Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHD's Latest Top 150 Roto Prospects ("End of Season" Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whalewang View Post
    How does the Diamondbacks signing Tomas effect his current ranking?
    Thanx for the response, whalewang.

BEfore the news, I had Tomas ranked #51. He's finally signed (at least agreed to sign) and is going to a hitters' park. Very good raw power, but there are significant concerns over his contact rate. I've heard a comp of Jose ABreu w more risk. I really didnt know where to rank him exactly anyway. He stays where he is for the time being at least.

Comment

Hi RHD, I just pulled off a trade acquiring four prospects, and now have to cut four prospects from my list of 20. This is a 14 team league that goes 20 deep in the minors, so I think all of these guys have some value. I am having a tough time ranking them. My primary concern is long term ceiling, although of course floor matters too. Also, my league is a points league where we get 2 pts per steal, so steals are good, but not as good as they are in roto, which is why I'm a lower on Mallex. So with ceiling in mind, and a pts system that approximates roto closely but deflates steal a bit, how would you rank these guys?

Teoscar Hernandez
      Clint Coulter
      Chance Sisco (surprised he isn't ranked here)
      Justin Williams (surprised he isn't ranked here)
      Edwin Diaz (surprised he isn't ranked here)
      Dominic Smith (Klaw loves him, but I don't see it, am I missing something?)
      Joe Ross (Klaw loves him, but I don't see it...am I missing something?)
      Mallex Smith
      Harold Ramirez

For me right now, Ramirez and Smith make the most sense as cuts. Smith is an elite burner, but in my league, his lack of power limits his ceiling in my league. Same for Ramirez. Struggling with the other two cuts though. On performance I feel it should be Joe Ross and Dominc Smith, but Klaw's love gives me pause on both. Since you don't rank them here, I suspect you will say it is between Justin Williams, Edwin Diaz, and Chance Sisco, but I'd love to read your thoughts on them in relation to Ross and Smith in terms of upside. How would you rank those three if upside were weighted more?
      Last edited by Sour Masher; 11-27-2014, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        Hi RHD, I just pulled off a trade acquiring four prospects, and now have to cut four prospects from my list of 20. This is a 14 team league that goes 20 deep in the minors, so I think all of these guys have some value. I am having a tough time ranking them. My primary concern is long term ceiling, although of course floor matters too. Also, my league is a points league where we get 2 pts per steal, so steals are good, but not as good as they are in roto, which is why I'm a lower on Mallex. So with ceiling in mind, and a pts system that approximates roto closely but deflates steal a bit, how would you rank these guys?

Teoscar Hernandez
        Clint Coulter
        Chance Sisco (surprised he isn't ranked here)
        Justin Williams (surprised he isn't ranked here)
        Edwin Diaz (surprised he isn't ranked here)
        Dominic Smith (Klaw loves him, but I don't see it, am I missing something?)
        Joe Ross (Klaw loves him, but I don't see it...am I missing something?)
        Mallex Smith
        Harold Ramirez

For me right now, Ramirez and Smith make the most sense as cuts. Smith is an elite burner, but in my league, his lack of power limits his ceiling in my league. Same for Ramirez. Struggling with the other two cuts though. On performance I feel it should be Joe Ross and Dominc Smith, but Klaw's love gives me pause on both. Since you don't rank them here, I suspect you will say it is between Justin Williams, Edwin Diaz, and Chance Sisco, but I'd love to read your thoughts on them in relation to Ross and Smith in terms of upside. How would you rank those three if upside were weighted more?
        Thanx for the response, Sour Masher.

I'd cut the 2 catchers. I'm not looking at the list I posted now but I think I had Coulter ranked. He's no longer on the list. He didnt even make BP's Brewers Top 10 and that's a pretty weak system. I don't think either catcher will make many top 100 lists. I'd cut Ramirez, who also is no longer on the list. I've never played in a points league but I'll defer to you and cut Mallex. I would order the keepers like this: Hernandez (should be on a few top 100 lists), Ross (likewise), Diaz, then Williams. Diaz is not too far off the list. Williams is farther down. Pretty good power potential but practically all undeveloped rt now. In a typical roto league, I'd definitely keep Mallex over him.

