that reasoning, and concentrating on positions due to this concern, turned out to be a dead wrong strategy.
        When I said eliminate lots of players I meant draftable players from individual teams, not total players. With only 10 teams and 23 roster slots, it was always going to be one of the shallowest drafts we've ever done ... probably the shallowest ever in fact ... yet guys like Cecil Travis, Hod Eller, Kent Tekulve, Freddie Lindstrom have gone, and presumably more strange picks are still to follow.

With 10 drafters, there were always going to be only 10 BCMSW's drafted.

You team was actually really hammered by position in the end ... if you hadn't needed 2 x CI's at the end, you would have scored much higher.
        Last edited by johnnya24; 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM.

Comment

It's still not working. I cannot figure why.
          I checked an old version of my sheet -- it had Revo taking Thigpen, which was later cancelled. Is that fixed in your sheet ?
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

The problem is with Lincecum. I'm getting a "1" error, which indicates that the player is not found. But as soon as I slot him into Heye's team he shows up as drafted. It's just that all the scores become N/A. I can't enter any of Lincecum's BYs without that error happening, so I'd guess it's on the career side but I can't figure out what's wrong.
            KS:

" 1 or -1 indicate a player cannot be found--look for typos in the playerID or year, check for duplicate hit or pitch index, or player may be missing from stats "

Comment

The error must be in what I copied from the draft thread, right?
              You could download the latest SS, copy paste the contents of the Rounds sheets, and that will tell you if there is an input error there. If it still shows up, the likely candidate will be an error on the pit_car or pit_seas sheet.

Here's what I have for Lincecum:

pit_car

linceti01 Lincecum Tim 2007 2012 Contemp 1214.0 1025 447 469 1317 79 189 0 3.31 1.231 56
              pit_seas

linceti01_2011 linceti01 Lincecum Tim 2011 217.0 176 66 86 220 13 33 0 2.74 1.207 14 2010

Comment

I entered everything by hand and it's now working. Is there a typo in what you have in the draft thread maybe?
                Glad my pick had at least one positive result
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  Something like 4 WCs between rounds 6 and 12?

We need to seriously think about restrictions we'd need to pit on WCs.
                  How about no restrictions on what letters you can use wildcards, but restrict the number of times any letter can be used as a wildcard in the draft. We each would have to decide how fast to use wildcards.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                    How about no restrictions on what letters you can use wildcards, but restrict the number of times any letter can be used as a wildcard in the draft. We each would have to decide how fast to use wildcards.
                    That would be kind of interesting.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Of course the 11th W and 11th M are awesome. Of course, though, the 11th V and 11th E are less than awesome.

We've already seen players get drafted that have never, to my recollection at least, been drafted in any format.
                      I am 50/50 on taking another one of those previously undrafted players.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Garp is going to have a huge advantage with the last pick....
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          Garp is going to have a huge advantage with the last pick....
                          I think Garp is locked in ...

Comment

Frank, is that you ?

George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I think just about everybody is close to locked in. Not much overlap and probably not a lot of choices.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                                Frank, is that you ?

I think my answer had some relevance to your question

Comment

Working...
                                X