*** VD 12 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    No if a player played at all during those seasons, he is a contemporary hitter. Same with Vintage hitters and pitchers right? Nothing to do with BY. If there is some BY reference in the rules I'll delete it when I get home.

We only use BY as the distinguishing factor in Decade drafts.

That said ... I'm super rusty on specifics. If you've time have a look and see if there are any other discrepancies.
    So no limit on "Post-Modern" hitters (2006-2018)?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      So no limit on "Post-Modern" hitters (2006-2018)?
      Yeah ... sucks for players who started their careers in 2003/4/5 etc, but like I said, better than nothing.

But it was always there from the other side. There were also players who finished their careers around 1999/2000, who fell into the Modern hitter category, when they played most of their careers in the 80's, outside the Roid era (well ... as far as we know of course).

... think Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn, Rickey Henderson.

If anyone is adamantly against the rule, speak up.

Comment

• Copy/pasta from draft thread:

RULE SUMMARY

- Standard Last Name Draft (23 unique letters, which means 3x QUIZY's must be picked)
        - 2x Wildcards (Extra P and OF slot added)
        - 14 hitters / 11 pitchers
        - Modern Hitter rule amended to exclude players from 2005 onwards (see rule 14)

SCORING

- Multi+1 Scoring (that is, we use multiplicative scoring with 2 as the bottom score instead of 1 etc)
        - Scoring categories Runs / HR / RBI / SB / Batting Average || Wins / Saves / K's / ERA / WHIP

---------

FORMATING

If it's not too much trouble I'd appreciate the following selection format:

Pick | Name | Position | Year (no hyphenation)

1.01 Player McName P 1969

Means it less work for me when I'm compiling the History Thread, otherwise I end up having to reformat every other post. Thx

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          Copy/pasta from draft thread:

RULE SUMMARY

- Standard Last Name Draft (23 unique letters, which means 3x QUIZY's must be picked)
          - 2x Wildcards (Extra P and OF slot added)
          - 14 hitters / 11 pitchers
          - Modern Hitter rule amended to exclude players from 2005 onwards (see rule 14)

SCORING

- Multi+1 Scoring (that is, we use multiplicative scoring with 2 as the bottom score instead of 1 etc)
          - Scoring categories Runs / HR / RBI / SB / Batting Average || Wins / Saves / K's / ERA / WHIP

---------

FORMATING

If it's not too much trouble I'd appreciate the following selection format:

Pick | Name | Position | Year (no hyphenation)

1.01 Player McName P 1969

Means it less work for me when I'm compiling the History Thread, otherwise I end up having to reformat every other post. Thx

I thought we got rid of contemporary pitchers? In Vd 9 - it was just hitters.

Comment

• Ok, so now I need some Excel help. I had an IF formula to determine 'Deadball' and 'Contemporary' but with the range now being adjusted to just 1999-2005, how would I fix it?

Current formula:
            =IF(G6<=1898,"Deadball", IF(H6>=1999, "Contemp", " "))

Comment

• So when are we getting the ball rolling?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Ok, so now I need some Excel help. I had an IF formula to determine 'Deadball' and 'Contemporary' but with the range now being adjusted to just 1999-2005, how would I fix it?

Current formula:
                =IF(G6<=1898,"Deadball", IF(H6>=1999, "Contemp", " "))
                =IF(G6<=1898,"Deadball", IF(OR(AND(H6>=1999,H6<=2005),AND(G6>=1999,G6<=2005 )), "Contemp", " "))

I'm assuming H6 is the first season of the career and G6 is the last season. So if the first season is between 1999-2005 or the last season is between 1999-2005, it will get labeled Contemp. I haven't actually tested it, but I think it should work.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  =IF(G6<=1898,"Deadball", IF(OR(AND(H6>=1999,H6<=2005),AND(G6>=1999,G6<=2005 )), "Contemp", " "))

I'm assuming H6 is the first season of the career and G6 is the last season. So if the first season is between 1999-2005 or the last season is between 1999-2005, it will get labeled Contemp. I haven't actually tested it, but I think it should work.
                  Sorry, G6 is the first year of the career, H6 is the last. It didn't seem to work. Maybe you can add it to the Google Sheet and I'll copy from there.

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                    I thought we got rid of contemporary pitchers? In Vd 9 - it was just hitters.
                    Really ... makes sense I guess. If we did we should really grandfather in that rule also.

Comment

• So the Contemporary Pitcher Limitation was indeed repealed in VD9. How quickly we forgot and returned to our old ways.

Hereafter today shall be know as Contemporary Pitcher Memorial Day. This of course doesn't affect Gregg, so he doesn't give a shit.

Rules have been amended.

TS Garp is on the clock.

If someone doesn't already post the SS, I'll post mine at the end of Round 1. Just have to find a way to get Excel installed now.

Comment

• I am going to be so bad at this the only numbers I have in my head right now are electoral.

Comment

• Damn... was really hoping you all would putz around long enough for me to call clock and claim the #1 and #2 picks.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Is mookie in the UK as well?
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              Is mookie in the UK as well?
                              Nope Chicago. I'll email him when he's up.

He didn't respond to your inquiry about the Amish and Toothpaste earlier. I'm not sure what to think about that. It's causing a fair degree of consternation.

Comment

• Has anybody told the Mike he is up?

Never mind just told him on FB.
                                Last edited by hacko; 11-07-2018, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X