No announcement yet.

*** VD 9 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That would indicate a different understanding of the scoring than I have (which I am probably still wrong about).

My understanding: team A has (some amount of points in 19 other categories) and is in last in BY-AVG so has 2 points there. They gain a point. Now their score is (some amount) * 3 instead of * 2, which is a 50% increase. Or is there some postprocessing step after multiplying all the numbers together?
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
      That would indicate a different understanding of the scoring than I have (which I am probably still wrong about).

My understanding: team A has (some amount of points in 19 other categories) and is in last in BY-AVG so has 2 points there. They gain a point. Now their score is (some amount) * 3 instead of * 2, which is a 50% increase. Or is there some postprocessing step after multiplying all the numbers together?
      I think we take the log of the product. I might just be wrong and confusing everyone so i will let johnny or someone else confirm
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• oh ok. that's possible. I figured the score was just the first four digits of the total product.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          I think we take the log of the product. I might just be wrong and confusing everyone so i will let johnny or someone else confirm
          Yeah. e.g.

=10*LOG(I2*J2*K2*L2*M2*N2*O2*P2*Q2*R2*S2*T2*U2*V2* W2*X2*Y2*Z2*AA2*AB2)

The standings on the Snapshot screen do not include decimal points (it's rounded off). However, the Standings page does. Maybe that will more accurately show your team points changes?

Also note that multi scoring changes are very unpredictable ... much more than Additive scoring. This is also reflected in the fact that many teams are close to each other in the various categories. This is makes it very difficult to predict who will pick what in the final few rounds ... it's never obvious what is the best pick.

Or maybe you were looking at the "Sum" column on the Standings page? (the last few entries need to be fixed ... drag down the first formula and that should fix that column ... though it's just for reference purposes).
          Last edited by johnnya24; 09-01-2015, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Man, this draft has slowed down over the last couple of rounds.

Sorry, couldn't let a Vintage Draft go by without complaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
              Man, this draft has slowed down over the last couple of rounds.

Sorry, couldn't let a Vintage Draft go by without complaining.
              We're averaging just under a round per day ... that must be close to a record for a 12 person draft.

Yesterday it was mjl's fault for picking Gossage.

Comment

• I must be getting a little better at valuing the players. I say for the last 5 rounds my # 1 choice has been Picked that round before me . Then this round I was going to bed last night and sent Feral my pick " McCormick". Had to much time on my hand and saw only Heye needed a M (and a whole lot of O needs) so I gamble he would get back to me . I suck!!!!!

Comment

• I felt really bad taking McCormick after u sent me that. But heye would have probably snagged him anyway
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Heye said he is out gathering a bag of dicks I can eat for being such a Dumbfuck. He will waddle in shortly

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                      Heye said he is out gathering a bag of dicks I can eat for being such a Dumbfuck. He will waddle in shortly
                      Hacko on a Stars 'n Scrubs strat: First to finish QUIZY and 3 OVEN's, and still 5th in the standings ... and 4 of BCMSW. Career ratio punt ... total ratio punt?

Comment

• damn poker can be mean...

Small buy in, short-stack monday night regular tournament last night. I double up at one point, but I'm still only at a M of about 8 (chip leader at the end of this game is usually well below 20). I pick up AQ suited early and throw in a bet of about 3x the BB (which is nearly half my stack). I get a call, and an all-in bet that has me covered. Since I'm all in for half already I figure I'm committed, so all-in I go. The third guy who had chips also calls(?). Third guy has A8 suited, I have AQ and the all-in dude has AK off. Crap.
                        Flop comes 4QJ rainbow. (YES!)
                        Turn Q (WOOHOOO!)
                        River... 10. (You gotta be fucking kidding me!)
                        I guess it turned out the way it should have, but why tease me with the 2 queens in the first place!?!?
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          damn poker can be mean...

