No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The gaming computer I bought last week for $599 is now being sold for $528, so I call Amazon and they say “sorry, we don’t price match” and then they tell me to simply buy it again and send the first one back. I said I wanted to avoid that hassle for both of us, but they told me to do it (which I did). Pain in the ass, but $71 is $71!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      That's just an add on (it's call downloadable content or "DLC") but is not the entire game.

Here's the complete version for ~$13 https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/sid-...c-cd-key-steam
      cool, once I am sure it will run on my computer I will go for it
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        The gaming computer I bought last week for $599 is now being sold for $528, so I call Amazon and they say “sorry, we don’t price match” and then they tell me to simply buy it again and send the first one back. I said I wanted to avoid that hassle for both of us, but they told me to do it (which I did). Pain in the ass, but $71 is $71!
        If were confident enough to build it yourself, you'd get a much more powerful PC for that budget than a pre-built could offer.

A lot of people just don't like the hassle of building ... I get that.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          If were confident enough to build it yourself, you'd get a much more powerful PC for that budget than a pre-built could offer.

A lot of people just don't like the hassle of building ... I get that.
          This is easily the best computer I’ve ever had — and it’s tiny, to boot! I coupled that with a 32” Samsung monitor I picked up for $250.

I haven’t bought a new computer in over a decade, pretty psyched to have landed this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            So many accounts and steps....but i think i am almost there. Downloading now
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

This is easily the best computer I’ve ever had — and it’s tiny, to boot! I coupled that with a 32” Samsung monitor I picked up for $250.

I haven’t bought a new computer in over a decade, pretty psyched to have landed this one.
              If I recall, it was a small form factor Ryzen Quad core APU with no hyperthreading and no discreet GPU. Unless you're only using that for office work and browsing, it's not going to do anything else, nor can it realistically be upgraded because of the form factor. If you pushed the budget just a little bit, and got something that was more upgradable (Ryzen's with a good motherboard are incredible value for upgrading!), you could upgrade a budget PC today to be relevant for the next 5/6 years (at least). Quad cores are fast becoming obsolete, and that CPU does not even have hyperthreading/SMT.

But if you're only using it for office work and browsing, then getting the discount is nice. I admire the compulsion to go through the RMA process and re-dispatching ... I wouldn't have the patience for that

I feel bad not being positive about peoples purchases ... is that the correct etiquette? The polite me wants to only say nice things, like eating a horrible meal as a guest ... "how was it?" *disgusting* ... "hmmm ... delicious ... can i have some more?"

Comment

If I recall, it was a small form factor Ryzen Quad core APU with no hyperthreading and no discreet GPU. Unless you're only using that for office work and browsing, it's not going to do anything else, nor can it realistically be upgraded because of the form factor. If you pushed the budget just a little bit, and got something that was more upgradable (Ryzen's with a good motherboard are incredible value for upgrading!), you could upgrade a budget PC today to be relevant for the next 5/6 years (at least). Quad cores are fast becoming obsolete, and that CPU does not even have hyperthreading/SMT.

But if you're only using it for office work and browsing, then getting the discount is nice. I admire the compulsion to go through the RMA process and re-dispatching ... I wouldn't have the patience for that

I feel bad not being positive about peoples purchases ... is that the correct etiquette? The polite me wants to only say nice things, like eating a horrible meal as a guest ... "how was it?" *disgusting* ... "hmmm ... delicious ... can i have some more?"
                Now I'll never know if you really like my cooking
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Now I'll never know if you really like my cooking
                  Me @ 0.50

Comment

One of the best games ever ... I have (embarrassed face) over 5K hours in this game.

I'll give you the the perfect mod / interface setup if you get it.
                    Going thru tutorials...
                    May have questions later
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Well, this one was recommended by my brother in law who's a computer nerd and IT professional, but yes, that's about all I'm doing (and playing PC games that are 5+ years old, lol).

Comment

Going thru tutorials...
                        May have questions later
                        Seems to take my computer a while to load. Is it best not to exit and just pause the game somehow ?
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Well, this one was recommended by my brother in law who's a computer nerd and IT professional, but yes, that's about all I'm doing (and playing PC games that are 5+ years old, lol).
                          Pauls Hardware is a great resource for PC build suggestions, and he updates it every month with the best builds for particular budgets.

Here's his most recent $550 gaming PC build from 2 weeks ago. This trounces that PC in every way (apart from size ). This is more like what I'd expect from a $500 build ... note I much the "alternative" options he has here for the motherboard and case.

Comment

It will bog your computer down toward the end when there are so many units on the board and the AI turns are much more involved. My previous computer could run it no problem but turns got very long near the end especially if you have some of the animations enabled (you can switch them off in the game's options, particularly the aircraft one). My computer was ~8 years old, though and still didn't have much of an issue with it.
                            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Pauls Hardware is a great resource for PC build suggestions, and he updates it every month with the best builds for particular budgets.

Here's his most recent $550 gaming PC build from 2 weeks ago. This trounces that PC in every way (apart from size ). This is more like what I'd expect from a $500 build ... note I much the "alternative" options he has here for the motherboard and case.
                              Building your own is still the superior option but you're saving about ~$100-150 nowadays. My time is worth more than that, particularly with having to order many packages from many sellers, inevitably something is missing/wrong/broken/yada yada.

Just buy a premade one on ibuypower.com or one of those similar sites. Even the bargain basement ones are good to go unless you're trying to run the newest games on the highest settings.
                              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• That said, building a PC is very easy even for the technologically inept.

Comment

Working...
                                X