*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    In Civ VI, where I now routinely kick the computer's ass, I rarely get a city to over 20.

Since I assume the games have similar rules, wouldn't stealing builders lead to endless wars? You can't steal a builder in Civ VI without declaring war.
    Civ 6 is very different to Civ 5.

Civ 5 is a "tall" game, that is, you want fewer large cities (in general), and a mega capital. There are various penalties to building too many cities and happiness is the ultimate limiting factor in that.

Civ 6 is a "wide" game, that is, you want lots of smaller cities. There is no penalty to building more and more cities, and your capital is not as important as Civ 5. Housing is the limiter in Civ 6, and that is a local factor calculated ona city-bycity basis, whereas Civ 5 Happiness is a global and applies to your entire empire.

Workers (Civ 5) and builders (Civ 6) work very differently. With regards to Civ 5, workers are permanent, and do not expire like in Civ 6. When we say "steal a worker," we mean steal from City States, not other Civs. There would be little or no point stealing Builders in Civ 6.

Sounds like you've never played Civ 5? I'd highly recommend it. It's far better than Civ 6, and a lot more fun. Civ 6 is like doing chores at times ... there is too much going on, too many features, and it's too slow IMO. Plus Civ 5 looks better.

Comment

• I haven't played Civ V. I do like Civ VI, but now that I have the combo that works, it's less fun and challenging.

I think it's time to move onto the next gaming challenge. I used to play the Total War series, but not sure I want to buy a 15-year old game. I used to like Hearts of Iron, but that grew very tedious.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        I haven't played Civ V. I do like Civ VI, but now that I have the combo that works, it's less fun and challenging.

I think it's time to move onto the next gaming challenge. I used to play the Total War series, but not sure I want to buy a 15-year old game. I used to like Hearts of Iron, but that grew very tedious.
        if you haven't played Civ 5, and you liked Civ 6, you really must. Unlike what you'd think, it really isn't a step back, plus you can pick up the complete version for super cheap these days

I'm not a huge fan or Paradox games lately ... aside from the enormous cost, they are releasing basically the same game over and over. HOI4 isn't really that different from HOI3, and games like Imperator: Rome are just remakes of their other games in new packaging. I've always meant to get deeper into EU4, but just never got around to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
          Short version of what Johnny said:
          1. Get a worker quick, steal a worker from a neighboring city asap
          2. Build happiness generating stuff asap
          3. Build or buy settlers asap until you get 4 cities
          4. Go nuts and do whateva!

You can grow your civ wide (many cities) or tall (few cities). Tall is easier for most ways to win - wide easier for culture wins. I usually go tall with tradition and maybe a policy or two in honor if I feel like fightin'.

And generally speaking, trying to focus on science will help just about any victory type.
          So i built like 6 or 7 cities, got bored and attacked and conquered a city state and another country. got some unhappiness and my cities started to stagnate around 8 to 12 citizens. Seems like too many cities can be bad because not enough land to feed them ? In general is it better to have fewer cities that are larger physically with higher population ?
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            So i built like 6 or 7 cities, got bored and attacked and conquered a city state and another country. got some unhappiness and my cities started to stagnate around 8 to 12 citizens. Seems like too many cities can be bad because not enough land to feed them ? In general is it better to have fewer cities that are larger physically with higher population ?
            You can choose either to go wide (many cities, likely with fewer people) or tall (fewer cities, more people per city). There are social policies that will enable you to do either one (tradition for tall, liberty for wide). Wide is MUCH harder to pull off because each new city is -4 happiness overall, so you'll really have to focus on happiness all the time.

There aren't big advantages to attacking city states, unless you really want to take their resources. I almost never attack them unless I'm playing Mongols or another warlike civ. Like Johnny said, though, you definitely should steal one worker from a city state as early as you can. Just go in, nab the worker, city state automatically declares war, you can immediately call for cease fire with them. There's a small penalty but not too bad. If you steal another one, you're fucked. If you attack city states or civilizations often without provocation your people will get super pissed off and your happiness will tank and other civs will start denouncing you. If you're strong enough none of that will matter. In the early stages it can be problematic.

Start with only 4 cities and use tradition. Start them all on a hill and near as many resources as possible. Best is on a hill, next to a river, next to a mountain, next to the ocean. Obviously not all of those are usually possible at once. Cities on hills are crucial though. You should have them all up and running before turn 100. If that's where you find yourself, attack the shit out of anyone you want. Just know that you'll have to have a BIG happiness cushion in order to do so.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

You can choose either to go wide (many cities, likely with fewer people) or tall (fewer cities, more people per city). There are social policies that will enable you to do either one (tradition for tall, liberty for wide). Wide is MUCH harder to pull off because each new city is -4 happiness overall, so you'll really have to focus on happiness all the time.

There aren't big advantages to attacking city states, unless you really want to take their resources. I almost never attack them unless I'm playing Mongols or another warlike civ. Like Johnny said, though, you definitely should steal one worker from a city state as early as you can. Just go in, nab the worker, city state automatically declares war, you can immediately call for cease fire with them. There's a small penalty but not too bad. If you steal another one, you're fucked. If you attack city states or civilizations often without provocation your people will get super pissed off and your happiness will tank and other civs will start denouncing you. If you're strong enough none of that will matter. In the early stages it can be problematic.

Start with only 4 cities and use tradition. Start them all on a hill and near as many resources as possible. Best is on a hill, next to a river, next to a mountain, next to the ocean. Obviously not all of those are usually possible at once. Cities on hills are crucial though. You should have them all up and running before turn 100. If that's where you find yourself, attack the shit out of anyone you want. Just know that you'll have to have a BIG happiness cushion in order to do so.
              What does building a city on a hill do ? Help with defense ? Played a few hours today and did a lot better. I was by the ocean with lota of fishing and a couple lighthouses. Went up to aboit 1400. Might start over at a higher level
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I get bored when I run out of places to build new cities and just start over
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

What does building a city on a hill do ? Help with defense ? Played a few hours today and did a lot better. I was by the ocean with lota of fishing and a couple lighthouses. Went up to aboit 1400. Might start over at a higher level
                  Your production starts higher and you can build stuff way faster. There might be some sort of defensive bonus but I can't remember.
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    I get bored when I run out of places to build new cities and just start over
                    I just made it to the 1700s. Simeone started a world comgress. Might keep playing to see how that goes. Plus carthage and i will attack russia in about 5 turns
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Holy crap, some dumbfuck Trump / "omg deep state" supporters (are there any other kind?) tried to invade Venezuela. :facepalm:

Comment

Holy crap, some dumbfuck Trump / "omg deep state" supporters (are there any other kind?) tried to invade Venezuela. :facepalm:
                        I'm coming under fire !!! will check back in when I have a chance
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'm coming under fire !!! will check back in when I have a chance
                          Did you survive the Bay of Pugs invasion ?
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Wait...not sure if you were invading or being invaded ?
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                              Did you survive the Bay of Pugs invasion ?
                              Bahia de Pugs as we locals call it
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                                Wait...not sure if you were invading or being invaded ?
                                Me neither, things got fuzzy after all the beer and rum
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X