• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trade advice

just got offered:

his Mike Trout, who is keepable for 3 years at $17

for

my Joc Pederson and Kris Bryant, both in my minors

minors players start with a salary of $4 for two years, then can be kept for up to 3 years after that.

thoughts?
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

jeeeez.

minors can be kept for three more years at what price?

edited to add: also how do your minor league keepers work? are you likely to be competitive next year? having two guys that you can keep as minor league keepers even if they start the season in the majors is a really good deal if you can get it.
    Last edited by mjl; 09-14-2014, 02:06 AM.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Get. Trout. Now.

I would have made that trade the second I received it.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Wow! Talk about a blockbuster.

I don't think it is the slam dunk that Brother Mith seems to think it is. Although I would probably do it.

The key for me would be what does your team look like? Is the addition of Trout enough to make you have a real solid shot at winning for the next two years? In our league rookies are free until we activate them or they lose rookie status. That means Pederson and Bryant would be free going into next year. So in actuality I would have both and $17 dollars to spend if I didn't make the trade. I think I can buy a pretty good player for $17. I think I am talking myself out of it.

Still it is Mike Trout for $17 and no guarantee that Bryant and Pederson pan out. I do think they will, but how fast? You would think there would be some learning curve. Can Bryant be as good or almost as good as Trout? That is asking a lot but I think yes.

This is a fun one to contemplate. My history tells me I probably make the trade. Trout is cheap. Even if you actually don't win the trade, you got Mike Trout as the consolation prize and that is not a bad thing.

I really don't think you can go wrong no matter what you decide.

Comment

Like Gregg said, this decision boils down to the rest of your roster. If Trout gives you a top-3 keeper list going into next year, you gotta pull the trigger. If not, then it's close enough that I'd probably pass. Who are your other keepers and league details?
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Of course it depends on his roster, league size, draft budget, etc..but i see way too many owners passing on a SURE thing to take potential. Win now baby!

Even if the rest of your roster blows, i still take Trout. It's nice to have the big name prospects, but not at the expense of the best fantasy player who will probably get better.

Looking into the crystal ball, which would you prefer in 2016-2017 for the same amount of money: Trout and two other players or Pederson, Bryant and one other player. I take the Trout side 8 days a week.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I have to agree with Mith here. And this from a Bryant owner who has as much faith in him as just about any prospect I have ever owned. Gotta go with the sure thing. Of course, I thought the same thing a few years ago and traded Trout as a prospect for 1.5 years of a cheap Agone. Oops.

Comment

yeah - all pretty much what was going through my head.

league is mixed AL/NL, pretty deep (12 GMs, 17 teams), offensive categories: OBA, XBA (XB/AB), SB-CS, R, RBI. keeper list is decent ($4 harper in option year, $1 zunino, $14 murphy, $18 werth, $9 kazmir, $9 bailey, $1 mcgee, and some higher priced players that i'd have to choose from).

after having slept on it i'm still talking myself into both positions (taking it or not).
                "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Trout is already an MVP-calibre player. Bryant and Pederson will likely need a year or three before they are performing at an elite level. They may not play all year in the majors next year. Do it and don't look back.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                  Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                  Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I could easily see Pederson struggling his first year or two. He just doesnt make enough contact and wont hit HR's in the majors like he did in the PCL.

I luv prospects but I might lean to the Trout side.
                    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

been thinking about it all day, and just keep waffling back and forth. leaning toward taking it right now. bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and all...

Comment

I'm taking Trout in this deal. What are prospects for but a means to the championship. This trade would seem like the best means to a championship for you soon.
                        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

i took it. just couldn't pass up trout.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                            Can't say I blame you. Congrats and enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                              especially at that price...good call imo

Comment

Working...
                              X