Seager/Wacha for Hamels/Carpenter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seager/Wacha for Hamels/Carpenter

Which side would you rather have? All players have 2 more years left on their contract after this year:

Kyle Seager ($8) and Michael Wacha ($12)

or

Hamels ($11) and Matt Carpenter ($23)

Does the Wacha injury scare anyone or does his potential value outweigh that? Is it worthwhile to make a trade if you're out of it for this year and instead hold on to your assets until the offseason?

Assuming a standard league where Carpenter's ridiculous OBP doesn't matter as much, I prefer the Seager/Wacha side. Wacha's injury is obviously a bit scary but indications are that he will make it back this year (though I have no idea what a stress reaction is).

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
      Assuming a standard league where Carpenter's ridiculous OBP doesn't matter as much, I prefer the Seager/Wacha side. Wacha's injury is obviously a bit scary but indications are that he will make it back this year (though I have no idea what a stress reaction is).
      We do have OPS but that still probably favors Seager with a higher Slugging percentage than Carpenter

Comment

I take the Hamels/ Carp side. More reliability.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Seager > Carpenter
          Wacha > Hamels

Comment

wacha isn't better than hamels.
            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Hamels is a better pitcher but the Phillies kept him when they could have traded him for something useful, and if he's on the Phillies next year too his wins are going to be down again.

Carpenter is OK but he really only helps you in runs and AVG and his average isn't that much higher than Seager's.

I'd take the Seager side.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Wacha's career numbers in the majors:
                ERA 2.787
                WHiP 1.1097
                SO/9 8.6
                Age 23

Sure that's a small sample size but I'll take his youth, ballpark, and wins (as the Cards are going to be a much better team than the Phils over the next two years) over Hamels.

Comment

with a shoulder injury risk. hamels numbers *this year*: ERA 2.37; WHIP 1.11; K/9 9.0 in 144 innings. career (9 years) his ERA is a point higher but the other numbers are about the same. and he's 30 - it's not like he's some ancient creaky old guy. so, i dispute your assertion that wacha > hamels.
                  "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Yeah, I'd take Hamels and his longer track record over Wacha. But I do like Seager at that price over Carp. Close call overall imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      Yeah, I'd take Hamels and his longer track record over Wacha. But I do like Seager at that price over Carp. Close call overall imo.
                      yep - agreed.

Comment

Working...
                      X