X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post

To you, not to SS Kresge
    I don't know when it was christened, anyway
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Happy Birthday !
      Thank you kind sir ! It is great to be 58
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

I've heard from a few people that the fifties are a great decade. So far I'm a little nonplussed.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I've heard from a few people that the fifties are a great decade. So far I'm a little nonplussed.
          I am mostly thankful to be alive, and I get to have a birthday dinner with my wife and kids. I can't really ask for more. Every decade is interesting and different. Since my dad passed away 4 years ago I think a lot more about life and death, what it all means, what I should do....no real answers, so i occasionally shitpoast here, lol.
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

From my experience the fifties are much more of a mental "challenge" if that is the right word. In my thirties and forties I was working and putting kids thru school, and everything was pretty much run on a schedule, no time to stop and think, or no need to. Now that the kids are graduated from college and I'm getting older I think more about what I should do in my last years (hopefully a few decades left, but who knows). Have I prepared my children for a successful life ? What do I want to experience or accomplish with the rest of my life ? I have more free time, what can i or should I do to leave the world in a better place or help others? Anyway, that is what I think about
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

From my experience the fifties are much more of a mental "challenge" if that is the right word. In my thirties and forties I was working and putting kids thru school, and everything was pretty much run on a schedule, no time to stop and think, or no need to. Now that the kids are graduated from college and I'm getting older I think more about what I should do in my last years (hopefully a few decades left, but who knows). Have I prepared my children for a successful life ? What do I want to experience or accomplish with the rest of my life ? I have more free time, what can i or should I do to leave the world in a better place or help others? Anyway, that is what I think about
              There are definitely some things I like about being in my fifties. I'm less worried about what other people think of me. There are times, certainly not all the time, but some of the time, where I feel like I know what I'm doing. I do have wisdom to pass on to the younger generation, whether with my own kids or with the younger employees at work. But in other ways it has been the toughest decade. My parents are getting older and probably only have a few years left. My relationship with my brother has gone downhill to the point it's pretty much broken. We used to be very close. My wife's dad died from colon cancer a couple months ago, and her mother has increasing dementia and needs help. And a couple of my kids are in college and I'm proud of them but there have been some definite major bumps in the road for one of them in particular. And the younger two are in high school, and between all of that, it's just a lot. And I can definitely tell I don't have the physical energy I had a decade ago, especially if I don't sleep or eat well.

On the one hand, I feel really blessed and thankful, and there are a lot of satisfying things about being this age. But on the other hand, things are happening that affect me and people I love and I have no control over them (aging, other people's choices, etc.).

Comment

• I also think a lot about what I am passing on, especially to my children, but just in general in the world. I think that's what you're talking about, too. All the stuff and all the achievements don't matter as much as it felt like they would when I was younger. Don't get me wrong, it's a ton of fun to win a World Series. But heck, most people have already forgotten that happened, and the world has moved on. It's a very nice memory for me, but it's not a lasting, growing legacy in the same way that friendships or raising children or passing along kindness to someone else is.

Comment

There are definitely some things I like about being in my fifties. I'm less worried about what other people think of me. There are times, certainly not all the time, but some of the time, where I feel like I know what I'm doing. I do have wisdom to pass on to the younger generation, whether with my own kids or with the younger employees at work. But in other ways it has been the toughest decade. My parents are getting older and probably only have a few years left. My relationship with my brother has gone downhill to the point it's pretty much broken. We used to be very close. My wife's dad died from colon cancer a couple months ago, and her mother has increasing dementia and needs help. And a couple of my kids are in college and I'm proud of them but there have been some definite major bumps in the road for one of them in particular. And the younger two are in high school, and between all of that, it's just a lot. And I can definitely tell I don't have the physical energy I had a decade ago, especially if I don't sleep or eat well.

On the one hand, I feel really blessed and thankful, and there are a lot of satisfying things about being this age. But on the other hand, things are happening that affect me and people I love and I have no control over them (aging, other people's choices, etc.).
                  I have a lot of those same experiences. It's really tough to see your parents, family and friends decline or pass away. My mom has had dementia for over 10 years and doesn't recognize us now. And trying to guide your children into adulthood is really hard and challenging . My sister and brother struggle with their relationship mostly due to politics, which always complicates family stuff. Yeah, the 50s is an interesting time
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Happy Birthday!
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post

Happy Birthday!
                      Thanks ! Hope you have a great day as well!
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                      X