Comment

Thanks RHD! Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Thanks RHD! Happy Thanksgiving! Btw, Where does Dominic Smith fit in there?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              Thanks RHD! Happy Thanksgiving! Btw, Where does Dominic Smith fit in there?
              Dominic Smith has been pretty disappointing so far and people are down on him. Still very young but 1 HR from a 1Bman is not good. He's a lot farther down the list.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

You already thought highly of Franklin Berreto (#34, up 30). Will moving him to Oakland affect that either way?

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                  You already thought highly of Franklin Berreto (#34, up 30). Will moving him to Oakland affect that either way?

J
                  Thanx for the response, J.

Nope, it doesnt affect my ranking of him. From a hitters' park to a pitchers' park, but he's too far away from MLB for it to matter now and a lot of his roto value is in his speed anyway.

BTW, Kiley McDaniel, whose work I think a lot of, has a piece today at FanGraphs in which he discusses Barreto: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/frank...naldson-trade/.
                  Last edited by rhd; 11-29-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I thought Berreto might have a significantly shorter path to the bigs.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                      Dominic Smith has been pretty disappointing so far and people are down on him. Still very young but 1 HR from a 1Bman is not good. He's a lot farther down the list.
                      I think I'll wait 'til he turns 20 next June to abandon ship

he's 6 foot, 185 which is not big for a 1B but he might add a pound or two and a little strength.

the league slash line was .261 .330 .381 .710
                      his was.........................279 .344 .338 .683

and he was the youngest hitter on the team (the Savannah Sand Gnats) with 35+ PA, and 2.5 years younger than the average player. holding your own against older players is a good thing.

that said, I realize that if and when he steps it up in 2015, he'll move back up the rankings.
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Rhd,

What are the thoughts on Michael Taylor? You have him ranked high, I imagine because of the power and speed tools, but there is enough swing and miss to legiteamitely be concerned of him just being a 4th OF. Rich Wilson seems to like Souza better and other rankings I've seen are mixed without the large disparity between the two.

Also, what players have made large gains since the last ranking?

As always thanks and you really do fabulous work.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T Firefly View Post
                          Rhd,

What are the thoughts on Michael Taylor? You have him ranked high, I imagine because of the power and speed tools, but there is enough swing and miss to legiteamitely be concerned of him just being a 4th OF. Rich Wilson seems to like Souza better and other rankings I've seen are mixed without the large disparity between the two.

Also, what players have made large gains since the last ranking?

As always thanks and you really do fabulous work.
                          Thanx for the response and the props, Rufus.

I'm betting that Taylor becomes a starter at some point, while I'm dont see a clear path to regular time for Souza in the near future. Harper and Werth arent going anywhere and Span will be in his last year. Actually, they have an option on Span, but I assume they'll use it. Taylor probably could use some more time at AAA anyway. So, I see Taylor taking over in center by Apr 2016 at the latest. Yes, a lot of swing and miss but scouts are high on him and he's proved himself in the high minors so I'm betting he can be a successful MLBer. Also, Taylor probably will get more SBs in MLB than Souza.

Here are some that have moved up a lot:

- Moncada (#149 to #17) (wow!)
                          - Appel (#92 to #57) (strong AFL showing and favorable recent scouting rpts)
                          - Olivera (#148 to #62) (Badler likes him better than Tomas)
                          - Judge (#102 to #78)
                          - Wall (#113 to #85)
                          - Quinn (#117 to #91)
                          - Harrison (#119 to #92)
                          - Adames (#135 to #93)
                          - Kaneko (#150 to #110) (I think he's coming in 2016 and he's better than Maeda)

I plan to post a new list soon, maybe as early as next week, but more probably at the end of the month.

Comment

Wow is right. Is that a record?

Your list is one of my favorite Christmas presents.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                              Wow is right. Is that a record?

Your list is one of my favorite Christmas presents.

J
                              Well, there have been some players that have gone from not on the list at all to around that high, so probably not a record. BTW, Kiley McDaniel at FanGraphs says Moncada would likely be in his top 5 overall. So, evidently I'm being too conservative!

Thanx for the kind words, J. Now, I guess I should post the new list before Xmas.

Comment

No hurry. The week after is slow.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                                X