*!* VD 2 Commentary Thread *!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    I was actually kinda surprised that Max Carey was still around. 750+ SBs at this point is gold -- especially with a decent enough BY in the 1910s. I searched every thread to see if he was taken/KO'd and I just missed it, but I didn't find anything.
    Yeah ... surprised he wasn't picked up earlier ... especially with KO's taking their effect on the 20's and the resultant rush for players. I'm not sure if his 20's BY isn't more valuable ... might be a push. Taking the generally weak 10's, and new weakened 20's, Carey in the 14th seems like nice work.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
      In terms of ideas for the future -- how about a vintage "auction?" 4 or 5 players get nominated per day. Too complicated? Could be fun.
      We have had this brought up before. I've never done an auction of any kind (I even use Buy It Now on eBay), so I would royally blow. But I'm be up for anything.

Comment

In terms of ideas for the future -- how about a vintage "auction?" 4 or 5 players get nominated per day. Too complicated? Could be fun.
        It might sound good but I think the logistics would be a nightmare.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• One of us could produce $ values for the players, then we could draft with a budget constraint.
          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            It might sound good but I think the logistics would be a nightmare.
            You may be right but it could be made to be relatively simple. Think about it -- we typically get through 5-6 picks a day (sometime more, sometimes less). So if the next 5-6 owners in the nomination order post their nomination either the evening before or the next morning and each player is up for 8-12 hours, it could work. If you don't post your nomination, you're skipped.

Comment

You may be right but it could be made to be relatively simple. Think about it -- we typically get through 5-6 picks a day (sometime more, sometimes less). So if the next 5-6 owners in the nomination order post their nomination either the evening before or the next morning and each player is up for 8-12 hours, it could work. If you don't post your nomination, you're skipped.
              Yes, but how would you cut off bidding? You'd have to leave a window for everyone to up the bid when they want and not everyone has the same schedule. It wouldn't be fair to have a specific cut-off time for the same reason. So bidding would take a LOT longer than drafting.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• The only way you could really do it with time zone issues would be to send blind bids to an email account that someone would open each day. The blind bids could be interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  We have had this brought up before. I've never done an auction of any kind (I even use Buy It Now on eBay), so I would royally blow. But I'm be up for anything.
                  Given your success draft in, draft out, in the VD realm JA - I won't bet against you even in an auction!

Comment

• For several years I ran a blind auction fantasy baseball league...I think a few people from RJ might have even been in it. I'd be willing to run a blind auction if you can get enough interest. We can work out the details as to what players are nominated and how and all that jazz. If I remember, I ran one day of notification of who was being put up for auction and letting everyone know who was won and by who, and one day for bids to be sent in. On the 48 hour schedule we ran through 20 players, I think. Probably be best that each person nominate one player for each round, blind.

I got a bunch of ideas on how it could work, but I'll cease and desist for now.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• spreadsheet is current up to riff raff's pick in Rd 14.
                      "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                      "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
                        Given your success draft in, draft out, in the VD realm JA - I won't bet against you even in an auction!
                        If you're willing to give me odds I'm willing to bet on myself sucking

I'm not even sure I know how auctions work:

People throw out names in turn, and everyone gets a chance to bid on them? It ends when everyone's roster is filled?

I know nothing about the tactics, or how to value players, or how to build a team etc.

I will suck for the first couple of these guaranteed ... what odds will you give me

Comment

• We have way too many minor leaguers in rjel. An 18 team mixed league doesn't need to go up to 270 deep in the minors. Not to mention that one guy, every year gives away good players just to stuff 15 minors guys in there.
                          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            You mean team Pee?
                            He finished the last three seasons 17/18, 16/16, 16/16, and has already started 18/18 after leaving $50 on the table at the draft. How long will it be before he dumps his $97 worth o Justin Upton and Tim Lincecum for some more pitching prospects?

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                              We have way too many minor leaguers in rjel. An 18 team mixed league doesn't need to go up to 270 deep in the minors. Not to mention that one guy, every year gives away good players just to stuff 15 minors guys in there.
                              yeah, at this point I feel like I'm being lame with my research because I'm just drafting Phillies players that I like, but that's all I know at this point.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                yeah, at this point I feel like I'm being lame with my research because I'm just drafting Phillies players that I like, but that's all I know at this point.
                                I wonder how many pitchers and catchers are being started in that league that were held since their minor league appearances.

Comment

Working...
                                X