Small buy in, short-stack monday night regular tournament last night. I double up at one point, but I'm still only at a M of about 8 (chip leader at the end of this game is usually well below 20). I pick up AQ suited early and throw in a bet of about 3x the BB (which is nearly half my stack). I get a call, and an all-in bet that has me covered. Since I'm all in for half already I figure I'm committed, so all-in I go. The third guy who had chips also calls(?). Third guy has A8 suited, I have AQ and the all-in dude has AK off. Crap.
                          Flop comes 4QJ rainbow. (YES!)
                          Turn Q (WOOHOOO!)
                          River... 10. (You gotta be fucking kidding me!)
                          I guess it turned out the way it should have, but why tease me with the 2 queens in the first place!?!?
                          Automatic poker with those blinds. The only skill involved is not blinding yourself out. You got your money in in OK shape as it turned out.

Shoulda shoved rather than raise half your stack. If people aren't paying attention, and don't realize you are short stacked, they will often make incorrect loose calls (like the A8 guy). You don't want that. Ideally you want to get heads up.

A8 probably had to call given the stack sizes / blinds. But given that your were up against AK, you wanted the A8 to call. He gives you close to the right pot odds with the blinds and antes.

These one evening tourney's tend to end up as hyper turbos ... maximizing fold equity, using your whole stack as a hammer, and well timed gambles are the key to hyper turbos ... as well as identifying the players who aren't reading when the game is changing pace from normal --> turbo, and turbo --> hyper turbo ... those moments can be key to chipping up quietly.

Comment

• It is a goofy set-up. $20 for 2k chips (blinds start at 25/50 and go up every 15 minutes). You can add on 1k for another $10. any time you drop below 2k you can add on another 1k for $10. Unlimited rebuys ($10 for 1k up to 3k) up until the first break which is after 5 levels. Then there is a final $10 add-on for 2k chips. Then it is straight short stack poker. I usually can play for a few hours on $30 (initial buy in and 2k add-on at break) and I cash once a month which pays for it all (there are usually 80-100 people playing). Most people play the first 5 levels like crazy because they can rebuy, but I try to stay tight. I hate having to rebuy.
                            I did have to rebuy at one point last night when I got all-in with an overpair of pocket jacks and got called by a flush and straight draw that he flushed.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              It is a goofy set-up. $20 for 2k chips (blinds start at 25/50 and go up every 15 minutes). You can add on 1k for another $10. any time you drop below 2k you can add on another 1k for $10. Unlimited rebuys ($10 for 1k up to 3k) up until the first break which is after 5 levels. Then there is a final $10 add-on for 2k chips. Then it is straight short stack poker. I usually can play for a few hours on $30 (initial buy in and 2k add-on at break) and I cash once a month which pays for it all (there are usually 80-100 people playing). Most people play the first 5 levels like crazy because they can rebuy, but I try to stay tight. I hate having to rebuy.
                              I did have to rebuy at one point last night when I got all-in with an overpair of pocket jacks and got called by a flush and straight draw that he flushed.
                              Yeah I never liked rebuys. Like you I tended to try and play normal, look for spots and take advantage of other players being too loose ... then get frustrated when your AKs loses to 83 offsuit . I think the optimal way to play depends on your volume. For an occasional tourney, your style is probably the correct path (seems that way to me anyway). For a high volume low/mid stakes online player, going a bit nuts in order to run up a big stack is advantageous.

I wish I still had the desire to play more.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                                The optimal way to play with rebuys, imo, is aggressive. I hate rebuys for just this reason. There's no substantial negative consequence for playing like a crazy man and often you'll double up or more along the way. If not, hey just throw some more money at your gambling problem. You know you want to.
                                i hate, hate, hate rebuying. Sometimes I'll take the initial 1k add-on if most of the table has it, but $40 is the most I want to sink into this. There's so much variance with playing crazy, it's rare that anyone stays chipped up... they chip up, go broke, chip up, go broke etc... the 2k add on at break makes it all moot to me. they guy who is playing crazy might enter the break with 8k if he's lucky. He chips up to 10k. I've stayed tight, am only in for $20 and maybe doubled up once and have 4K and chip up to 6K. blinds are close to 500/1000 at this point so everyone is in the same shitty spot. He's got a bit more wiggle room, but he's also in for $90 at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X