No announcement yet.

*** VD 4 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It seems like alot of bad letter drafting going on - being a best year only draft I wonder how this is going to play out

Comment

• I initially thought that letters wouldn't be important... now I think that there are some high end guys that standout and will make a difference, but then there will be a huge cliff after that. I think early and late, with few middle round picks.

I did some flawed ratings early and then did an average of my top 10 ratings at each letter for hitters. I then calced a "WAR" for each player. Quentin actually came out #1 for me. so yeah, my ratings probably suck (I think I'm over rating SBs and my BA ratings are buckets that I don't think I'm weighting well) , but I think there is something there. Utley, York, Yaw, Uggla all came out in the top 50. I had Hamilton 2, Ruth 4, Foxx 5, and Latham 9. My #3 is an obvious outlier and highlights how crappy my ratings are.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• "Problemville"

HA!!!

Comment

• need a new Av feral?

Comment

• oh, and as far as my analysis... I'd probably do better using the George Castanza approach of always just doing the opposite of what I think I should do.

Comment

• I'll get to the scoring sheet on the weekend ... sounds like an exciting pre Xmas weekend of copy/pasting ... hmmmm. In the mean time, the player sheet is out there, and I'll add a team sheet so you can copy paste your team over.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                I initially thought that letters wouldn't be important... now I think that there are some high end guys that standout and will make a difference, but then there will be a huge cliff after that. I think early and late, with few middle round picks.

I did some flawed ratings early and then did an average of my top 10 ratings at each letter for hitters. I then calced a "WAR" for each player. Quentin actually came out #1 for me. so yeah, my ratings probably suck (I think I'm over rating SBs and my BA ratings are buckets that I don't think I'm weighting well) , but I think there is something there. Utley, York, Yaw, Uggla all came out in the top 50. I had Hamilton 2, Ruth 4, Foxx 5, and Latham 9. My #3 is an obvious outlier and highlights how crappy my ratings are.
                Definitely overvaluing SB's and QUIZY's ... though maybe not by a massive margin.

Comment

• Had to go with Quinn.....Q's are turrble.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    I think that this draft will be entirely about who got the massive inning, low ratio guys when all is said and done.
                    There are a lot of them ...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      need a new Av feral?

Sweet ! The Feral Slasher name was actually taken from a cartoon in my brothers Dungeons and Dragons magazine circa 1984. Not sure why I picked it though, just wanted something goofy and fun.
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        Crap, was going to go Joss-Leonard. I thought about picking Leonard first but figured Joss would be more sought after. Damnit, Fly!
                        Thanks for the pick-me-up, as I was doubting the value of my Leonard pick because of the relatively modest IP, W and K totals. Still, I figure L is a relatively poor letter and those ratios are pretty awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          HAHA! Screw you! Go eat a dick big boy!
                          B-Fly's been out of practice ... fixed.

Comment

• I've added a team sheet to the hitter and pitcher list. It'll do until the weekend when I get the Spreadsheet fixed.

Best to just copy paste the data or formulas, not the formatting.

Link is in first post of the Draft Thread.

Comment

• Off to Bowling sent my pick to Slasher - if Revo picks him I can check on my phone

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                                Off to Bowling sent my pick to Slasher - if Revo picks him I can check on my phone
                                I'll be picking in a few minutes, just running through possibilities.

Comment

Working...
                                X