No announcement yet.

*** VD 3 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If TS Garp comes online ... give me a hurry up. I'm around.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      The last 2 drafts have been multi, so not much opportunity for punting strategies. I'd prefer to do something with additive for the next draft. Or is it possible to average the multi/additive scores or let each player pick which one they want to use ? I have no idea if we could make either of those work, but they might be interesting.

Some other ideas -- 1) having the opportunity to exchange a player that you drafted at a later point in the draft 2) auctioning off the positions for the first 2 or three rounds of the draft

I'm really ok with anything, this is new enough for me that it is fun no matter what format. I did think KO's were fun.
      I have serious doubts we can do a competitive additive draft again ... the last one was a bit of a disaster. 2 guys picked the right uber-punt strategy (punting 4-6 categories), and it was basically a 2 horse race from the 7th round onwards ... the rest were just making up the numbers. One of the problems is that people will just keep drafting down the middle, punt the 1-3 categories, or punt and semi-punt a few, and if that happens, the uber-punt is the only way to win ... even the ratio/save punt becomes a winning strategy.

The comparison with this draft is stark ... there are probably 6 of the 9 competitors who can realistically win and we are in the 21st round. That keeps the interest levels very high and makes it a lot more competitive.

I like punt and semi-punt strategies ... but if ruins the draft for 70% of the participants ... it's hard to justify.

You might be interested in this thread I started last year sometime ... a lot has changed since I posted this ... we tried additive again, and it didn't work well.

Where Jamie Quirk has more value than Buster Posey. It's RJ's own take on fantasy baseball -- Vintage Drafting.

In that thread I mentioned that 5 and 6 category punts were not winning strategies ... as VD1 Redux showed, when most people are drafting with a multi mindset, it's probably the only way to win.

----------------

1. Exchanging a player ... could be interesting.
      2. Auctioning ... I like it .... but I would be clueless about how this would work.
      3. KO's are great

Comment

• HAve you guys every done a single season draft or a Best 5 year sequence draft?

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
          HAve you guys every done a single season draft or a Best 5 year sequence draft?
          I think we discussed something similar to the 5 year thing ... like a peak period category. Would be hard to keep track off, and we'd need a new SS with every BY line of every hitter and pitcher. I like this idea ... not sure exactly how we'd make it work though. If you have any ideas on making it work fire them out.

The 162 AVG we used previously is an option ... although we'd have to go 10x9 on the hitting because the BA category is basically replicated. But we have the same problem with getting a spreadsheet that includes these stats ... I'm pretty sure there is no database with baseball-reference's 162 line on it ... so every player would probably have to be manually imported.

The single season draft might be a little simplistic for most folk. It has been mooted before ... I think by you

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            I think we discussed something similar to the 5 year thing ... like a peak period category. Would be hard to keep track off, and we'd need a new SS with every BY line of every hitter and pitcher. I like this idea ... not sure exactly how we'd make it work though. If you have any ideas on making it work fire them out.

The 162 AVG we used previously is an option ... although we'd have to go 10x9 on the hitting because the BA category is basically replicated. But we have the same problem with getting a spreadsheet that includes these stats ... I'm pretty sure there is no database with baseball-reference's 162 line on it ... so every player would probably have to be manually imported.

The single season draft might be a little simplistic for most folk. It has been mooted before ... I think by you
            Single season could be like a side - pot draft why we are running another - (maybe)

The only way to do the peak period one (outside of 1 person doing a massive amount of work is to add as we draft which would require every one to pitch in. Might be interesting tho - back to old school where everyone has to do his own homework to find out the best choices. Might take quite a few drafts to find out new rankings just based on 5 years. Would Koufax shoot up the board. Albert Belle I would assume become more Valuable...

Comment

Single season could be like a side - pot draft why we are running another - (maybe)
              That could work. I'd be up for a side-pot draft. We did try and get a mad Letter / Franchise and Decade side-draft going once.

Originally posted by hacko View Post
              The only way to do the peak period one (outside of 1 person doing a massive amount of work is to add as we draft which would require every one to pitch in. Might be interesting tho - back to old school where everyone has to do his own homework to find out the best choices. Might take quite a few drafts to find out new rankings just based on 5 years. Would Koufax shoot up the board. Albert Belle I would assume become more Valuable...
              A few years ago when we had Squid, KS, Oakland et al we had the man power to do this ... not sure we have enough hands right now. I'll take any assistance if you're offering

This is maybe something we can plan for longer term ... I agree that the peak period it would be a nice twist ... heck we could even go Career, BY & Peak.

