*** VD 10 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    I couldn't afford to miss Paul Waner. Don't like making forced picks like that.
    Picks like that are like taking big poison.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• I picked 2 Quizy's from the same decade without doing it intentionally (Yount/Quisenberry)
      "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
      "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        I'll pick in a minute. We know that all the decade stuff in the spreadsheet is massively wrong, right? I have Deadball pitchers with a "1" under the 2010, 2000 tab. I have modern hitters hitting in the 60s. Shit, I gots all kinds o' stuff.
        What chu talkin bout, Willis? The DEC tab is accurate.

Comment

• download a more recent spreadsheet.
          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            What chu talkin bout, Willis? The DEC tab is accurate.
            Right, but the individual decade columns in the hitter & pitcher sheets are completely out of whack.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• yeah, something weird happened when Johnny copied the data I created into the spreadsheet. The raw data for decades (visible on my Google Drive link) is correct.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

The one on the first post of the Draft thread is incorrect. If you have a newer one than that, how about you post it.
                What? Shouldn't be?

Edit: the dropbox links are fine. Not sure what problems you're having.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Right, but the individual decade columns in the hitter & pitcher sheets are completely out of whack.
                  I don't really know what you're referring to. The "hit_seas" and "pit_seas" sheets?

All the data looks fine on my end, and I haven't updated anything substantial since the sheet was released.

This is exactly the same link as on the Draft and History Threads.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    Picks like that are like taking big poison.
                    I knew there had to be a pun involved!!

Comment

Hmm, I didn't realize how screwed I am. What happened to this draft?
                      I dunno ... your picks have been very solid throughout. Can't see any real weak links.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        I see what you mean. Was unaware anyone used those.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          I see what you mean. Was unaware anyone used those.
                          How do you find all of the pitchers eligible to be taken in the 1990s then if you're more concerned with career than individual seasons?
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Look at the decades listed next to a pitcher's name in the "pit car" tab. Pick any random pitcher. Mariano Rivera, for example, is shown as having pitched in the 1920s but no other decade. Ed Walsh is shown as having pitched in the 2010s and no other decade. It's not earth shattering, just makes it difficult to filter correctly.
                            Gotcha. I don't filter the career sheet, so only noticing that now. Must have been a muddle up in the way mjl extracted the data. I'm sure he can fix it for the next draft.

It doesn't affect the scoring, and the Snapshot page takes data from the player page, which uses the pit/hit_seas sheet.

For the next draft, I can add a sheet that pools the career and season data only one page for easy sorting. I already do this for my own rankings, but haven't put this on the scoring sheet yet.

Comment

• No, it's something in the way you imported the data into the spreadsheet. If you look in the GDrive folder (again, that's http://tinyurl.com/neutralmilkhotelsucks) and look in the CH.csv and CP.csv files, those columns are correct and don't match the spreadsheet version.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                                How do you find all of the pitchers eligible to be taken in the 1990s then if you're more concerned with career than individual seasons?
                                Using the spreadsheet I created since we started doing these things 10+ years ago! Frankly, I'm surprised anyone who's done more than a handful of these doesn't have their own spreadsheets/rankings using the career and BY stats.

Comment

Working...
                                X