No announcement yet.

*** VD 14 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was just thinking, if there's no baseball in 2020, I won't have to rebuild the spreadsheet for next year. We can use this same sheet for umpteen drafts. Great news!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      I will hopefully have Franchises ported over to the Spreadsheet by the end of this draft.

I have all the player-year-franchise data sorted on a sheet. I just need to find a way to collate it so that each players franchise eligibility is clear and sortable. And I can't think of an elegant way to do it ... without brute forcing a column/row grid. My hack excel skills meet a wall when confronted by these tasks. Let's just say, my solutions tend to be "creative"

Franchises and Decades will be next.
      And with this in mind ... does anyone recall the minimum year per franchise for eligibility.

I think it was 5. And unless someone says otherwise, that's what I'm going with.

Comment

I will hopefully have Franchises ported over to the Spreadsheet by the end of this draft.

I have all the player-year-franchise data sorted on a sheet. I just need to find a way to collate it so that each players franchise eligibility is clear and sortable. And I can't think of an elegant way to do it ... without brute forcing a column/row grid. My hack excel skills meet a wall when confronted by these tasks. Let's just say, my solutions tend to be "creative"

Franchises and Decades will be next.
        I thought it was going to be franchises, decades, and letters just to be evil.

Comment

• AND ... if I can sort out a way to do this, I might be able to add "Peak Year" data to the spreadsheet also. Though this is more of a long-shot.

I tried this several years ago. The idea was that, instead of using BY, we would use the average of 3 or 5 consecutive years of a players career, which would constitute peak years performance, rather than a 1-off BY. So for instance:

Pedro Martinez's best 5 year average :

1997-2001 - 17w 163k 2.18era 0.926whip

3 year average:

1998-2000 - 20w 283k 2.25era 0.922whip

It's unlikely that I can make this work in an automated way ... but maybe. An alternative way would be to throw a lot of man hours at it on baseball-reference.com, and manually compile the data using B-R.com's automatic compiler. This would be doable if I had some volunteers.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
            I thought it was going to be franchises, decades, and letters just to be evil.
            Let's walk before we crawl through the fiery pit of hell that will be the decade-letter-franchise draft.

Comment

Let's walk before we crawl through the fiery pit of hell that will be the decade-letter-franchise draft.
              I would think then that letters and franchises would work better than decades and franchises because a lot of decades would become force picks for the shorter-time franchises available then. For example, it might exclude Braves and Cubs from the 1870's because you almost need those franchises from the teens through 60's when there where only 14-15 franchises total. To me, decades a little bit overlaps with franchises.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                Downloaded the most recent spreadsheet and my problems are solved! Had to re-input my formulas which is always kind of a chore but.....

Holy crap the hit_comb and pit_comb sheets are amazing!!!! I swear, if I'd have used these things all along I'd be undefeated. Well, maybe not that but having rankings like that is just fantastic. Thanks for the work on that, Johnny! How long has that been in the sheet?
                just D/L it. Merck gave me a nasty warning when I went to dropbox, but I said I didn't care. Will be looking for work again soon.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

The last 2 or 3 drafts at least.

The black tabs are my creation (Snapshot, hit_comb, pit_comb). The rest is original copyrighted Kevin Seitzer (apart from the flourishes on the Rounds sheet).

Glad someone is making use of them. I have to re-remember how to build those pages every time I compile the spreadsheet. If you do it right, you should be able to copy paste your formulas from one draft to the next.
                  Funny, I don't think I ever looked at them, but created them on my own every time.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    Funny, I don't think I ever looked at them, but created them on my own every time.
                    You never looked at the Snapshot?

Comment

You never looked at the Snapshot?
                      explains a lot? No, I meant the combined pages. I always just added the career stuff to the BY pages

Comment

Yeah, me too. Took quite a while back in VD1 with my poor excel skills
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

explains a lot? No, I meant the combined pages. I always just added the career stuff to the BY pages
                          Yeha I always wonder who sees discussions and update posts. I should really start spamming updates combined with PM's so everyone is aware of stuff.

Comment

• via Imgflip Meme Generator

Comment

AND ... if I can sort out a way to do this, I might be able to add "Peak Year" data to the spreadsheet also. Though this is more of a long-shot.

I tried this several years ago. The idea was that, instead of using BY, we would use the average of 3 or 5 consecutive years of a players career, which would constitute peak years performance, rather than a 1-off BY. So for instance:

Pedro Martinez's best 5 year average :

1997-2001 - 17w 163k 2.18era 0.926whip

3 year average:

1998-2000 - 20w 283k 2.25era 0.922whip

It's unlikely that I can make this work in an automated way ... but maybe. An alternative way would be to throw a lot of man hours at it on baseball-reference.com, and manually compile the data using B-R.com's automatic compiler. This would be doable if I had some volunteers.
                              I can do it automatically if you need me to, that's like 10 minutes of work at most assuming I have all the data correct (and I can spot check the data against a known good source of your choosing, i.e. the spreadsheet).

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                I can do it automatically if you need me to, that's like 10 minutes of work at most assuming I have all the data correct (and I can spot check the data against a known good source of your choosing, i.e. the spreadsheet).
                                We would need to decide if we are going to make it dynamic of just create a static list of available "peak years". The later might be easier.

We will need a lot more player data on the sheet, though I have the 2019 Lahman sheets to make that a lot easier.

If we are to make it dynamic, we'd need to create a way for players to plug in year ranges.

The static option is definitely easier and certainly doable, especially with Lahman.

Comment

Working...
                                X