Comment

• How about picking 2 BYs for every player? I pick Barry Bonds, 2001 AND 2004. So in the end we have 50 BYs making up our standings instead of 25. It would change the value slightly for guys with one monster year.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  How about picking 2 BYs for every player? I pick Barry Bonds, 2001 AND 2004. So in the end we have 50 BYs making up our standings instead of 25. It would change the value slightly for guys with one monster year.
                  That is interesting.

I advocated a BY only draft, but that went nowhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    How about picking 2 BYs for every player? I pick Barry Bonds, 2001 AND 2004. So in the end we have 50 BYs making up our standings instead of 25. It would change the value slightly for guys with one monster year.
                    That might be a nice next step working our way up to 5 peak year kind of draft.

Draft 1 - pick any 2 BY years

darft 2 - Pick 2 By years but they have to be connecting years ( which means you have to do your own research then add to spread sheet)

Draft 3 - 3 By - connecting years (which means you have to do your own research then add to spread sheet)
                    So on so on until we get up to 5 years and hopefully by that time the spread sheet could be ready for the draft of this magnitude

Comment

• letters and decades
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• [QUOTE=johnnya24;112624

A few years ago when we had Squid, KS, Oakland et al we had the man power to do this ... not sure we have enough hands right now. I'll take any assistance if you're offering

.[/QUOTE]

you don't want my help - remember I an old fart you are lucky I can use a computer LOl - Everything I know about Excell is self taught/ just playing around with it. I was forced to at work and they keep adding on my work load which means more self taught Excel steps. Luckly I have one of my work wives to help me in this field.

Comment

That might be a nice next step working our way up to 5 peak year kind of draft.

Draft 1 - pick any 2 BY years

darft 2 - Pick 2 By years but they have to be connecting years ( which means you have to do your own research then add to spread sheet)

Draft 3 - 3 By - connecting years (which means you have to do your own research then add to spread sheet)
                          So on so on until we get up to 5 years and hopefully by that time the spread sheet could be ready for the draft of this magnitude
                          How about this ... this could work now -

You can group however many years you like in B-R.com ... and it will aggregate those years for you into a 162 average.

Then copy-paste the stats line with your pick, and then we can enter it into the SS as a new year (2099 or something)

Comment

• 1.08 Lou Gehrig 1927-31

AB 609 | Hits 216 | 152 - 42 - 169 - 10 - 0.354

(although we'd use the same format as the SS so we can simply copy paste the line in).

Comment

• I'm here and will need about 30-45 minutes. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                                I have serious doubts we can do a competitive additive draft again ... the last one was a bit of a disaster. 2 guys picked the right uber-punt strategy (punting 4-6 categories), and it was basically a 2 horse race from the 7th round onwards ... the rest were just making up the numbers. One of the problems is that people will just keep drafting down the middle, punt the 1-3 categories, or punt and semi-punt a few, and if that happens, the uber-punt is the only way to win ... even the ratio/save punt becomes a winning strategy.

The comparison with this draft is stark ... there are probably 6 of the 9 competitors who can realistically win and we are in the 21st round. That keeps the interest levels very high and makes it a lot more competitive.

I like punt and semi-punt strategies ... but if ruins the draft for 70% of the participants ... it's hard to justify.

You might be interested in this thread I started last year sometime ... a lot has changed since I posted this ... we tried additive again, and it didn't work well.

Where Jamie Quirk has more value than Buster Posey. It's RJ's own take on fantasy baseball -- Vintage Drafting.

In that thread I mentioned that 5 and 6 category punts were not winning strategies ... as VD1 Redux showed, when most people are drafting with a multi mindset, it's probably the only way to win.

----------------

1. Exchanging a player ... could be interesting.
                                2. Auctioning ... I like it .... but I would be clueless about how this would work.
                                3. KO's are great
                                Since it was my first draft I was totally unaware of what was going on in VD1 relative to a "normal" draft. As far as auctioning, I was figuring everyone would get an arbitrary number of units to purchase their draft spots out of the first 2-3 rounds. I like that anyone has a chance to buy there top position. We'd have to work a lot of the details and also figure out how to make the auction go relatively quickly, but I think it would be doable if there was interest.
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X