Who's the 2014 NL Cy Young Winner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the 2014 NL Cy Young Winner?

With 7 weeks left, there are some clear front runners. Who's your choice?
    Clayton Kershaw (14-2, 1.78 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, 163 Ks)
    0%
    Johnny Cueto (14-6, 2.05, 0.91, 181 Ks)
    0%
    Adam Wainwright (14-6, 2.28, 1.02, 134 Ks)
    0%
    Other
    0%

The poll is expired.

Gotta be Kershaw if he stays healthy the rest of the way. It pains me to say that...I traded him for Hosmer and Gallardo when Kershaw got hurt overseas to start the years. I have conditioned myself to be so afraid of pitcher injuries that it really burnt me this time.

Comment

Kershaw will win again. It is less clear if he should.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

There was an article in the WSJ where they said Kershaw is the heavy favorite at 2:7 odds and actually the heavy favorite for MVP at 4:7 odds as well.

Cueto and Wainwright have been excellent all year as well but between the no-hitter, the scoreless streak, and the current winning streak, Kershaw's got too much juice.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
          There was an article in the WSJ where they said Kershaw is the heavy favorite at 2:7 odds and actually the heavy favorite for MVP at 4:7 odds as well.

Cueto and Wainwright have been excellent all year as well but between the no-hitter, the scoreless streak, and the current winning streak, Kershaw's got too much juice.
          I agree, Kershaw the overwhelming favorite, dude is unreal. And while there aren't that many NL MVP-worthy candidates, I'd go with Gomez. On pace for 24 HRs, 34 SBs, 101 Runs, 81 RBIs, .289/.352/.490. McCutchen was the clear front-runner until he got hurt but Gomez isn't that far behind him in production.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I'm curious why anyone would pick Cueto, because as good as he's been, Kershaw is better in almost every category: lower ERA & whip, and just as many wins and only 18 fewer Ks in 6 fewer GS. Kershaw even tops Cueto in CGs 6-5. Cueto's obviously been fantastic, but I just don't see the argument for him over Kershaw.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Well, everyone thinks Gomez is a dick so that won't help his case

Cueto pitches in a tougher park so maybe the ERA+ has them a little closer together.

Comment

I like Tanner Roark to get down ballot consideration. Doesn't get any love, but he has put up stats in the same basic zip code as some of these big boys.

148 IP
                2.86 ERA
                1.09 WHIP
                11 W
                112 Ks

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                  Well, Gomez is a dick so that won't help his case
                  Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    I'm curious why anyone would pick Cueto, because as good as he's been, Kershaw is better in almost every category: lower ERA & whip, and just as many wins and only 18 fewer Ks in 6 fewer GS. Kershaw even tops Cueto in CGs 6-5. Cueto's obviously been fantastic, but I just don't see the argument for him over Kershaw.
                    just to be contrarian . realistically unless something changes, kershaw should get it, but cueto has been pretty remarkable, for a worse team...
                    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                      just to be contrarian . realistically unless something changes, kershaw should get it, but cueto has been pretty remarkable, for a worse team...
                      And in a worse park. But still, Kershaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        And in a worse park. But still, Kershaw.
                        ....and over more innings. Kershaw will win, but Cueto deserves consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          ....and over more innings. Kershaw will win, but Cueto deserves consideration.
                          He certainly deserves consideration, I just don't see how anyone could actually vote him ahead of Kershaw. It's the same in the AL...Sale & Kluber have been awesome, but there is no doubt that Felix is the best.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

the difference in park effects between the home parks of Kershaw and Cueto is pretty dramatic....
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                            X