Stolen bases..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen bases..

Jose Altuve had 46 stolen bases on August 10th. He has exactly 1 since then while still hitting over .330 for that time frame.

Alcides Escobar had 22 steals before the All Star Game and only 2 since then. And his OBP is pretty much the same as it was at the break.

Why do players stop running? Especially when they have been very successful. Tired?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Guesses...
    Nursing/hiding an injury?

Random statistical variation (17 days for Altuve of 1 vs. roughly 130 days for Altuve of 46 seems statistically significant, but maybe not if you consider how many are more consistent?

It is hot in August...is there seasonality to SB?

Comment

Altuve is especially confusing. He ran wild for a short span, then pretty much quit running. And he was very successful to boot. So why stop??
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        Altuve is especially confusing. He ran wild for a short span, then pretty much quit running. And he was very successful to boot. So why stop??
        Why risk injury if your team is out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Why risk injury if your team is out of it?
          Maybe... But weren't the Astros out of it in June? So why run at all after that?

And if the team is out of it, so what if he gets injured? He'll be back for 2015.

And if a team is still in the playoff hunt then why should their players steal bases and risk injury? Why steal at all if you are worried about injury?

Comment

Maybe... But weren't the Astros out of it in June? So why run at all after that?

And if the team is out of it, so what if he gets injured? He'll be back for 2015.

And if a team is still in the playoff hunt then why should their players steal bases and risk injury? Why steal at all if you are worried about injury?
            Because with few games left it is imperative that the teams in the hunt get every win they can.Adrenaline runs high. Not so much the teams that are out of it.

Maybe to those that are out of it they get more run down mentally and physically and just start to mail it in? No adrenaline to help motivate?

Comment

Jose Altuve had 46 stolen bases on August 10th. He has exactly 1 since then while still hitting over .330 for that time frame.

Alcides Escobar had 22 steals before the All Star Game and only 2 since then. And his OBP is pretty much the same as it was at the break.

Why do players stop running? Especially when they have been very successful. Tired?
              Altuve steals two and Escobar steals one tonight....

Comment

Altuve steals two and Escobar steals one tonight....
                Reverse jink!

Comment

Steals are somewhat of a mental game. It seems that when a guy gets caught once or twice he starts questioning his ability to read pitchers and might be a bit more conservative.

Comment

Don't know if it's still true, but Escobar used to really tire at the end of the year in his Milwaukee days.

Altuve got dinged so I suspect that's what slowed him for a while
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I try to pick up SBs early and trade them before August...it always seemed to me that guys ran early and often and unless they wanted to hit a benchmark number (ie, 40, 50 SBs) they didn't run as much the last third of the season. Saves are just the opposite.
                      I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                      You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                      "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                      It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Working...
                      X