*** VD 12 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
    I do hope we can do another one of these after this ends. Vintage drafting is such a mindf!ck in the best way. I think it's probably as good for the brain as doing crosswords or sudoku or the various other things people do to keep their minds sharp.
    I agree. I'd be into another one starting up right away, during the barren time in sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      I agree. I'd be into another one starting up right away, during the barren time in sports.
      Before the draft, I proposed we jump straight into a Decades draft next, then after than a combo draft (of some description).

That said, I'd prefer a combo draft next. Decades and Franchises sounds painfully pleasant.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        Before the draft, I proposed we jump straight into a Decades draft next, then after than a combo draft (of some description).

That said, I'd prefer a combo draft next. Decades and Franchises sounds painfully pleasant.
        I'd like to move right into another draft. I'd prefer decades
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        ---------------------------------------------
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          I'd like to move right into another draft. I'd prefer decades
          I'd say a quick turnaround into Decades would be most suitable, especially with the holidays coming up.

Also might have another new drafter ... so throwing him into a combo draft would seem like cruel and unusual punishment.

Comment

• I've always been curious about a franchise draft. How does that work, exactly? I've been doing these since almost the beginning but I think I missed that one.

Comment

I've always been curious about a franchise draft. How does that work, exactly? I've been doing these since almost the beginning but I think I missed that one.
              You have to draft a player from each historical franchise (e.g., Boston-Milwaukee-Atlanta Braves, Washington Senators-Texas Rangers, Philly-KC-Oakland A's, etc.). We grouped some of the shorter-lived franchises together; I forget the details, but for example, maybe the Rays and Diamondbacks were collectively treated as one "franchise".

In other words, no last-name letter requirement.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                You have to draft a player from each historical franchise (e.g., Boston-Milwaukee-Atlanta Braves, Washington Senators-Texas Rangers, Philly-KC-Oakland A's, etc.). We grouped some of the shorter-lived franchises together; I forget the details, but for example, maybe the Rays and Diamondbacks were collectively one "franchise".

In other words, no last-name letter requirement.
                Any reason not to try that over decades?

Comment

It makes for a hell of a spreadsheet.
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Looking back at VD 13 from the old site, we appeared to have 37 franchises available. You couldn't take more than one player per franchise.

These were our franchises:
                    FranID
                    ANA
                    ARI
                    ATL
                    BAL
                    BLO
                    BOS
                    CHC
                    CHW
                    CIN
                    CLE
                    CLV
                    COL
                    DET
                    FLA
                    HOU
                    KCR
                    LAD
                    LOU
                    MIL
                    MIN
                    NYM
                    NYY
                    OAK
                    OEF
                    ONA
                    PHA
                    PHI
                    PIT
                    SDP
                    SEA
                    SFG
                    STL
                    TBD
                    TEX
                    TOR
                    WAS
                    WSN

I think the two franchise "groups" were OEF and ONA. I believe ONA was Original National Association. I don't remember what OEF was.

There were definitely some QUIZY and OVEN franchise equivalents.

ARI, LOU, ONA, PHA, TBD, WAS had four or fewer players picked in old VD 13.
                    BLO, CLV, COL, FLA, SDP, SEA had 6-10 players picked.

Comment

Yeah, like KS said, current SS not really set up to accommodate Franchises. but when / if Lahmam 2018 is released, we can easily add it. Pretty sure all that info is in there. At a stretch we could use 2017.

Comment

• OEF = Other Eastern Franchise

Comment

• open source project baseballdatabank has taken over the lahman db
                          They have team ids with their data, and Teams lookup table.
                          They had not completed 2018 last time I checked. 2018 data could be pulled by scraping baseball ref : "https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2018-standard-batting.shtml" and "https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2018-standard-pitching.shtml"
                          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            What do you know?
                            I should have just said "I don't know" to your third base reference
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• I have a couple simple scripts for getting the baseballdatabank data into mysql. I have only loaded batting, pitching and teams, but if anybody wants to load it themselves, it is convenient to see how those three are done.

edit: the scripts are simple text, not big - I can paste the text into posts here or more appropriately, the sql tread
                              Last edited by Controller Jacobs; 12-20-2018, 04:02 PM.
                              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• ... for MySql, I recommend the MariaDB opensource branch - Oracle bought MySql and as far as I know has stopped development on it

Comment

Working...
                                X