Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake Marisnick is struggling since he joined the Astros

According to Rotoword:

Advice: Marisnick put the Astros on the board with his fourth-inning RBI single, but it was all his club would muster on the offensive side. The 23-year-old has plenty of potential, but he has struggled since joining the Astros, hitting just .266/.300/.324 in 152 plate appearances. (Rotoworld.com)

He's 23! How is this struggling? I think he's looking pretty damn ok.

His last 6 games:

Sep 19 ^Cle L, 2-1 2 4 0 0 1 1 1.100
    Sep 18 ^Cle L, 2-0 0 3 0 0 0 0 .000
    Sep 16 ^Cle W, 3-1 1 3 0 0 0 1 .667
    Sep 14 ^@LAA W, 6-1 3 4 0 0 1 1 1.550
    Sep 14 ^@LAA L, 5-2 1 3 0 0 0 0 .667
    Sep 13 @LAA L, 11-3 2 4 0 0 1 1 1.000

Not too shabby.

What's the chances this guy is at the begining of a nice career?

Considering what he did with Florida, I don't know how they can call this "struggling."

Comment

Is this a slow start to a fine career or is this... Jeremy Hermida?

For now, I'd bet on the former. He has a firm enough pedigree and has shown enough in the majors to keep hope alive. I wouldn't go all-in, but if you can get/keep him for a reasonable price, he may impress.

Comment

I've never believed in JM. I don't see him as anything more than a replacement level OFer who may keep a starting job for a few years, because he is solid across the board. But as soon as he gets pricey, or some young future star comes along, I think he gets pushed aside. That sort of player is still worth something in only leagues, but he ain't worth much in my 16 team mixed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
          Is this a slow start to a fine career or is this... Jeremy Hermida?

For now, I'd bet on the former. He has a firm enough pedigree and has shown enough in the majors to keep hope alive. I wouldn't go all-in, but if you can get/keep him for a reasonable price, he may impress.
          He has a very different profile than Jeremy Hermida. Marisnick is speed and defense. But maybe that's not what you meant.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            He has a very different profile than Jeremy Hermida. Marisnick is speed and defense. But maybe that's not what you meant.
            Nah, I was just thinking of disappointing Florida OFers. I think it was Hermida that ruined all minor leaguers for me.

Comment

Nah, I was just thinking of disappointing Florida OFers. I think it was Hermida that ruined all minor leaguers for me.
              I traded Verlander and Lester for Hermida, so yeah, he burnt me pretty badly too. That was one time TINSTAAPP wasn't the philosophy to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I traded Verlander and Lester for Hermida, so yeah, he burnt me pretty badly too. That was one time TINSTAAPP wasn't the philosophy to follow.
                Yup. However, I just got to the point where I devalue pitchers and minor leaguers so much more than most of the people I play with. Strange thing is, though, I spend about 95% of my research prep-time on pitchers (especially bullpen arms) and minor leaguers.

Comment

Yup. However, I just got to the point where I devalue pitchers and minor leaguers so much more than most of the people I play with. Strange thing is, though, I spend about 95% of my research prep-time on pitchers (especially bullpen arms) and minor leaguers.
                  Well, that is the key isn't it? If you are going to devalue them, and I think rightly so both because of fail rate and because of the depth, you have to look closely and deeply to find the hidden gems. That strategy has worked well for me as well. Or it used to when we could draft non-professionals. now that we are restricting that, I have to change my strategy a bit in terms of my value for minor leaguers. Because they continue to be the best currency for dump trades late in the season.

At least I can still try to land high upside arms like Kluber (my $5 MVP this season as I am riding him and fellow CLE $5 player Michael Brantley to a title).

Comment

He put a nice swing on one tonight, hit it over the train tracks in Minute Maid Park.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      He put a nice swing on one tonight, hit it over the train tracks in Minute Maid Park.
                      And another.

Comment

Working...
                      X