No announcement yet.

*** VD 9 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Taylor's stats are all correct in the SS.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• OK ... so why isn't LJ's [potential] last pick not registering on the SS?

FIXED

Comment

• Some surprising results coming up in this draft.

- The (likely) top 3 all punted pitching ratios = Revo, Johnny, Hacko (DMT 4th)

- Revo won because he scored the highest of the 3 ratio punters in pitching ratios (Revo 4-4 / Hacko 3-3 / Johnny 2-2).

- If we take away the +1 from multi scoring we get = Revo, DMT, Hacko (Johnny 4th)

- If we used Additive scoring, the top 3 would be: Revo, Johnny, Hacko (Eldiablo 4th)

It doesn't make a lot of difference which scoring mechanism we used in this draft. Revo wins comfortably in the Multi scoring formats, and narrowly (1pt) in Additive scoring.

My first impression is that, because we haven't drafting in a while, the easier strats were less prone to mishaps, and therefore scored highest ... and nothing is easier that ratio punting IMO. I would say it took me a good 12 rounds to get back in the swing of things, and I made a lot of errors ... I'm sure everyone did.

Comment

• I honestly had no plan whatsoever, and after taking Cy Young 2nd overall, I wasn't even thinking about a ratio punt. I used my typical "get crappy letters and some crappy positions out of the way early" strategy. I think my two key picks besides Young were Smoltz & Brock. With Smoltz, getting 55 BY saves AND 3,000+ Ks is unreal, and after taking him I went with a career save punt. But it was the Brock pick, which catapulted my hitting, when I thought I had a contenda.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            I honestly had no plan whatsoever, and after taking Cy Young 2nd overall, I wasn't even thinking about a ratio punt. I used my typical "get crappy letters and some crappy positions out of the way early" strategy. I think my two key picks besides Young were Smoltz & Brock. With Smoltz, getting 55 BY saves AND 3,000+ Ks is unreal, and after taking him I went with a career save punt. But it was the Brock pick, which catapulted my hitting, when I thought I had a contenda.
            Interesting you mention Brock because he was going to be my pick that round. Congrats!
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I honestly had no plan whatsoever, and after taking Cy Young 2nd overall, I wasn't even thinking about a ratio punt. I used my typical "get crappy letters and some crappy positions out of the way early" strategy. I think my two key picks besides Young were Smoltz & Brock. With Smoltz, getting 55 BY saves AND 3,000+ Ks is unreal, and after taking him I went with a career save punt. But it was the Brock pick, which catapulted my hitting, when I thought I had a contenda.
              At some point I was actually looking to see if I could be competitive in pitching and beat Hacko in the rush to the bottom ... even them I never even noticed that you were in that ballpark also. Also, it wasn't until you picked your 12th or 13th hitter that I realized I might have competition in the hitting cats.

Also surprised that Feral and ElD flatlined so much in the final 1/3. They seemed to be on great strats.

Comment

• Wells, all I know is I've been doing these VDs since at least 2003, and this is my first win. Do I get a prize? Entry into some exclusive nerd club? A milkshake shower?

Comment

Wells, all I know is I've been doing these VDs since at least 2003, and this is my first win. Do I get a prize? Entry into some exclusive nerd club? A milkshake shower?
                  You know ... I couldn't recall if you'd won one before ... I know you've been in contention, but I wasn't sure. I didn't want to be rude and ask

Huge congrats. Convincing victory, wasn't even close in the end!

Comment

Wells, all I know is I've been doing these VDs since at least 2003, and this is my first win. Do I get a prize? Entry into some exclusive nerd club? A milkshake shower?
                    Awesome job, glad you got a win. Milkshake shower coming up !
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      At some point I was actually looking to see if I could be competitive in pitching and beat Hacko in the rush to the bottom ... even them I never even noticed that you were in that ballpark also. Also, it wasn't until you picked your 12th or 13th hitter that I realized I might have competition in the hitting cats.

Also surprised that Feral and ElD flatlined so much in the final 1/3. They seemed to be on great strats.
                      I really struggled with this one. Felt like rounds 3-8 were good, but the rest of the draft was really a struggle. Looking forward to VD X.
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I lost.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          I lost.
                          cheating mofo
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

After Picking Eck - I was on the pick Bad Letter Career P Ratio Punt - I just didn't do it as well as Revo - congrats. But it was my best effort so far.

Comment

• Anyone else cringe when they saw nully had posted in the thread about Steve's wife?

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                                We are still waiting on Long John to pick, right?
                                It figures -- Long John will never make his pick, so this VD will never finish, and I'll never get to take my victory lap.

Comment

Working...
                                X