*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Thanks. I should spend more time worrying about my VD14 squad !
    It has been an interesting draft so far. Lots of unexpected picks and much different from VD6
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Thanks. I should spend more time worrying about my VD14 squad !
      I know I'm not...

Comment

• So what is life with Covid-19 like for you?

I've been looking after the parental-units for a few years now, so I had to move in with them when the lock-in started. I have to say it's been a real pain having to rely on my sister to deliver necessities. They do it, but it's a struggle ... and I don't ask for anything for myself because my Dad is so needy and demanding. I just have to make sure his moods are satiated. At least I'm eating healthier.

But living in lock-down with Coronavirus is easy compared to living with dementia. Self-isolation is a doosy for me, living with my Dad's dementia is driving me nuts, especially because he is such a difficult (and selfish) person at the best of times, and the dementia just exacerbates all his ... it's only been 2 weeks, and who the hell knows how many months this will last. I really don't see an end until we get a viable anti-viral treatment or a vaccine (which is an age away).

It's amazing how living with it, as opposed to just seeing it every day, are worlds apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          So what is life with Covid-19 like for you?

I've been looking after the parental-units for a few years now, so I had to move in with them when the lock-in started. I have to say it's been a real pain having to rely on my sister to deliver necessities. They do it, but it's a struggle ... and I don't ask for anything for myself because my Dad is so needy and demanding. I just have to make sure his moods are satiated. At least I'm eating healthier.

But living in lock-down with Coronavirus is easy compared to living with dementia. Self-isolation is a doosy for me, living with my Dad's dementia is driving me nuts, especially because he is such a difficult (and selfish) person at the best of times, and the dementia just exacerbates all his ... it's only been 2 weeks, and who the hell knows how many months this will last. I really don't see an end until we get a viable anti-viral treatment or a vaccine (which is an age away).

It's amazing how living with it, as opposed to just seeing it every day, are worlds apart.
          That sounds really tough. You are a good son. Dementia is such a horrible disease. My mom has dementia and my dad basically takes care of her. He is 88. They live 3 hours away and I try to get down every 2 or 3 weeks. We were looking at getting some type of help for him, but until this all plays out I don't think it is good to have someone come into their house.
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• My Life is Zooming my family
            - still working 4 am to 1 stocking shelves for the unclean.
            - popping in and out of AFib
            - playing play station with my 17 year old grandson( his birthday is today)
            - visiting my friend who I lived with 6 years when he got custody of his 2 boys and was between marriages. Just as this hit they told him he had 2 weeks to live( liver cancer) I went out 6 days the first week - 4 last week - and am heading out there right now. Just stop home to shower and make a quick pick.

Comment

Maybe it is just me, but this whole situation is a fucking emotional rollercoaster. I am ok most of the time, sometimes i am sad, and sometimes i am really angry
              It's definitely an emotional rollercoaster for me, as well. I am concerned for our country, concerned for my family and friends, and in both cases can't do a lot to help. My kids are barely getting an education, and while that is fine for a few weeks, I think this may well be a many-months thing, in which case I wonder if I need to try to take on teaching them in some capacity. I feel for the teachers who are trying to do an impossible job in this time. I'm going stir crazy staying in the house so much. I've gotten the family out once every weekend to go hiking on remote trails--yesterday was in a more populated park, and while everyone was respecting social distancing of 6 feet, I'm still not sure how comfortable I am with that. I've also been realizing how much of my self-image/esteem is wrapped up in being "productive" at work. At a time when being truly productive is impossible, I am reminded that just being with my family and being kind to them and relating to them is more important, but that reminder is not always as easy to take as it should be.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• I work from home normally, so what’s driving me nuts are my kids (and ahem, my wife) are home with me. I’ve worked from home for most of the last 5 years, so I’m used to the cabin fever nature, but I miss going out and meeting with clients and friends.

We were lucky enough to move last summer full-time to our now former weekend house. Our old house, which we rented out, was way too small and I would’ve gone crazy.

