No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I definitely would've taken Christy Canyon, 1980s decade.

Do we have a SeitzerSheet yet for this?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      I definitely would've taken Christy Canyon, 1980s decade.

Do we have a SeitzerSheet yet for this?
      I don't start on that until the end of R1 ... then I'll build it. Also need to get the data for the missing 2010 BY's. KS gave me a link earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        yesterday we had 20 people viewing our forum and then it dropped to 1 or 2 a few minutes later. Strange happenings afoot.

Back to VD13 discussion, it's looking a lot like VD10 will be interesting to see the first surprise picks and if they relate to rules changes
        Probably bots, crawlers and spiders.

Yeah, almost the same as VD10 in case anyone wasn't aware. OBP is the only real change.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          I don't start on that until the end of R1 ... then I'll build it. Also need to get the data for the missing 2010 BY's. KS gave me a link earlier.
          I was working on adding BY's for hitters yesterday but have been busy with work today and haven't gotten any farther with it. My database source (MLBAM) doesn't have Lahman ID's for players who debuted post-2013, which is a bit of a pain. I went through manually and checked everyone that had a last name that matched a last name previously in our Seitzersheet and fixed those, but there are likely still some errors left. I'll probably just leave them and unless someone else wants to check them. At least I've guaranteed there are no collisions with existing players already in the sheet.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            I was working on adding BY's for hitters yesterday but have been busy with work today and haven't gotten any farther with it. My database source (MLBAM) doesn't have Lahman ID's for players who debuted post-2013, which is a bit of a pain. I went through manually and checked everyone that had a last name that matched a last name previously in our Seitzersheet and fixed those, but there are likely still some errors left. I'll probably just leave them and unless someone else wants to check them. At least I've guaranteed there are no collisions with existing players already in the sheet.
            If you could get me a reasonably complete set of BY's for the 2010's that'd be great. There's no real hurry either. I'll probably do the SS over the weekend, and even then, it's not urgent. We have most of the main draftable players who may go in the early rounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              probably bots, crawlers and spiders.
              Oh MY!!
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Sorry, didn't realize I was up. What's the last VD that used decades so I can check it out for reference?

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                  Sorry, didn't realize I was up. What's the last VD that used decades so I can check it out for reference?
                  Same as VD10 except OBP instead of Batting Avg
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• well that was quick... was taking henderson here...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      well that was quick... was taking henderson here...
                      The Heyelander I know wouldn't be deterred by someone else drafting Henderson first. Make your claim !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Did I just fuck that up, or did Willy really get a nice boost with OBP?

edit... no, I was looking at something else... never mind... fucked that up.

Comment

• Went back and forth on Henderson vs Bonds.

Comment

• That's the scoring spreadsheet from last draft. I've made the following edits:

1. Added about 200 hitters from the 2010s decade.
                            2. Added about 900 hitter best seasons from the 2010s decade.
                            3. Removed about 150 hitter best seasons that have never been used and have no reasonable prospect of being used (they were all additional seasons for a hitter where there was a better season for that hitter in that decade and the removed season was better in no category.)
                            4. Filled in decades for the hitters that were missing decades, except for about 20 awful QUIZY players that have no prospect of being used unless we do a combo decades-lastname draft and require 5 QUIZYs
                            5. Fixed some hitter best seasons that were in error (mentioned earlier in the thread).

What remains to be done:
                            1. Add pitchers from the 2010s decade.
                            2. Add pitcher best seasons from the 2010s decade.
                            3. Fill in missing pitcher decades.
                            4. Update the draft order and other various worksheets for VD13 from VD12. (possible to do that in another sheet if someone already has started, and to just use my stats updates)
                            5. Change/add OBP instead of AVG to the hitter sheets

Edit to add: Some of the post-2013 hitter playerIDs that I added are likely wrong, but none of them conflict with existing playerIDs in the spreadsheet. It would be good if someone can double-check these at some point. (If the player started his career after 2013, I assumed his playerID was in the form of trumpdo01, unless the first five characters of his last name were already in use in the spreadsheet, in which case I manually checked with BB-Ref.)
                            Last edited by Kevin Seitzer; 01-09-2019, 11:47 PM.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Had trouble logging in earlier, but just got back from school commission meeting and I'll pick shortly. Not sure what kind of school wants a commission member known as The Feral Slasher.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• And I guess this means I'm up, and I have no idea who I want to pick. I've been working on adding 2010 decade players to the spreadsheet but have spent no time on my own rankings. Guess I'll see if I can dig up an old decades VD and hopefully it won't serve me too poorly for the first pick.

Comment

Working...
                                X