*** VD 4 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Value matters up to a point. But overall, balance and drafting skill matters more. If you're a slave to value you will probably have a lot of inconsistency and problems later in the draft. Heck, even accurately judging value is hard, because it changes as the draft patterns emerge. Last draft saves got a big bump mid draft as people chased closers earlier than their raw value suggested. This draft. whatever bonus you gave QUIZY's pre-draft, you can bump that even more with the huge QUIZY firesale currently going on ... 20 in 6 rounds (there have been only 12 BCMSW's).

I didn't expect that, but with the era restrictions removed, I can't say I'm surprised.
    I just do strict value - I don't bump for Letter or Position - It just gives me something to look at and start from there. Rest is all Voodoo.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
      If you and I are really 1st in 2nd in any ranking system in a Vintage Draft there will definitely be an apocalypse.
      Don't Panic most of your points came from old Hoss- On the other Hand Garp & Thegirl both Lost points in Rd 6 with Negative Pts on their Q picks

Comment

• I did rankings for hitters, I'm still just eyeballing pitchers
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I emailed Frae ...

Comment

• Letters Taken:

A - 1
            B - 5
            C - 3
            D - 1
            E - 3
            F - 1
            G - 4
            H - 3
            I - 3
            J - 3
            K - 5
            L - 3
            M - 1
            N - 2
            O - 2
            P - 1
            Q - 7
            R - 4
            S - 1
            T - 1
            U - 6
            V - 1
            W - 3
            Y - 4
            Z - 2

38 Hitters
            32 Pitchers

Comment

• There go my G plans...
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              ---------------------------------------------
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                There go my G plans...
                That'll teach ya to make plans

Comment

• My poor assistant spent an hour at the post office this morning trying to figure our proper postage to Ireland for the books I sent Johnny.

Comment

• I'm enjoying the new format, but it's kind of sad that, due primarily to the lack of a deadball era restriction, I viewed Gagne's season as more valuable than Gibson's.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      I'm enjoying the new format, but it's kind of sad that, due primarily to the lack of a deadball era restriction, I viewed Gagne's season as more valuable than Gibson's.
                      I had Gagne's season better as well, but I'm not 100% sure I have this BY-only ranking of the seasons correct. I'm just not sure how much a great ERA/WHIP in a 60 IP season will ultimately matter. But I sure do like Hoot's 1.12 ERA in 300 IP!

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                        My poor assistant spent an hour at the post office this morning trying to figure our proper postage to Ireland for the books I sent Johnny.
                        S/he can now add logistics expert to his/her CV
                        Last edited by johnnya24; 12-21-2012, 02:49 PM. Reason: sexism

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          She can now add logistics expert to his/her CV
                          sexist.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            sexist.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              Yeah, I have trouble with the weighting as well. Obviously a gazillion innings (a la George Bradley) of low ratios is better than a bunch of innings (a la Bob Gibson) is better than a few innings (a la Gagne or Eckersley), but just how much is really difficult for me to quantify.
                              It depends where the average ratios are going to be. That's why I think the lack of a deadball era restriction leaves Gibson's sublime year with less "value over replacement pitcher" (not just for the ratios, but also the Ws and Ks) than Gagne's, since you can't get big save numbers from the deadball era.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                                It depends where the average ratios are going to be. That's why I think the lack of a deadball era restriction leaves Gibson's sublime year with less "value over replacement pitcher" (not just for the ratios, but also the Ws and Ks) than Gagne's, since you can't get big save numbers from the deadball era.
                                Gibson still gets a huge bump from his ratios. Removing the modern hitter restriction will also have an impact on G ... lots of modern G hitters. But I think Gibson losses out most because of his excellent career stats are not eligible ... lots of wins Ks' and low non-deadball career ratios.

Comment

Working...
                                X