*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    I remember doing a study of draft position back on the old site. There was something like a one-point advantage for the first two or three spots in the draft order, IIRC.
    If that's the case, should we devise a mechanism to ensure that those coveted slots get spread around evenly? For example, we could say those who receive a top-3 slot can't have one for following 2 drafts.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I remember doing a study of draft position back on the old site. There was something like a one-point advantage for the first two or three spots in the draft order, IIRC.
      I did something similar way back in the good ole days. Very slight advantage was my conclusion. And slightly less again in Decades as compared to Letter drafts.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        If that's the case, should we devise a mechanism to ensure that those coveted slots get spread around evenly? For example, we could say those who receive a top-3 slot can't have one for following 2 drafts.
        Didn't you vote against Feral's Top 3 demotion proposal? That was kind of the point of that proposal.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          Didn't you vote against Feral's Top 3 demotion proposal? That was kind of the point of that proposal.
          I was under the impression it was the top 3 finishers, was I mistaken?
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            I was under the impression it was the top 3 finishers, was I mistaken?
            Ah slots.

That's a whole other poll

Comment

I did something similar way back in the good ole days. Very slight advantage was my conclusion. And slightly less again in Decades as compared to Letter drafts.
              The team with Walter Johnson has finished first, first, third, and fourth in the last four drafts. Haven't looked further than that, but my valuations tell me it is more than a very slight advantage to own the Big Train.
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Can anyone find VD1 comment thread ? Or did the Devil take it with him when he left ?
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  Can anyone find VD1 comment thread ? Or did the Devil take it with him when he left ?
                  Some of the old site was archived, but not all.

VD1 was seen more as a historical draft. It became something more Fantasy like as we proceeded. We didn't draft any "modern" players in that first draft.

Comment

Some of the old site was archived, but not all.

VD1 was seen more as a historical draft. It became something more Fantasy like as we proceeded. We didn't draft any "modern" players in that first draft.
                    I'm talking about VD1 that we did like 5 years ago. We have a draft thread. I just can't find the commentary thread, I think perhaps ElD started it so it disappeared ?
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'm talking about VD1 that we did like 5 years ago. We have a draft thread. I just can't find the commentary thread, I think perhaps ElD started it so it disappeared ?
                      Ah right. Maybe Revo can recover

Comment

• You fix the Walter Johnson issue with my leftovers draft suggestion
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I think way too much is being made out of draft order. I dug up the old study I had done after VD15 on the old site. Here were the number of money finishes by draft slots, from 1-16:

Moreover, the finish for the Walter Johnson drafter in the last-name drafts on the old site was:
                          6th, 8th, 14th, 10th, 3rd, 2nd, 14th, 8th

I'm in favor of mixing things up for the sake of variety and not sticking people with the same player pool all the time. But in terms of competitiveness, I don't think it's a real issue.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I think way too much is being made out of draft order. I dug up the old study I had done after VD15 on the old site. Here were the number of money finishes by draft slots, from 1-16:

Moreover, the finish for the Walter Johnson drafter in the last-name drafts on the old site was:
                            6th, 8th, 14th, 10th, 3rd, 2nd, 14th, 8th

I'm in favor of mixing things up for the sake of variety and not sticking people with the same player pool all the time. But in terms of competitiveness, I don't think it's a real issue.
                            I don't think anyone is making a big deal, I'm fine with whatever we do. But I disagree having a top pick is a "very slight" advantage as Johnny stated, probably more semantics than anything. But it is interesting how much the standing change when you swap some of the top picks in the first round with some in the the last half of the round. I think the advantage is more than a few points, but I'm fine with that. Just hope to pick near the top one of these drafts.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Dues the analysys take into affect the average draft finish of each person picking? To say I only finished 5th when I had the first pick really isn't an indictment of its importance (or what not)... I aldi stunt care, just arguing so I can make a joke.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I don't think anyone is making a big deal, I'm fine with whatever we do. But I disagree having a top pick is a "very slight" advantage as Johnny stated, probably more semantics than anything. But it is interesting how much the standing change when you swap some of the top picks in the first round with some in the the last half of the round. I think the advantage is more than a few points, but I'm fine with that. Just hope to pick near the top one of these drafts.
                                Yeah of course replacing WJ with any other pitcher will makes difference, but it's not the whole story. Did you account for the fact that the guys drafting at the end can effectively get 2 1st rounders. The guys drafting at the top often end up with 3rd round level 2nd picks.

It's an advantage, but over a whole draft, it really is only slight. We've done, what, 35 if these? If this was as big an issue, this would have come up a lot sooner.

Comment

Working...
                                X