*** VD 10 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    The mobile version of this website is so broken. This is the 4th time I've tried to post this message.

I think we might need to do sine kind of upgrade.
    So what I tried to say ...

I'm down with a Franchise Draft, in fact I think I'd prefer that.

But I think we should do a Decades draft now, and use the time during the draft to discuss a Franchise draft. We haven't done a Franchise draft since the old site, and the rules aren't as straight forward as they seem, especially if we shift to BY Franchise selection rather than "majority years".

Plus, we have one new player, and Decades may be the most transparent form of the game for a new player ... one hitter and pitcher per decade ... super simple.

Thoughts?

Comment

• H
      Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      So what I tried to say ...

I'm down with a Franchise Draft, in fact I think I'd prefer that.

But I think we should do a Decades draft now, and use the time during the draft to discuss a Franchise draft. We haven't done a Franchise draft since the old site, and the rules aren't as straight forward as they seem, especially if we shift to BY Franchise selection rather than "majority years".

Plus, we have one new player, and Decades may be the most transparent form of the game for a new player ... one hitter and pitcher per decade ... super simple.

Thoughts?
      I was thinking the same thing. Let Chance get his feet wet and us discuss the franchise rule as we play.

Comment

• Keep it simple

Comment

• Give the Governor Harumph!
          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• I haven't had the time to even look at the new sheet, so I'm not going to have time to do this draft. I wish I could, but I'd just end up holding up the draft too much.

I'm out.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
              I haven't had the time to even look at the new sheet, so I'm not going to have time to do this draft. I wish I could, but I'd just end up holding up the draft too much.

I'm out.
              It would be a pretty boss thing if you wrote "I'm out" at the end of every post.

--------------------

"I thought that movie sucked.

I'm out."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                I haven't had the time to even look at the new sheet, so I'm not going to have time to do this draft. I wish I could, but I'd just end up holding up the draft too much.

I'm out.
                :looks around: there's a new sheet?
                "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                  Not yet. I'll get the 2015 stats updated over the weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                    Well, it's new to me. And I haven't looked at it.

I'm out.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Doesn't SDS sign all his PM's "Mike out"?
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Remembering Philly's 1915 World Series run

Philadelphia was the site of six of the first 12 World Series. Five involved the American League Philadelphia Athletics, who lost to the Boston Braves in 1914. In 1915 the classic was played for the first time in the city's National League park, Baker Bowl, when the Phillies faced the Red Sox.

Although Fenway Park was the home of the Red Sox, they played their home games in the Series at the newly-constructed Braves Field (40,000 capacity). The Philadelphia A's offered Shibe Park to the Phillies, also because its capacity (23,000) was greater than Baker Bowl (18,000), but owner William Baker declined. Instead, Baker added extra seats in front of the left- and center-field walls in an effort to increase the gate. Baker was criticized for the addition. A ball bouncing into the seats was ruled a ground-rule home run and in the end, it cost the Phillies. The World Series share for the Phils was $2,520.

Game recaps at link
                        The official website of the Philadelphia Phillies with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Keeping the Phillie theme going- next up is ::::

BIG ED DELAHANTY - noted for his strength more then his size.

**He is one of 5 Brothers who played Professional Baseball.
                          ** He played on the best OF in the 19th Century if not all time best
                          *** Is the only player to win Batting Titles in both leagues
                          *** First player to hit 400 , 3 times
                          **** Some Analyst place Big Ed as the greatest Right handed hitter
                          *** Fifth highest Batting Avg in MLB History and one of the leading Power hitters of the 19 Century.

Next to Lou Gehrig he probably is one of the most Tragic figures to play the game.

But it all started slowly - he played 4 season before hitting above 300 but once he did he never hit again below 323. He played all but 1 season in the first 14 for the Phillies. ( that 1 in Monte's Player League For Cleveland).
                          Starting in !894 Ed hit 407, 404 and 397 in consecutive years. In 1894 it might have been the greatest OF in baseball history 4 of them all hit over 400. - Ed 407 - Sam Thompson 407 - Billy Hamilton 404 and 4th OF Tuck Turner 416. Even tho the team hit a all time record 349 the team could do no better then 3rd. As a matter of fact in all the years he was in Phillie his team could never win a Pennant.
                          In 1899 he hit 410 - winning his first Batting title and leading the league in RBI's - it also made him the first to hit 400 3 times.

He was the 2nd player to hit 4 Hr in 1 game (all inside the park) And the only one to do it in a Losing effort - 8 to 9.
                          In 1899 he hit 4 doubles in the same game and IS THE ONLY PLAYER TO HAVE A 4 HR GAME AND A 4 DOUBLE GAME. THE SAME YEAR HE COLLECTED HITS IN 10 CONSECUTIVE AT BATS. he also had 2 6 hit games twice in his career.

In 1902 Ed started his journey of chasing the money while also wanting to win a pennant. He jump to the AL and Washington and won his 2nd batting title making him the only player to have won one in each league. This was also the time in his life that set up the tragedy that was coming . Longing to play on a Pennant winner Ed struck a Bargain with John McGraw to join the New York Giants but before that could happen a Peace settlement between the 2 leagues froze all the players with their old teams. Big Ed was not only stuck on a crappy Washington team but he owed McGraw money that he had been advance and his marriage falling apart he become despondent and started to drink heavily.

On the night of July 2 1903 he was kicked off the train that was about to cross the International Bridge over Niagara Falls for being drunk and disorderly. He tried to follow the train over the bridge and either fell through ties, jump or some suspected he was pushed FALLING INTO THE Niagara River. His body was found days later . Did he drown on his way to the Falls or Die from his plunge over the falls ????
                          Last edited by hacko; 10-10-2015, 04:20 AM.

Comment

• Dean Chance died today - he just lives down the road from me RIP

Comment

• Alright ... I'll set this up tonight and get to work on the SS. I think we did a standard Decades draft fairly recently, so maybe we just copy those rules?

Comment

• 1 TS Garp
                                2 Revo
                                3 DMT
                                4 Frae
                                5 Heyelander
                                6 Feral Slasher
                                7 Hacko
                                8 mjl
                                9 Johnny
                                10 Diablo
                                11 Controller J
                                12 Long John
                                13 Chancellor

That is VD9 + Chance ... is that everyone? Have I missed someone (Pogues obviously left off)

Comment

Working...
                                X