*** VD 14 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    I'd like to officially propose that we do something about the last round problem --- should we revisit blind picks for the last round like we've discussed in the past?
    The last time it was discussed was because I screwed up and had an even number of rounds, that is, the person who drafted first also drafted last *derp*. Didn't realize until it was too late.

Personally I'm OK with those drafting last in the first also get to draft last in the final round. Though saying that, it rarely makes a difference.

There is definitely a slight advantage to drafting in the first slots, especially in certain formats. But it is only slight.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      There is not usually an advantage to picking last. Particularly in a letter/decade format
      The advantage of an early pick in round 1 farrrrrr outweighs the advantage of pickimg last
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        There is not usually an advantage to picking last. Particularly in a letter/decade format
        Yep; I would agree with that---there usually isn't any overlap and the picks are obvious. This time we have three teams with wild cards left with 1910's, 20's, and 30's hitters left. All kinds of possibilities there. Hell, there are good hitters with eligibility in all three decades.

Comment

• Now that I look at it, Hisashi Iwakuma was a pretty decent final round QUI.

Comment

• They're doing a top 10 baseball players of all time thing on ESPN's facebook feed and the first voting option is.......Pete Rose? Lol, right.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Mariano Rivera? Uh....
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• They are lamenting the omission of Ken Griffey, Jr.

Comment

• I mean, Babe Ruth is very, very clearly the #1 of all time in my book. I get that he didn't have the same competition or whatever but still......it ain't close, imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    Now that I look at it, Hisashi Iwakuma was a pretty decent final round QUI.
                    Pretty solid. I probably should have waited on him
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      Now that I look at it, Hisashi Iwakuma was a pretty decent final round QUI.
                      I had you second division before I found that pick. Now 3rd. He might be a good one, lol.

Comment

I mean, Babe Ruth is very, very clearly the #1 of all time in my book. I get that he didn't have the same competition or whatever but still......it ain't close, imo.
                        It depends on worth over competition or overall best---the modern players with the modern methods have an advantage in the latter. If the former, you have to try to consider Paige and Gibson, and there is no way to compare them with any accuracy.

And, thinking about it, I can help you with your projections---I can PM you my projections for me and heyelander since you will know the actual picks before you pick, and it might speed things up. Seem fair Johnny? (if he signs off on it before I sign off for the night, I will send it).

Comment

• There are some pretty sick players who are going to go undrafted. One of them is an absolute shocker to me. Maybe two.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            It depends on worth over competition or overall best---the modern players with the modern methods have an advantage in the latter. If the former, you have to try to consider Paige and Gibson, and there is no way to compare them with any accuracy.
                            Yeah, I still think it's clearly Ruth no matter who you include. I mean, the guy was one of the best pitchers in the league. He has the 3rd best ERA of starters in the modern era! Then he went on to not only set HR records, but to so annihilate them that today's equivalent would be someone hitting 350 HRs or something in a season. The battle is for second.

Comment

There are some pretty sick players who are going to go undrafted. One of them is an absolute shocker to me. Maybe two.
                              Chip McGarr ?
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

There are some pretty sick players who are going to go undrafted. One of them is an absolute shocker to me. Maybe two.
                                I have at least three, but with decades and letters, it is tough. Hell, if we ever do decades, letters, and franchises, tons of insanely good players will go undrafted.

Comment

Working...
                                X