No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's snowing here in Houston. That can't be a good sign for the rest of you farther north.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      It's snowing here in Houston. That can't be a good sign for the rest of you farther north.
      We got a foot of snow starting Friday afternoon. It just warmed up this afternoon and is a sloppy mess.....bit I have power at least
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It's snowing here in Houston. That can't be a good sign for the rest of you farther north.
        Hope u get enough snow for the kids to have fun. I think Every kid in Seattle was out sledding yesterday
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          Hope u get enough snow for the kids to have fun. I think Every kid in Seattle was out sledding yesterday
          We got about 3/4 inch, I think, plus some ice. It was enough for youngest two to go out and have some fun.

A lot of people are without power, but so far we have not lost power yet. Houston south suburbs are especially affected, as one of the two units of the South Texas nuclear plant in Bay City shut down yesterday, for undisclosed reasons. The natural gas and coal-fired power plants across Texas are also having trouble operating. They just aren't winterized for this level of cold. Last I heard 4.4 million people are without power across Texas. Oddly enough, despite the stuff going around on Republican misinformation circles, wind energy output in Texas has actually exceeded expectation in this cold snap. Not that 2 extra gigawatts from wind helps very much when coal, natural gas, and nuclear are collectively coming up 25-30 GW short.

We did have one frozen pipe this morning, which I eventually got thawed out. It was down to 12 here last night after being 17 the night before. We just aren't built with the insulation on anything to handle that kind of cold. They say it may peek briefly above freezing today, which would be good.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Yikes! that's insane... was reading one of my brother's HS friend's accounts from Austin.

Um... dropped all the way down to the 40s here the other night?

Good for the goats and sheep that are behind my house right now. If it had snowed I imagine jen would have been trying to invite them into the house.

One of the sheep was sleeping yesterday and she was watching it for about an hour because it wasn't moving and was sleeping at an odd angle on its side. She was positive something was wrong with it, so she called the rental company and had them come out and do a welfare check. Right before they got here, it jumped up and started running around. She called them back and apologized, but they still came out and did a check. Guy got into the section they are "mowing" and called them, and the 3 dogs ran around and herded them all into a big group. No one was still laying dead on the ground, so he released them back to their work.

Listening to them and watching them jump around has been one of the best things that's happened in the last 8 months.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Probably a foot of snow up here north of Tejas. Still snowing right now.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• ERCOT, which is the agency that runs the Texas power grid, says they were 34 GW short of demand yesterday evening.

Here's the chart from ERCOT that shows wind power contributing 1-2 GW more than the 2-3 GW supply that was expected of it yesterday.

Comment

We got about 3/4 inch, I think, plus some ice. It was enough for youngest two to go out and have some fun.

A lot of people are without power, but so far we have not lost power yet. Houston south suburbs are especially affected, as one of the two units of the South Texas nuclear plant in Bay City shut down yesterday, for undisclosed reasons. The natural gas and coal-fired power plants across Texas are also having trouble operating. They just aren't winterized for this level of cold. Last I heard 4.4 million people are without power across Texas. Oddly enough, despite the stuff going around on Republican misinformation circles, wind energy output in Texas has actually exceeded expectation in this cold snap. Not that 2 extra gigawatts from wind helps very much when coal, natural gas, and nuclear are collectively coming up 25-30 GW short.

We did have one frozen pipe this morning, which I eventually got thawed out. It was down to 12 here last night after being 17 the night before. We just aren't built with the insulation on anything to handle that kind of cold. They say it may peek briefly above freezing today, which would be good.
                  Glad u still.have power. Losing power....not so good
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I think I will try to pretend Donald Trump is a Christian leader. And pretend I can't understand anyone who questions this reality
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      I think I will try to pretend Donald Trump is a Christian leader. And pretend I can't understand anyone who questions this reality
                      Mumble Self care mumble mumble
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Ugh, fucking asshole Republicans. Four million people are freezing without power in my state, and they are playing stupid political lying games about wind power. It really infuriates me. I go to even the supposedly lefty CNN site, and they are talking about how wind turbines are icing over in Texas. I just hate Republicans and what they have done to our ability to solve problems as a community.

Comment

• Why did STP Unit 1 go down yesterday? Maybe if there is a Republican in government or leadership, anyone, somewhere, even one, that actually cares about the people, they could investigate that, instead of mouthing off about fucking wind turbines!?!?

Comment

• It's going to be a damned cold day in hell before I ever cast a vote for another fucking asshole Republican ever again.

Comment

• I understand that a state can't necessarily prepare for every once-in-30-years event. I get that the answers may not be reassuring to people. But I really HATE that the Republican Party has turned this into an opportunity to lie to people. You run this fucking state. Man up and tell people the truth. Don't lie to score political points on climate change. Fuckers.

Comment

• I just got back online about an hour ago. I've been fully off grid for over a day, no power (heat), no wifi, no cell coverage (towers are down), phone coverage in and out, SMS in and out.

It was down to 40. My dad had to drive to my step brother's house because his was about to hit the 30s, and driving through ice was a safer proposition than freezing.

There's gonna be a huge death number with this I fear. My family is going to be okay but lots wont.

Comment

Working...
                                X