*** VD 15 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Maybe i dont understand....so the SS we use likely doesn't have all the players that will be drafted ?
    For career, I think we have a comprehensive list of the QUIZY's and rarer letters, and perhaps a less comprehensive list of the more popular letters (i.e players who will never be selected)

The BY list will need to be reviewed. In the last draft, CB noted a BY that perhaps should be on the SS that wasn't.

The total data runs to 150K rows, most of that is irrelevant or invalid. So we can't (shouldn't?) include it all.

I'll be looking into the BY stuff for the next draft.
    Last edited by johnnya24; 05-15-2020, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      For career, I think we have a comprehensive list of the QUIZY's and rarer letters, and perhaps a less comprehensive list of the more popular letters 9i.e players who will never be selected)

The BY list will need to be reviewed. In the last draft, CB noted a BY that perhaps should be on the SS that wasn't.

The total data runs to 150K rows, most of that is irrelevant or invalid. So we can't (shouldn't?) include it all.

I'll be looking into the BY stuff for the next draft.
      I would prefer to just have a dataset defined that we can all use without looking in other sources. Even if it leaves out some guys
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I would prefer to just have a dataset defined that we can all use without looking in other sources. Even if it leaves out some guys
        We have never had this, but that is what we are working towards ... a SS that has all the info, and can easily be adjusted and set up for every draft type. It takes time though.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          We have never had this, but that is what we are working towards ... a SS that has all the info, and can easily be adjusted and set up for every draft type. It takes time though.
          I understand that part and appreciate all the work people put in. I just think we should define the set of players that are draftable to be those in the SS
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I understand that part and appreciate all the work people put in. I just think we should define the set of players that are draftable to be those in the SS
            I disagree. The spreadsheet is a tool to use. You can create your own tool, or you can use the one Johnny provides. Up to you. But the set of players available is the players defined by the rules, not by a particular person's spreadsheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I disagree. The spreadsheet is a tool to use. You can create your own tool, or you can use the one Johnny provides. Up to you. But the set of players available is the players defined by the rules, not by a particular person's spreadsheet.
              I agree. Half the fun is trying to find players who help who are so obscure that they aren't on the spreadsheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                I agree. Half the fun is trying to find players who help who are so obscure that they aren't on the spreadsheet.
                Blech....i guess i will download from Lahman
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Blech....i guess i will download from Lahman
                  99% of the draftable players and years are there ... there may be some anomalous strategies that find an outlier, but it's mostly good.

Ideally I want all the draftable years on the sheet, and I want it to be comprehensive. But it never was a comprehensive list.

It's on the to-do list to rebuild the BY sheet when I add some new data for future drafts.

Comment

• I like the idea of the spreadsheet not having every single permutation possible actually.

It's like the difference in yearly fantasy between a live auction and an auction on CBS where everyone sees the same ADP rankings from the same source. The live auction is so much more appealing for me.

It's fun to have different strategies and different lists / etc. If we are all just looking at the same spreadsheet it's not as interesting for me. The idea of being able to find something that no one has considered before is interesting. Not that it happens, but at least it's possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      I like the idea of the spreadsheet not having every single permutation possible actually.

It's like the difference in yearly fantasy between a live auction and an auction on CBS where everyone sees the same ADP rankings from the same source. The live auction is so much more appealing for me.

It's fun to have different strategies and different lists / etc. If we are all just looking at the same spreadsheet it's not as interesting for me. The idea of being able to find something that no one has considered before is interesting. Not that it happens, but at least it's possible.
                      I agree 100% again. And live auctions are so much more fun for other reasons, too. If we can convince those in power to do a real VD live draft at one of those spring things one day, I would so have lots of explaining to do to my wife about where I am going and why, lol.

Comment

• Let's get started on Monday, and have everything ready by the weekend.

Provisional:

1 Controller J
                        2 JohnnyA
                        3 Frae
                        4 TS GARP
                        5 Heyelander
                        6 Cavebird
                        7 Bene
                        8 hacko
                        9 Revo
                        10 DMT
                        11 Ken
                        12 Feral

New:

13 jmaeroff
                        14 mookietyme

To Be Decided:

(1) Number of drafting slots - 25 or 27
                        - 25 would be 3x QUIZY / 2xWC (same as VD 14)
                        - 27 would be either 5x QUIZY /2xWC or 4x QUIZY / 3xWC or 3x QUIZY / 4xWC

(2) Do we allow "Flips". Since many players have multiple eligibility, we could implement a rule to allow each team to "flip" a previously chosen eligibility. So for instance, You could flip Foxx's Franchise from PHA to BOS, if later in the draft you think you might want/need a PHA player. It would add a bit of flexibility, which might be needed given that we are entering new territory here.
                        - if this was included, how many flips per team? 1? 2? More? Keeping track is the main issue here ... 1 or 2 should be fairly easy.

(3) Modern and Deadball eligibility ... retain as 3x3x3 (MH, VH, VP), or expand to 4x4x4

Anything else? Since this is the first Franchise draft in 15(?) years, I feel less is more until we get a feel for it.
                        Last edited by johnnya24; 05-20-2020, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• If we had a consensus opinion we could avoid poll:

(1) 25 (just in case)
                          (2) No flips: there is enough flexibility with the Players and number of franchise that this is not necessary IMO
                          (3) No change needed to Modern & Deadball IMO - 3x3x3

Comment

• Monday's a holiday here.

Anyone hit up mjl?

4x4x4 for flexability
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I would think 4x4x4 on Deadball at least since there are so many teams that are only deadball. Given that most of the non-contemporary/deadball era featured just 14 franchises, the limitations here could be a major problem. Basically, everyone would be forced to take a bunch of modern pitchers (since they are not limited).

I still think that franchises should be treated like positions and there is no need for "flips"---they can just float---otherwise the dual franchise eligibility of a player gives that player little benefit.

How many franchises are there total?

Comment

• I would imagine Garp is out. He didn't have much interest during the last one, he kept telling me. Maybe things have changed, but I don't think so.

Comment

Working...
                                X