*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    I'm curious what everyone is seeing in their cities and neighborhoods. Are people wearing masks, still obeying social distancing, etc.?

Most of the people in my area had been pretty good about following the protocols for last seven weeks or so, but toward the end of last week it seemed like everyone gave it up en masse. Neighborhood children are playing together again, adults from different households are shaking hands and standing within a couple feet of each other to talk. I made my first trip since this started to the grocery store tonight, and while almost all the employees were wearing masks, only about a third of the customers were, and those who weren't masked weren't staying six feet apart. I'm surprised and disappointed at how fast all the precautions have gone out the window after all the time we spent observing them together.

My church is still closed and being cautious about a reopening plan, but it seems like caution has gone to the wind on an individual level here for most people.
    I posted this on May 10. Texas at that time was seeing about 1000 new cases per day. Two weeks later, Texas was still seeing about 1000 new cases per day. In the three weeks since, that rate has steadily increased, and for the past week has been around 1900 new cases per day.

In my personal experience, mask wearing in the stores varies between about 25% and 60%.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• New cases are on the decline in the Northeast and upper Midwest but climbing elsewhere in the country. The blue line in the chart above tracks new cases in eleven states (NY, NJ, CT, RI, MA, PA, MD, OH, IN, IL, MI) with population of 100 million. The remainder of the states (population 232 million) are tracked in orange.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I posted this on May 10. Texas at that time was seeing about 1000 new cases per day. Two weeks later, Texas was still seeing about 1000 new cases per day. In the three weeks since, that rate has steadily increased, and for the past week has been around 1900 new cases per day.

In my personal experience, mask wearing in the stores varies between about 25% and 60%.
        Maybe 1 in 30 people are wearing masks here. If that.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          Maybe 1 in 30 people are wearing masks here. If that.
          I saw that UK cases continue to decline if i recall. Strange
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

New cases are on the decline in the Northeast and upper Midwest but climbing elsewhere in the country. The blue line in the chart above tracks new cases in eleven states (NY, NJ, CT, RI, MA, PA, MD, OH, IN, IL, MI) with population of 100 million. The remainder of the states (population 232 million) are tracked in orange.
            There are some states (and cities) that appear headed for disaster
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• For once, Louisiana is not one of the bad examples. We seem to shockingly be fairly well run at the moment. Go figure.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                I saw that UK cases continue to decline if i recall. Strange
                That's the lockdown.

Basic transmission masks will only make a difference if everyone (or at least a significant proportion) is/are wearing them ... and they would make a big difference if everyone was compelled to wear them. You could basically eliminate the spread if we all complied and wore masks for a few months. But our government are afraid to do it. They fear political fallout, based on the public reaction to such a demand, and the pressure on the police to enforce such a ruling given that most people won't conform.

We are not a very well behaved population.

Comment

That's the lockdown.

Basic transmission masks will only make a difference if everyone (or at least a significant proportion) is/are wearing them ... and they would make a big difference if everyone was compelled to wear them. You could basically eliminate the spread if we all complied and wore masks for a few months. But our government are afraid to do it. They fear political fallout, based on the public reaction to such a demand, and the pressure on the police to enforce such a ruling given that most people won't conform.

We are not a very well behaved population.
                  So when your lockdown ends ( i think it did ?) U expect a spike in cases ?
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So when your lockdown ends ( i think it did ?) U expect a spike in cases ?
                    It's beginning to end. Retail can open now; bars and restaurants from early next month; tourism sites from August.

We'll see about a 2nd wave. Hopefully if it does come again, we'll be better prepared to control it.

Comment

• Placer County Supervisor says masks are dangerous and face coverings don't help.

“Let me introduce you to the 2020 COVID-19 edition of the red ribbon the face mask,” Uhler said in the post. “Thinking you are going to be protecting yourself or somebody else, you might as well be walking around wearing one of these. (Aids awareness red ribbon)”

Local Roseville shop owner Shayni George doesn’t require her customers to wear masks inside her store.
                      “If I’m told to wear a mask, I wear a mask but I’m not going to lie, I do get kind of resentful,” she said. “I have a chemistry degree, for me, the science is not there.”

“Let’s not be afraid to live our lives. We have had nine deaths in Placer County. We are a county of 400,000 people,” Uhler said.

had to look up "chemist" Shayni George. She's a "independent fashion consult" who opened an art and furniture gallery.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

It's beginning to end. Retail can open now; bars and restaurants from early next month; tourism sites from August.

We'll see about a 2nd wave. Hopefully if it does come again, we'll be better prepared to control it.
                        So are all museums and so on closed now ? I wa supposed to head ovet in about 5 weeks, planning to cancel
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          For once, Louisiana is not one of the bad examples. We seem to shockingly be fairly well run at the moment. Go figure.
                          Scientific proof that alcohol based disinfectants like Bourbon and Gin do reduce the spread of Coronavirus!
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

So are all museums and so on closed now ? I wa supposed to head ovet in about 5 weeks, planning to cancel
                            I think we still have a 2 week quarantine for all foreign travelers ... not sure if this will still be in place in 5 weeks time.

Different parts of the UK are at different stages of lockdown. In Northern Ireland we are a bit ahead of everyone else in the UK.

Actually, our museums can open from 3rd July, but I believe we are the only part of the UK to make such an announcement. The queues for everything that has opened so far are crazy because of social distancing laws, and things are changing erratically.

The UK government has been so reactive and incompetent in dealing with this crisis. One day they make an announcement, then there's push back, then the next day they are "conducting a review".

Comment

• okay, so what is up with Revo's completely blank post? There is all sorts of intrigue in that. I mean, beyond just the thought of "what isn't he saying here" but how did he manage to accomplish it? And what is up with the option to "Mini-quote" it, and all the response options being on the left instead of the right? It's the most unique post on the whole board.

I'm fascinated!

Comment

• Currently watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix. Realizing how little I know about British history.

Comment

Working...
                                X