*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Dropping off my mom at an assisted care facility. In 30 minutes she alternated asking for a snack and asking if she could sleep. Each question about 10-15 times in half an hour. I sure wish our country would spend some money on Alzheimer/dementia research and other medical research that would benefit so many instead of spending billions on weapons and wars. Not holding my breath though.

Edit: end rant, sorry
    Sorry to hear that, that is really rough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      Sorry to hear that, that is really rough.
      Thanks, hoping it is harder for me than my mom. Really hard to understand what she comprehends
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Dropping off my mom at an assisted care facility. In 30 minutes she alternated asking for a snack and asking if she could sleep. Each question about 10-15 times in half an hour. I sure wish our country would spend some money on Alzheimer/dementia research and other medical research that would benefit so many instead of spending billions on weapons and wars. Not holding my breath though.

Edit: end rant, sorry
        Sorry, man. Hoping things go okay for both of you. And definitely agreed about our spending priorities in this country.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• My mom's mom had dementia for a number of years. I have vague memories of visiting her at her house when I was a little kid, and a couple years where she lived with my uncle and aunt, but most of the time I knew her she was in the nursing home. At first she knew who people were, but as time went on, she would forget, and finally toward the end wasn't very responsive at all. I know it was super hard on my mom, and I wish I had gotten the opportunity to know my grandma better when she had all her faculties. She didn't speak English, but my mom would translate. I assume it was probably Alzheimer's, but I don't really remember that being a term back then.

I agree about pouring money into research for Alzheimer's and similar diseases that affect so many. I was encouraged recently that they think they are making some progress against multiple sclerosis. It would be really good if they could do the same against Alzheimer's.

Regardless, it stinks.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Thanks for the thoughts. My mom declined quite a bit starting about 7 years ago. So it's not new, but after My dad passed away my brother/sister and I cared for her until she got the vaccine and we were comfortable moving her into a facility. Kind of a hard day though. It is a small place, only 6 patients. The people seem to be amazingly friendly and kind, so think she will do alright. Anyway, thanks !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Holy Fuck. Draft time out drama.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Holy Fuck. Draft time out drama.
                I'm not even clear on what the concern is. Did someone miss a pick? If not... who cares?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  I'm not even clear on what the concern is. Did someone miss a pick? If not... who cares?
                  He'll if I know. I just know I called someone a liar
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts. My mom declined quite a bit starting about 7 years ago. So it's not new, but after My dad passed away my brother/sister and I cared for her until she got the vaccine and we were comfortable moving her into a facility. Kind of a hard day though. It is a small place, only 6 patients. The people seem to be amazingly friendly and kind, so think she will do alright. Anyway, thanks !
                    Ugh... tough trip. Very sorry to hear. I watched my grand dad go through the same. Really rough watching him just unravel, from a smart, thoughtful, strong man to... nothing. It's tragic.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I just know I called someone a liar
                      I disagree....

Now I did too.

Comment

He'll if I know. I just know I called someone a liar
                        you know this huh? Why would we believe anything you say?
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                          My mom's mom had dementia for a number of years. I have vague memories of visiting her at her house when I was a little kid, and a couple years where she lived with my uncle and aunt, but most of the time I knew her she was in the nursing home. At first she knew who people were, but as time went on, she would forget, and finally toward the end wasn't very responsive at all. I know it was super hard on my mom, and I wish I had gotten the opportunity to know my grandma better when she had all her faculties. She didn't speak English, but my mom would translate. I assume it was probably Alzheimer's, but I don't really remember that being a term back then.

I agree about pouring money into research for Alzheimer's and similar diseases that affect so many. I was encouraged recently that they think they are making some progress against multiple sclerosis. It would be really good if they could do the same against Alzheimer's.

Regardless, it stinks.
                          Both MS and Alzheimer's are such awful diseases. MS runs rampant in my wife's family and left her grandfather in a nursing home for over 20 years.
                          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Can't wait for thr baseball talk to end so we can get back to discussing the 2 hour timer. So I can call people liars and shtuff
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Alzheimer's is my greatest fear, I'm sorry to hear (about your mom).
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Can't wait for thr baseball talk to end so we can get back to discussing the 2 hour timer. So I can call people liars and shtuff
                                I knew your disagree schtick would eventually come back to bite you on the ass.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X