*** VD 4 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    It depends where the average ratios are going to be. That's why I think the lack of a deadball era restriction leaves Gibson's sublime year with less "value over replacement pitcher" (not just for the ratios, but also the Ws and Ks) than Gagne's, since you can't get big save numbers from the deadball era.
    OTOH, many of these great deadball pitching seasons can have an adverse affect if one of the ratios is not as great as your current totals are, because of the huge amount of innings. It might be hard to readjust if that happens.

Because of that, I felt Gibson had great ratios in both, with enough innings to make a sizable dent.

Also, I think ultimately it will just be the save total that matters, and the ratios for relievers won't have as much of an impact. If that proves to be a correct line of thinking, then Gagne's 55 saves is nice, but there are many others in the same zip code.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      sexist.
      Pretty sure Johnny only let TheGirl draft so he has some deniability...

Anywho...I sent my pick to TheGirl, I might be out for a bit
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Where the hack is hecko?

Comment

• Some pointless stats:

Most popular decades?

1870 - 1 (George Bradley)
          1880 - 14 (10 pitchers and 4 hitters)
          1890 - 6 (all hitters)
          1900 - 6 (5 deadballers and Nap)
          1910 - 6 (4 deadballers and Zynie Cobberman)
          1920 - 4 (3 hitters and Vance)
          1930 - 4 (all hitters)
          1940 - 2 (Y and N)
          1950 - 1 (that legendary 50's hitter Monte Irvin)
          1960 - 3 (pitcher, pitcher, pitcher)
          1970 - 1 (Yaz)
          1980 - 3 (2 QUIZY's)
          1990 - 5 (3 closers)
          2000 - 11 (8 of whom are QUIZY's)
          2010 - 3 (2 more QUIZY's)

See what happens when we have a lull ...

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            Where the hack is hecko?
            I am still at work - since 5 Am but before I go to the bar I will make my pick - give me a few min to enter all that has benen picked today

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
              I was with you until you said this.

Gagne had the 3rd most single season saves of all time. His strikeout total in that year is more than any other reliever within 25+ saves. His WHIP is the 3rd lowest of anyone on my spreadsheet. His ratios might not have a huge impact but the impact is there. His strikeout total exceeds that of George Bradley's epic 1876 season by more than 30. His strikeout total is 64 more than Eck's awesome year --- essentially another whole season's worth of Ks for a reliever. It's more than half the strikeouts in less than a third the innings of Gibson's awesome year.

82.3 innings ain't a ton but it will definitely make a difference, especially with all the other massive positives that go with that year.
              I have Gagne's season as the best ever for a reliever. And his saves and Ks are nice. But I believe as great as he was, 82 fantastic innings just won't make much of a difference as teams load up on huge inning deadballers.

Comment

Joe D was one of the guys I was considering. Down to two.
                Down to 1?

Comment

We do not normally skip people. I can't recall that we've ever skipped anyone. If you're going to be gone, send picks ahead in advance.
                  We used to skip all the time .. though we haven't been doing it lately. It mattered more when he has 15/16+ players.

Comment

We did? That was only when people timed out, though, right? I guess it hasn't happened in a long time.

So are we going to skip Stephen?
                    Used to be skips all the time ... though we put a halt on it in the final 5/6 rounds ... the suspicion being that people could get more of an advantage by seeing which direction other teams were taking.

We will only get in 4 picks before it's back to Stephen again ... so probably no point. He said he'll pick this evening.

I will forward a couple of picks if need be.

Comment

• doing a bunch of running around today. pick up this evening. sorry.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• ah, cripes, I saw that he posted and just assumed I was up. Well fvck me... my home computer is so old I have excel 2000 installed. I mailed my spreadsheet home and I can't open it.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

ah, cripes, I saw that he posted and just assumed I was up. Well fvck me... my home computer is so old I have excel 2000 installed. I mailed my spreadsheet home and I can't open it.
                          I think Stephen knows he's up ...

Comment

ah, cripes, I saw that he posted and just assumed I was up. Well fvck me... my home computer is so old I have excel 2000 installed. I mailed my spreadsheet home and I can't open it.
                            forward it to someone else and have them save it as an Excel 2000 workbook

Comment

Run out and buy a new computer.

Comment

• So...if no one has started I might try to make a scoring spreasheet. Has anyone (Cough:Johnny:Cough) started yet ? If not, any hints on what I'll need to do ?
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X