No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was worried for a quick sec there but we have the sizeable lead despite the best efforts of the screaming carrot demon to boost Sports Bar numbers with whatever the next psychotic, immoral, unethical, or straight up illegal thing he's going to do. No bemoaning not being able to fuck your daughter, Trump. We're trying to maintain a post lead here!
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• my favorite black and white movies starts and ends with Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• You ever seen Down by Law? It's a Roberto Benigni movie and it's black and white and it's fantastic. It's about three dudes breaking out of prison. Benigni, Tom Waites, and another guy. Good flick.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I haven't. I can't think of a lot that I have seen. I'm not even sure if I've seen Young Frankenstein start to finish. I caught The Maltese Falcon on one of those Fathom Events showings. That was pretty cool. I've always meant to see Casablanca at some point. I've never even seen It's a Wonderful Life. Never seen Psycho all the way though either.

I have seen Shindler's List. Maybe a couple of others that I can't think of.

Comment

• But I have seen Airplane. What kind of kid of the 80s never saw Airplane? There's something wrong with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              But I have seen Airplane. What kind of kid of the 80s never saw Airplane? There's something wrong with that.
              There's lots of blind people bro. Why you gotta hate on them.

Comment

But I have seen Airplane. What kind of kid of the 80s never saw Airplane? There's something wrong with that.
                I am just saving it for later. I have something to look forward to
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                ---------------------------------------------
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I never saw Airplane. I didn't see a lot of movies in the 80s and have only caught up with some of them since. I was Mennonite and movies were verboten.
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                    I am just saving it for later. I have something to look forward to
                    or to dread
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      I never saw Airplane. I didn't see a lot of movies in the 80s and have only caught up with some of them since. I was Mennonite and movies were verboten.
                      Moving from the big city to a tiny town in the Midwest, Kevin Seitzer was shocked to learn that his new small town had banned rock and roll and dancing. With the help of his plucky friend and rebellious girlfriend, he slowly convinces this conservative town and his girlfriend's stodgy, religious father, that dancing is pretty fucking cool after all. Oh, and movies, too, probably.

Comment

• ....and then everyone was fancy free.

Comment

Sprechen Sie Plautdietsch?
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            Sprechen Sie Plautdietsch?
                            Not really. I know a few phrases, and I took German in college and some of that transfers. The first language for both of my parents was Plautdietsch, but they both struggled with learning English as a second language and didn't want their children to do the same. They would talk Plautdietsch to each other when they didn't want my brother and me to understand or sometimes just out of habit without thinking about it, but they didn't do it enough for me to become conversant.

Comment

Not really. I know a few phrases, and I took German in college and some of that transfers. The first language for both of my parents was Plautdietsch, but they both struggled with learning English as a second language and didn't want their children to do the same. They would talk Plautdietsch to each other when they didn't want my brother and me to understand or sometimes just out of habit without thinking about it, but they didn't do it enough for me to become conversant.
                              My wife's family was kind of like this, but with Spanish. For them, there was a lot of pressure to assimilate to white culture so they made all the kids converse only in English. Most of her family one generation up can speak at least some Spanish but her generation didn't get much at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                                My wife's family was kind of like this, but with Spanish. For them, there was a lot of pressure to assimilate to white culture so they made all the kids converse only in English. Most of her family one generation up can speak at least some Spanish but her generation didn't get much at all.
                                Half of my wife's family is like that, and the other half is one generation up, with Cajun French.

Comment

Working...
                                X