• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    $10 says he's pulling a Johnny from VD6
    Who's Johnny, she said?

Comment

Also known, at least in my mind, as the GladHeAteHer strategy.
      punting wins and K's ?
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        punting wins and K's ?
        No, punting ratios.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Also known, at least in my mind, as the GladHeAteHer strategy.
          "Pulling a Johnny" wink, wink
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            punting wins and K's ?
            Which is pretty easy to do in these drafts because you can easily surpass the IP threshold and get two certain automatic QUIZY pitchers that no one else would ever bother with.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Random observation- the Randy Johnson pick for some reason reminded me of his early years when he was not as good. It would be fun to do a hacking mass type competition on one side of the standings.

i.e. instead of best year, you choose worst year, trying to accumulate the best team for careers and WORST team for BY. We'd need some kind of minimums for the BY obviously, but otherwise just invert the standings. Would be funny.

Comment

• Randy Johnson was my other choice, but went with Piazza instead.

Comment

Which is pretty easy to do in these drafts because you can easily surpass the IP threshold and get two certain automatic QUIZY pitchers that no one else would ever bother with.
                  I briefly flirted with an idea of trying to get such good ratios that I could absorb one of those guys without tanking ratios, but it costs way too many good letters and really makes the K's tough to come by.

And, yes, I sort of figured that was where revo was going at this point, although you never know. He still has tons of good letters left to build a staff. At this point, it is probably smart for him to keep both avenues open and just take hitters until he has to make the choice when enough pitchers are gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    That’s a great question. It might be technical, or it might be that all the money the govt is pumping in is working, or it might be that investors just think this is a good buying opportunity. I don’t really know.

I’m only about 50% invested and maybe 25%-33% for clients. I’m still betting on a pullback, maybe not to the 19,000 low, but maybe to 20,000-21,000 on the Dow. If it does that, I’d pile back in 100%.
                    So... having trouble wrapping my head around something...

I think about all the money lost by travel and leisure. Concerts, weddings, restaurants, vacation, tourism, airlines, sports, movies, brick and mortar retail, there's months of nothing for these people, so that money is gone. But it's not really gone, right? It's just not spent, so I guess it had to stay were it was. Some of it shifted I guess, maybe streaming service membership is up, maybe more amazon purchases (though I don't think so) more cooking at home (although food producers are getting killed by the lack of restaurants) but the rest just sat where it was? People didn't spend it? So the people that can weather this, are they doing better? The money is still there, right? Unless you are in the 10%+ that got laid off. Is it just consolidating further in the wealthy? Or at least upper middle class that can work from home? Is the money still there somewhere, and we added a ton to it in stimulus?
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post

I think about all the money lost by travel and leisure. Concerts, weddings, restaurants, vacation, tourism, airlines, sports, movies, brick and mortar retail, there's months of nothing for these people, so that money is gone. But it's not really gone, right? It's just not spent, so I guess it had to stay were it was. Some of it shifted I guess, maybe streaming service membership is up, maybe more amazon purchases (though I don't think so) more cooking at home (although food producers are getting killed by the lack of restaurants) but the rest just sat where it was? People didn't spend it? So the people that can weather this, are they doing better? The money is still there, right? Unless you are in the 10%+ that got laid off. Is it just consolidating further in the wealthy? Or at least upper middle class that can work from home? Is the money still there somewhere, and we added a ton to it in stimulus?
                      Money is an abstract principle. It is worth only what people decide it is worth. The pieces of paper and computer pixels or whatnot are inherently valueless. Therefore, it can go away very quickly if the money or assets are considered to have less value. Beyond that issue, the world is a productive place---people everywhere add to the wealth of the world through their work, making things, mining minerals, or whatever. When people stop doing that for a significant amount of time, the world has less wealth, and it feeds back into the valuation issue---the prices of stocks and other assets inherently have the continued productivity of the world priced into them. When that productivity diminishes significantly for a long period of time, those valuations go down. So yes, wealth can easily be lost, all the time in paper terms, and in real terms when the world is less productive, such as during recessions and pandemics.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post

A lot of concepts embedded in this post --- capitalism, laissez faire economics, wealth, value, marginal utility. What do you mean when you say "money" or that "it's not really gone"? Relative wealth? Or physical money? Both?

Comment

• Gotta say, my corona beard is growing in nice and beefily. The traitorous hair on the top of my head has abandoned me but not the whiskers!

Comment

Gotta say, my corona beard is growing in nice and beefily. The traitorous hair on the top of my head has abandoned me but not the whiskers!
                            I've got a ridiculous Corona 'stache.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I cut my goatee into a CDC-approved Thurman Munson-esque horseshoe stache

Comment

• What's the status of the SS?
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X