Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to handle "that guy" who enters the auction with a ton of units?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to handle "that guy" who enters the auction with a ton of units?

We've got the usual mix of freeze lists entering tomorrow's auction, with close to half the teams being about "half done" already in terms of players owned and units remaining. Some of those freeze numbers for a 23-man, 260-unit auction include 11 for 136, 10 for 135, 11 for 132, 11 for 141....

I only kept 5 for 94 (see below).

Anyway, there's an owner who kept only five players for 36 units - and 3 of those are RPs (Kimbrel 5, Adams 2, Clippard 5). He has no SPs and just SCastro 5 and CYoung 19 on offense. This is also "that guy" who always tends to have the most money left for most of the auction. If he freezes 100 units, then he's patient until he's got the money lead back.

This guy has come in as high as 2nd twice and is smart, but I feel as if it really complicates things for me. You can't sit back and wait for someone, because he's always got enough money to take away the object of your desire.

I've taken to just grabbing almost anyone within reason who is around my price target, because otherwise I picture myself near the end game bidding into the 20s against this guy for Derek Lowe or Aaron Harang because there's nothing else to bid on, lol.

I'm sure glad my main keeps are SPs - this guy has 224 units to play with, and only two of the top 10 SPs are available - Lincecum and CLee.

What would you do to handle rivals like this? Nominate a closer in the 1st round because he already filled 3 RP slots? Sure, other people have money, but he has almost 100 more units to play with than half the competition.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Value is value. He has to obtain a team with all that money. Sure he can outbid you for any player, but not every player. Make him pay your price +1 for every player you want. If he does, go to the next one.

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 04-02-2011, 03:52 PM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Patience is a virtue in a situation like that. Our NL only drafted today ($280 cap with a max 16 keepers from 25 man roster). 2 guys had in excess of $210 to spend. I was fortunate that i had my hitting pretty well set and had my sights set on pitching. They bought early and soon got down to the pack.

Comment

You either toss your targets out early and overpay a little or you gamble andtry to hold out longer than him. I would gowith option one.

Good luck JJ
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Be sure you know your inflation.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Does he use his money to price enforce? If he doesn't, you might want to get players he is not bidding on. Or, if he uses his money to price enforce, stick him with someone early, just to let him know there is a risk to price enforcing. I wouldn't worry about your nomination strategy, you are only one of 10 to 13 at the table, plus closers tend to get nominated early, at least the secure ones.

Comment

Postscript: "This guy" wound up spending more wildly than ever before, and handed over his "chip lead" quickly - not a bad idea given the prices. He wound up with 10 units left for 8 players, which he hated. He'll be back to normal next year.

I wound up being the price enforcer. With rampant inflation, I was willing to go to the maximum bearable bid dozens of times, and every single time someone went over it, which helped me later.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                Postscript: "This guy" wound up spending more wildly than ever before, and handed over his "chip lead" quickly - not a bad idea given the prices. He wound up with 10 units left for 8 players, which he hated. He'll be back to normal next year.

I wound up being the price enforcer. With rampant inflation, I was willing to go to the maximum bearable bid dozens of times, and every single time someone went over it, which helped me later.
                So you are saying that you are pretty much the cause of the inflation?

Comment

Lets leave politics out of it.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                  X