Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fantasy Baseball Ethics: Your thoughts on this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like a non-issue. Every owner has the same opportunity. I scoured my FA list for guys I could pick up as keepers. Choo 27 is out there but the price is too high.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

we just had an owner in 10th place grab 3 players off waivers (you can only do that 6 times all year, but he had moves left).
      he took Grichuk, Souza for 10-S2 apiece, and Latos at 22-S1 (out for season, so contending owner cut him).
      he doesn't expect to keep any of them, but he figures for $6, he's got some longshots to add to the mix. good for him, I say.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
        I don't see any problem with it, and I'm still unclear why other owners aren't doing the same thing if it's allowed.
        +1. If any of those guys are better keepers than the guys on my team then I should be picking them up.

Maybe your league doesn't have a DL or a deep bench? Is he stacking his out of contention team with hurt guys and putting them in his active line-up at the end of the year? That's a bit more cheesy, but it's an issue with your league rules, not his ethics.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Not unethical. They do similar things in real baseball, like claiming someone on waivers to block another team from getting him. My thinking on this type of thing is that if enough members consider something objectionable, change the rules so people cant do it anymore. But dont punish someone for doing something that the current rules allow.

Comment

you can never have too many potential keepers
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Rusney Castillo is the perfect example in my AL Only keeper league. He was picked up for $12, which ticks me off. If only I hadn't blown $$$ earlier in the year on players like Stephen Drew. All teams had spent almost all of their money. But typically if I have enough FAAB $$$ left over, I would ALWAYS make sure that someone like Castillo wasn't picked up at a price he could be kept for the following year. I don't see why that is unethical. It's a game. If I can make a move to prevent the opponent from beating me, that's what you do.

Comment

If Garrett Richards was available and not picked up by a bottom feeding team, they deserve to be mocked.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  If Garrett Richards was available and not picked up by a bottom feeding team, they deserve to be mocked.
                  I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                    agreed with the rest - this seems a perfectly viable method to me. now, if like in pogues' league, there were some shenanigans about salaries next year, then there might be reason for alarm. but this all seems pretty straightforward strategy to me.
                    I just proposed a rules change to close up the silliness a bit. Owners have dropped players, only to bid on them and win them 2 days later with their FAAB at a new, lower salary. Ryan Zimmerman's salary went from $38 to $22 for the same owner because of that move.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                      I just proposed a rules change to close up the silliness a bit. Owners have dropped players, only to bid on them and win them 2 days later with their FAAB at a new, lower salary. Ryan Zimmerman's salary went from $38 to $22 for the same owner because of that move.
                      Yes, our rule is that salaries can never decrease, and increase to FAAB bid if it is higher.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        Yes, our rule is that salaries can never decrease, and increase to FAAB bid if it is higher.
                        yep - that's what our rule is too.
                        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                        X