No announcement yet.

*** VD 10 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For fucks sake. We pulled away, but then they realized the flight attendants would end up working too long and be illegal so we had to go back and get a new crew. Then we finally started to leave again and realized the copilot was now over and illegal so we are headed back to the gate to get a new pilot
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      It's not the finished article ... still needs the career stats updated from VD9.

LJ fixed the Rounds formula.

Now, hoping that mjl can use some wizardry to update the Career stats without losing the Position and Decade sections.
      I'm pretty sure that I can just return a CSV or TSV that you can paste directly into the columns you like without touching the other columns.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        For fucks sake. We pulled away, but then they realized the flight attendants would end up working too long and be illegal so we had to go back and get a new crew. Then we finally started to leave again and realized the copilot was now over and illegal so we are headed back to the gate to get a new pilot
        That sounds suuuuuper frustrating.

Then again, nice to see they are taking the regulations seriously.

Comment

• I'm working on this, although I am starting by redoing what Johnny's done so far with the Lahman DB since it's probably easier for me to do this the right way than to ask him to do parts of it for me.

In other news, I found an error on bbref! Hank Aaron has 13941 PA, made up of 12364 AB, 1402 BB, 32 HBP, 21 SH, and 121 SF. That adds up to 13940. I have no idea where the other one comes from.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
            I'm working on this, although I am starting by redoing what Johnny's done so far with the Lahman DB since it's probably easier for me to do this the right way than to ask him to do parts of it for me.

In other news, I found an error on bbref! Hank Aaron has 13941 PA, made up of 12364 AB, 1402 BB, 32 HBP, 21 SH, and 121 SF. That adds up to 13940. I have no idea where the other one comes from.
            One of the two of us got headhunted by Google ... I think gonna leave this one up to your judgement

I mentioned previously that it might be better if we use Lahman as the "final word" when it comes to stats ... rather than BR.com. That way we avoid any discrepancy between the data we use and B-R.com.

We could also use the 2014 stats for career, but allow any 2015 BY's.

Comment

Reaching on catcher's interference is the other way to get a PA without it falling in one of the categories you mentioned. Not sure if that applies in Hank's case or not.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• ah, it probably is, and isn't surfaced in the BBRef web page but exists in the underlying data.

Comment

• Done. Career data includes 2015. I didn't do anything to the BY sheets though. You'll need to put the logic for the "taken" and "ko" columns after dropping this data in, but you should be able to cut the entire contents of the doc and then paste them in to the appropriate sheets. I think. I don't actually have Office so I'm not sure :P

Access Google Drive with a Google account (for personal use) or Google Workspace account (for business use).

Note that these files include everyone so they are rather larger than they used to be. But if you want to draft Eddie Gaedel or Moonlight Graham, it's supported now.
                  Last edited by mjl; 11-01-2015, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• also if you want the SQL to make the Lahman database output our CH/CP sheet formats or if you want the perl scripts that merged in the 2015 data, I'll put them in that directory also.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                      Sent an email to Feral Slasher because 12 hours is too long to wait for someone whose name sounds so much like Sharp Talons.
                      I am awake and alive. Finished running my kids around town, I now have time to look this over and pick. Should be done within an hour or so, hopefully sooner...
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

also if you want the SQL to make the Lahman database output our CH/CP sheet formats or if you want the perl scripts that merged in the 2015 data, I'll put them in that directory also.
                        Great stuff! Thanks for doing this.

Any chance you can extract the 2015 BY's to a separate sheet?

Comment

• sure. Do you want me to be selective at all (AB, IP, some other constraint)?

Comment

sure. Do you want me to be selective at all (AB, IP, some other constraint)?
                            Just the basics would be great.

Batting:

playerid AB H HR RBI R SB BB HB SF

Pitching

playerid IP (or IPouts) H ER BB SO W G SV L

Comment

• no, I can get all the stats (well, actually I can't get HB or SF, but whatever), more do you want all of the players or just people who have above a certain number of AB or IP?

Comment

no, I can get all the stats (well, actually I can't get HB or SF, but whatever), more do you want all of the players or just people who have above a certain number of AB or IP?
                                AH gotcha ... yeah ...

Batters - AB over 100 AB's

Pitchers - Min 100IP OR 40 games

Comment

Working...
                                X