My sister is a nurse in a Ft Myers hospital and she was sent home today for 2 weeks for having a cough. She took the test, but will have the results in 2-3 days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  It's definitely an emotional rollercoaster for me, as well. I am concerned for our country, concerned for my family and friends, and in both cases can't do a lot to help. My kids are barely getting an education, and while that is fine for a few weeks, I think this may well be a many-months thing, in which case I wonder if I need to try to take on teaching them in some capacity. I feel for the teachers who are trying to do an impossible job in this time. I'm going stir crazy staying in the house so much. I've gotten the family out once every weekend to go hiking on remote trails--yesterday was in a more populated park, and while everyone was respecting social distancing of 6 feet, I'm still not sure how comfortable I am with that. I've also been realizing how much of my self-image/esteem is wrapped up in being "productive" at work. At a time when being truly productive is impossible, I am reminded that just being with my family and being kind to them and relating to them is more important, but that reminder is not always as easy to take as it should be.
                  good stuff. I relate to a lot of it. All I feel like I can do is try to keep my family safe, and that can be exhausting. If you try to eliminate every possible risk it becomes overwhelming. As Ken mentioned a long time ago, do you wipe down every single package you buy from the grocery store ? Where do you draw the line. What is reasonable ? I saw that locally they need some help at food banks, that might be something I could do to help other people, but I need to make sure it is a safe situation to volunteer.

Both my girls have online school and they seem to manage that well, one is a senior in high school and one is a sophomore in college, so that probably helps. Would be much more difficult with younger kids, or if the school system is not set up to effectively run online school.

the road trip I took to California to move my daughter out of her dorm was actually really good. I think I will try to take a few day trips to less populated areas to get out of the house and get some exercise. All the state parks are closed, so that makes it more difficult.

I'm really fortunate to have a job I can work online, as can my kids with their school. My wife is a mental health counselor and still goes to a clinic to work. We both still have jobs which is a blessing in this time. I really feel for folks who lost jobs or have to work in situations that require a lot of human interaction. I hope our government figures out how to help these people.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    I work from home normally, so what’s driving me nuts are my kids (and ahem, my wife) are home with me. I’ve worked from home for most of the last 5 years, so I’m used to the cabin fever nature, but I miss going out and meeting with clients and friends.

We were lucky enough to move last summer full-time to our now former weekend house. Our old house, which we rented out, was way too small and I would’ve gone crazy.

My sister is a nurse in a Ft Myers hospital and she was sent home today for 2 weeks for having a cough. She took the test, but will have the results in 2-3 days.
                    Best wishes to your sister. My wife went back to her nursing job at a hospital today after being sent home last week for a cough; she tested negative. Very nerve wracking.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      Best wishes to your sister. My wife went back to her nursing job at a hospital today after being sent home last week for a cough; she tested negative. Very nerve wracking.
                      Best wishes for your families and all nurses. I can't imagine what their job must be like. I have tremendous respect and appreciation for what they do
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

My wife is a mental health counselor and still goes to a clinic to work. We both still have jobs which is a blessing in this time. I really feel for folks who lost jobs or have to work in situations that require a lot of human interaction. I hope our government figures out how to help these people.
                        My wife is psychiatrist and is only seeing patients remotely via teleconference, is that an option for your wife? It should be.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          My wife is psychiatrist and is only seeing patients remotely via teleconference, is that an option for your wife? It should be.
                          Trying to find out. I have been pushing but trying not to push too hard. It really should be an option at this point
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Trying to find out. I have been pushing but trying not to push too hard. It really should be an option at this point
                            Apparently some clients don't have Internet access, so in person is required. She works with high school kids and this is pretty devastating in a lot of ways. My youmgest daughter found out today that her senior year, graduation. And prom are all cancelled. It is hard for her, but most of the kids my wife works with dont have a good support system at home so it is even harder. This kind of stuff doesn't make the headlines, but it really is important even if we can't put a dollar value on it
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Apparently some clients don't have Internet access, so in person is required. She works with high school kids and this is pretty devastating in a lot of ways. My youmgest daughter found out today that her senior year, graduation. And prom are all cancelled. It is hard for her, but most of the kids my wife works with dont have a good support system at home so it is even harder. This kind of stuff doesn't make the headlines, but it really is important even if we can't put a dollar value on it
                              I really can't type on a phone
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I really can't type on a phone
                                I can vouch for this.
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X