Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.03 Eckersly, Verlander, O'Rourke
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• 1.04 Extra Vehicular Otto

Comment

• This draft has been an unending series of buyer's remorse for me. I considered both George Davis and Arky Vaughan for my last pick but really didn't intend on nabbing them both. I think both are decent enough value at this juncture but did I really need to fill up my 2b/SS/MI slots already? Arky Vaughan is just empty BA, more or less. Well, what's done is done.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Interestingly, I have Clayton Kershaw with almost the exact same value as Sandy Koufax. They're right next to each other in my spreadsheet rankings, with Koufax possessing the superior BY and Kershaw having the better career numbers.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
            Interestingly, I have Clayton Kershaw with almost the exact same value as Sandy Koufax. They're right next to each other in my spreadsheet rankings, with Koufax possessing the superior BY and Kershaw having the better career numbers.
            Yep, I have Koufax (20th overall) only slightly ahead of Kershaw (32nd overall) as well.

Comment

• Am I the only one who thinks the best part of these vintage drafts is reading the SABR bios of the players that are linked from their BR pages? Some amazing characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Yep, I have Koufax (20th overall) only slightly ahead of Kershaw (32nd overall) as well.
                This is driving me crazy not having an updated spreadsheet. Maybe I'll have time this weekend.
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                  Am I the only one who thinks the best part of these vintage drafts is reading the SABR bios of the players that are linked from their BR pages? Some amazing characters.
                  Some of the old timey dudes are just amazing. There is one guy in particular, but he hasn't been picked yet. There is another unbelievably awesome story about how Old Hoss Radbourn came into his crazy 59 win season, but it also involves another pitcher who hasn't gotten selected yet.

Comment

Interestingly, I have Clayton Kershaw with almost the exact same value as Sandy Koufax. They're right next to each other in my spreadsheet rankings, with Koufax possessing the superior BY and Kershaw having the better career numbers.
                    Was just coming on to ask how far off the reservation I was with my kershaw pick. I compared him to both Pedro and joss, and while not quite there, he comes with a k rather than an R and is not vintage.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• He won't get picked, so it's fair game to talk about Len Koenecke (sp?). He got sent home during the 1930(?) season for being a crazy fuck. On the plane ride home, he attempted to hijack the plane. The pilot smacked him over the head with a fire extinguisher and Len died from the traumatic brain injury.

Comment

• On another note, how non-PC is the "off the reservation" saying... never thought of it until I just wrote it. I'll have to keep that in mind
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

He won't get picked, so it's fair game to talk about Len Koenecke (sp?). He got sent home during the 1930(?) season for being a crazy fuck. On the plane ride home, he attempted to hijack the plane. The pilot smacked him over the head with a fire extinguisher and Len died from the traumatic brain injury.
                          Warneke? I know the guy you are referring to above who will indeed get picked. I remember him being a favorite of yours.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                            Warneke? I know the guy you are referring to above who will indeed get picked. I remember him being a favorite of yours.
                            Never mind -- I see Koenecke now. Crazy!

Comment

• Ed Delahanty played his last game in 1903 after he essentially abandoned his team. He got super wasted and jumped off of Niagara Falls to his death. When his body was found a couple weeks later, he was only wearing shoes and a tie.

Comment

• Babe Ruth was part of maybe the weirdest no-hitter in MLB history. He was pitching, walked the first dude, and punched the umpire in the face thereby getting ejected. The Babe was replaced by Ernie Shore. The baserunner was erased trying to steal second and Shore retired the next 26 batters in a row.

Comment

Working...
                                X