*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post

Boudreau actually had a career. Maybe some of the other guys (Camilli, Gordon, Elliot, etc) if you squint hard enough. But that's not exactly a list of luminaries.
    looking up Phil Caveratta, led the league in batting avg. and OBP when he won the MVP. Lived to the ripe old age of 94 if I did the math right. I love reading about old time baseball players.

Phil Cavarretta - Wikipedia
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

looking up Phil Caveratta, led the league in batting avg. and OBP when he won the MVP. Lived to the ripe old age of 94 if I did the math right. I love reading about old time baseball players.

Phil Cavarretta - Wikipedia
      A first baseman hitting 5, 6, and 8 home runs in full-time play over three seasons wouldn't last very long in today's game. But back then Caverretta was getting significant MVP love with those numbers. Of course, a .400+ OBP helps a little.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

A first baseman hitting 5, 6, and 8 home runs in full-time play over three seasons wouldn't last very long in today's game. But back then Caverretta was getting significant MVP love with those numbers. Of course, a .400+ OBP helps a little.
        "OBP" wasn't even invented yet!

Comment

the list of MVP's from 1939 to 1948 is mind boggling even for a VDer.....Bucky Walters, Frank McCormick, Dolph Camilli, Mort Cooper, Joe Gordon, Spud Chandler, Marty Marion, Phil Caveretta, Bob Ellioot., Lou Boudreau.
          Of everyone on that list, the only one I hadn't heard of was Frank McCormick, but turns out he was a 9-time all star!

I collect old timey baseball memorabilia, but as it turns out, apparently not many others really do because the items haven't really appreciated in value over the years. In fact, much of what I have is probably worth the same as when I bought them 15-20 yrs ago. My son makes fun of me, saying that the only reason why these items sold is because a bozo like me bought them, and I'll never be able to sell them because I was the only one who would buy them!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post

Of everyone on that list, the only one I hadn't heard of was Frank McCormick, but turns out he was a 9-time all star!

I collect old timey baseball memorabilia, but as it turns out, apparently not many others really do because the items haven't really appreciated in value over the years. In fact, much of what I have is probably worth the same as when I bought them 15-20 yrs ago. My son makes fun of me, saying that the only reason why these items sold is because a bozo like me bought them, and I'll never be able to sell them because I was the only one who would buy them!
            Yeah, it always amazes me how a recent rookie card that has thousands of copies in existence can sell for hundreds of dollars more than a 100 year-old card that only has a couple dozen copies in existence.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post

Yeah, it always amazes me how a recent rookie card that has thousands of copies in existence can sell for hundreds of dollars more than a 100 year-old card that only has a couple dozen copies in existence.
              I don't really follow BB cards anymore, but I get ads and see stuff on BB twitter and other stuff. Really amazes me how the hobby seems to be promoting new stuff. Do people even try to get a complete set or buy cards for fun anymore, or is it just people interested in premium cards of prospects and superstars. One of the things I liked about baseball cards as a kid was getting the cards and looking at the stats on the back of the card. Or even just learning about all the players. I could be wrong, but I think that is a thing of the past. Of course no one needs to look at a card now to learn about the players. It's different....kids probably don't put them on their bikes to make a cool noise when they rub against the spokes either.
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I don't really follow BB cards anymore, but I get ads and see stuff on BB twitter and other stuff. Really amazes me how the hobby seems to be promoting new stuff. Do people even try to get a complete set or buy cards for fun anymore, or is it just people interested in premium cards of prospects and superstars. One of the things I liked about baseball cards as a kid was getting the cards and looking at the stats on the back of the card. Or even just learning about all the players. I could be wrong, but I think that is a thing of the past. Of course no one needs to look at a card now to learn about the players. It's different....kids probably don't put them on their bikes to make a cool noise when they rub against the spokes either.
                There are literally thousands of new cards issued every year. So, it is overwhelming for anyone to try to collect everything which has caused most collectors to focus on their favorite players or teams. I think that a lot of the older collectors don't even bother with the new stuff. Andrew McCutchen cards picturing him with the Pirates and Julio Rodriguez are the only current players that I collect.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post

There are literally thousands of new cards issued every year. So, it is overwhelming for anyone to try to collect everything which has caused most collectors to focus on their favorite players or teams. I think that a lot of the older collectors don't even bother with the new stuff. Andrew McCutchen cards picturing him with the Pirates and Julio Rodriguez are the only current players that I collect.
                  I agree with this. I tried doing it again with my son, who's really into it, but yeah, the sets are worthless, it's just the individual rookie cards. Even stud player cards are worthless. And even then, it's the PSA 10 graded mojo refractor autograph cards that show up once in every 500 boxes, which cost $40 apiece, that are the real collector's items. I tried buying ungraded rookie cards through eBay, but upon intensive review once purchased, these would likely grade out as PSA 8s or 9s, which make them worthless.

If you're not buying PSA 10s, or can't spot if an ungraded card would grade out as a PSA 10, or have no idea what rookie cards would do well, then don't bother.

We go to flea markets looking for cards/comics, and this one guy always gets in some boxes of stuff. There was one collection he got where the original owner had all these late 1980s/early 1990s cards, obviously expecting them to appreciate in value, since they were all curated well. But of course, as we know now, all of the cards from that era, with some exceptions, are totally worthless, because literally millions were printed.

Comment

Northwest Partially Cloudy

*****NW Weather report *********
                    Still partially cloudy, chance of sprinkles
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      Don't you have Gas Stations?

Spoiler!
                      we have gas stations, we'd have Petrol stations too if they weren't below us
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

California is number two among the states in mushroom revenue, at $217 million, which does not surprise me, given all the mushroom farms that I used to drive past in Gilroy. But can anyone guess the number one state? I would have had no idea.
                        I cannot guess the number one state. From my experience driving thru Gilroy it's all about the garlic. Too much sunshine for mushroomes.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Bene, that is. Don't think I pissed of CB. But who knows
                          I probably pissed of everyone, if not i hope to in the future.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Been a while since there has been a posting spree on VD13....I'm bringing sexy back
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Needless profanity coarsens the discourse.
                              I'll respectfully disagree
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

The antibiotics have controlled the flare-ups.
                                great news, I was quite concerned
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X