No announcement yet.

*!* VD 2 Commentary Thread *!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating picks now... gimme a few _________ <---- (insert time joke here)

I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Do you have keepers?
      Yes, it appears my keepers are decent although very young. . Posey and Santana at C, Kelly Johnson, Moustakas, beltran, Dominic Brown, Desmond Jennings, Homer Bailey, Cueto, Tommy Hanson, D Price, Kenley Jansen, T Stauufer.

Still have about 22 out of 26 bucks to fill out the 3 additional pitchers and 5 or 6 hitters. Haven't looked at whos available but I've been told it's pretty thin. I think we'll need to not be stingy and buy some strong hitters early even if we overpay...
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      ---------------------------------------------
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        Yes, it appears my keepers are decent although very young. . Posey and Santana at C, Kelly Johnson, Moustakas, beltran, Dominic Brown, Desmond Jennings, Homer Bailey, Cueto, Tommy Hanson, D Price, Kenley Jansen, T Stauufer.

Still have about 22 out of 26 bucks to fill out the 3 additional pitchers and 5 or 6 hitters. Haven't looked at whos available but I've been told it's pretty thin. I think we'll need to not be stingy and buy some strong hitters early even if we overpay...
        So your budget is $26 instead of $260? That's a simple enough conversion to standard leagues. You also need to factor in inflation which runs 15-25% in most leagues. So, using this or another price guide, figure the going rate for top players will be about 20-30% higher than their actual value. You can set your league parameters as well as enter keepers if you have time for that.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I'm looking over who the teams you guys are drafting so far...and I'm starting to think some of you have a strategy you started with for the draft....I feel like EZEagle right now.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
            I'm looking over who the teams you guys are drafting so far...and I'm starting to think some of you have a strategy you started with for the draft....I feel like EZEagle right now.
            Stop touching yourself then...
            I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
            You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
            "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
            It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
              4.14 Craig Biggio C/2b/OF) 1998

Toss up with 1997...went with higher avg year... 20 less runs, 16 more BA pts... right/wrong decision?

20-88-123-50-0.325
              I've always thought 1997 was clearly his BY.

Comment

I'm looking over who the teams you guys are drafting so far...and I'm starting to think some of you have a strategy you started with for the draft....I feel like EZEagle right now.
                You can strategize a bit in multi-scoring format ... but not that much. You won't go wrong drafting down the middle and re-evaluating about round 12.

Comment

• Good news, gang. I have achieved Office! I'm now working on creating a spreadsheet to track players, picks and standings.
                  "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                  "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                    Good news, gang. I have achieved Office! I'm now working on creating a spreadsheet to track players, picks and standings.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                      I've always thought 1997 was clearly his BY.
                      I don't know...in an OBP draft, I think sure, but BA? What do you other guys think?

Code:
                      Year	AB	H	HR	RBI	R	SB	BB	HB	SF	PA	AVG
                      Code:
                      1997	619	191	22	81	146	47	84	34	7	744	0.309
                      Code:
                      1998	646	210	20	88	123	50	64	23	4	737	0.325

Comment

• 1997 no-brainer to me ... but if you think you will need BA ... then it may pay off.

Comment

• If I'm taking a year based solely off value, I'm taking the 1998 season. If I want 23 more runs and willing to eat the BA, I'd take 1997.
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

If I'm taking a year based solely off value, I'm taking the 1998 season. If I want 23 more runs and willing to eat the BA, I'd take 1997.
                            I was looking at another line ... yeah it's pretty close, but I think in general I like 1997 because with early picks the BA has to be pretty spectacular to forego serious counting stats (and 16 pts with a lower AB count is fairly easy to absorb). He's a player I never pick ... there's always something wrong, either he goes to early for my liking (B) or in this draft he would be a poor match up with Billy Hamilton. I don't remember ever seriously considering drafting him. Like Eddie Plank and Cap Anson.

Comment

• Spreadsheet is up and running. Started a new thread.
                              "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                              "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Hopefully RR gets online soon ... won't get past me tonight. I'll pick in the morning if it gets to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X