Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kershaw...MVP....end of story

Anyone disagree?

There isn't any other NL player who stands out.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

It's gotta be him, but you can make strong cases for Stanton, McCutchen or Posey.

Comment

If the Pirates could pull off winning the division in the final days it could swing some votes for McCutchen.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        If the Pirates could pull off winning the division in the final days it could swing some votes for McCutchen.
        As great as Cutch is, Harrison was just as key to the Pirates season as was Cutch..maybe even Martin.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          As great as Cutch is, Harrison was just as key to the Pirates season as was Cutch..maybe even Martin.
          True, even McCutchen says that Harrison was more valuable. Harrison will definitely cost McCutchen some votes from the writers.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm someone who thinks that pitchers should probably not be the MVP, but Kershaw deserves it if anyone does. If I had a vote, I'd vote for Stanton, then Posey, then Kershaw, then McCutchen.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
              I'm someone who thinks that pitchers should probably not be the MVP,
              I'm in this group but I would have voted for Verlander a couple of years ago and would vote Kershaw this year. Great year and no hitter that is having that outstanding kind of year to out vote Kershaw.

Comment

I generally eschew voting pitchers as MVP but Kershaw is an exception.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Yeah, I too favor hitters for MVP, but as El D said, Kershaw is having an historic year. Even with the time he missed early, he is the MVP. Had Stanton not gotten hit in the face, and had finished strong, he'd be the MVP. But in the absence of a clear cut hitter, it should go to the all time great pitching season.

Comment

David Ortiz doesn't think Kershaw (or any pitcher) should win the MVP, but Ortiz is an idiot.

No offense, Clayton Kershaw and Pedro Martinez, but David Ortiz is not a believer in your MVP credentials — present, past and future.“I don’t care, it can be Pedro Martinez, my br…
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                      David Ortiz doesn't think Kershaw (or any pitcher) should win the MVP, but Ortiz is an idiot.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/r...cy_young_award
                      So by his own thought process on the matter a DH should never win the MVP because "They never dived for a ball" all season.

The argument that the MVP should be for players who play EVERY GAME, how about the games when said player goes 0-5? That's not helping the team win.

Comment

So by his own thought process on the matter a DH should never win the MVP because "They never dived for a ball" all season.
                        That's the best part about his statement, that he's a DH. I bet Kershaw has way more putouts than Ortiz this season. He's just a clueless man who has a microphone shoved in his face all the time and is more than happy to spew crap.

The argument that the MVP should be for players who play EVERY GAME, how about the games when said player goes 0-5? That's not helping the team win.
                        Another heard scratcher. He says hitters need to be at the top of their game every game. Going 0-5 is hardly at the top of their game. I would say that this is actually more important for a pitcher to be at the top of their game since they only pitch every 5 days. Hitters can go on a three game 0-fer slump and it's ok. If a pitcher does that? It's a much bigger issue.

I do think that a pitcher winning the MVP should be due to an exceptionally great season and possibly one where there is no hitter that stands out.

I've never had a problem with Ortiz, he seems like a likable fun guy but sometimes he just says the dumbest things.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          I do not think there is a legitimate, well thought out argument in favor of precluding pitchers from MVP discussions. I'm pretty surprised that some otherwise intelligent posters here favor that flawed thought process.
                          For me, it's not about playing every day. I simply like the symmetry of a Best Pitcher Award and Best Hitter Award and they just happen to be called "Cy Young" and "MVP". In my perfect world, there would be THREE major awards: The Cy Young for best pitcher, The Mickey Mantle (or some other name) for best hitter and the MVP for most valuable player, hitter or pitcher. A player cannot win two in one season, and MVP is the more prestigious. So, in a year like this, perhaps Cueto would win the Cy Young, but Kershaw would be the MVP. Stanton would likely be the Mickey Mantle winner. That's the way I see it.

Truth is, I could certainly see Kershaw win the MVP and I would not be surprised or disappointed one bit.

Comment

I do not think there is a legitimate, well thought out argument in favor of precluding pitchers from MVP discussions. I'm pretty surprised that some otherwise intelligent posters here favor that flawed thought process.

They don't pitch every day? Yeah, but on the days they do pitch they face so many batters that all this essentially equals out. A batter gets 4-5 ABs per game. A pitcher faces, on average (for all pitchers, not just elite ones) 26+ batters per game. In the NL, pitchers also bat, adding to their importance.

The whole "I won't vote for a pitcher as MVP" is antiquated and silly and does not consider the overall impact players have, imho.

An argument in favor of considering pitchers as MVP candidates, because, you know, pitchers are MVP's, too.

Edit: I, too, used to think that MVPs shouldn't go to pitchers. It was the data-based arguments that swayed me. They are extremely compelling, imo.
                            This dawned on my the other day. If you stretch that out over 25 games (a conservative number of starts) you are looking at 650 batters faced. That's the equivalent of a hitters full season. You could be looking at something closer to 1,000 at bats for an elite pitcher who pitches a full season (33 starts and 30 at bats per game). So that should more than make up for only pitching once every 5 days.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Yeah, that's legitimate. Pitchers already have "their" award.
                              I think that's what most of us are basing the 'hitters-first' argument on.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                              X