Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffey jr. almost not to be...

Depression hits any one, any where.

Depression is still so misunderstood by so many..It's arguably the worst illness there is.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      Depression is still so misunderstood by so many..It's arguably the worst illness there is.
      Great story to spread awareness of what I agree is a misunderstood illness that deserves more attention. I get your sentiment here, but I am uncomfortable with making this an illness competition for last place. Personally, I'd rather be depressed to the point of suicide than have to deal with some of the other illnesses I've seen the effects of. In fact, depression is often linked to the pain and suffering of other illnesses. I've known people who very much wanted to die to stop the pain--physical, emotional, financial--but hold on for their families.

Edit: But I will add that I really hope no one comes in here with the "poor rich superstar" slant. That would show a clear lack of understanding of depression. This is a good story to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        Great story to spread awareness of what I agree is a misunderstood illness that deserves more attention. I get your sentiment here, but I am uncomfortable with making this an illness competition for last place. Personally, I'd rather be depressed to the point of suicide than have to deal with some of the other illnesses I've seen the effects of. In fact, depression is often linked to the pain and suffering of other illnesses. I've known people who very much wanted to die to stop the pain--physical, emotional, financial--but hold on for their families.

Edit: But I will add that I really hope no one comes in here with the "poor rich superstar" slant. That would show a clear lack of understanding of depression. This is a good story to share.
        Physical pain or mental pain to the point of suicide..i'll take neither Alex !!
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          Physical pain or mental pain to the point of suicide..i'll take neither Alex !!
          Changing subjects, watching Jeopardy is like watching sports to me in that both embody the heights of human excellence. In both cases, I marvel at how much the divide between what is possible for humans mentally and physically and what is typical is increasing. The elite among us are as mentally and physically gifted as ever--more so, even--but the average person is falling farther and farther from the pinnacle. Makes me want to go to the gym or read more, but then I remember tv is bright and pleasingly numbing.

Comment

Working...
          X