David Ortiz and the Sunday Night Bat Flip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Ortiz and the Sunday Night Bat Flip

Ah, Big Papi celebrates a home run last night against Tampa Bay with a lovely bat flip.

For those who haven't seen it (why are you on this site?)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JO0kj1yuCFM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyway, I haven't felt the need to comment...until I read this:

"I never saw Hank Aaron flip his bat," said Chris Archer today in an interview. Archer gave up the home run last night to Ortiz.

Well no shit Mr. Archer. Hank Aaron played his last game October 3, 1976. You were born September 26, 1988. I can't figure out how you never saw Aaron flip a bat...hell you never saw Aaron play. Jason Giambi is the oldest player in the majors right now, and he was born January 8, 1971. If he saw Aaron play a game, I bet he has no memory of it. He might, but not likely.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Yeah, I'm really tired of these "unwritten rules of baseball". If you don't want to see a bat flip, don't give up a homer...if you do, tip your cap and get him later.

I loved what the Angels did last week when Rodney did the shooting arrow thing after getting out of the 8th. They tied the game up and both Trout and Pujols ddi the arrow from the quiver right back at Rodney...he handled it well.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I liked what the Angels did and what Archer said as well

Papi has a(nother) baby every time a pitch hits the inside of the plate, then acts outraged when opponents don't enjoy the 45-second Papi informercial. then complains that pitchers are too sensiive, lol.

and Rodney had that coming to him as well
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
        Ah, Big Papi celebrates a home run last night against Tampa Bay with a lovely bat flip.

For those who haven't seen it (why are you on this site?)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JO0kj1yuCFM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyway, I haven't felt the need to comment...until I read this:

"I never saw Hank Aaron flip his bat," said Chris Archer today in an interview. Archer gave up the home run last night to Ortiz.

Well no shit Mr. Archer. Hank Aaron played his last game October 3, 1976. You were born September 26, 1988. I can't figure out how you never saw Aaron flip a bat...hell you never saw Aaron play. Jason Giambi is the oldest player in the majors right now, and he was born January 8, 1971. If he saw Aaron play a game, I bet he has no memory of it. He might, but not likely.

While he never saw Hank Aaron play (live), perhaps he saw film of some or even many of his home runs? Either way, my point is that the comment wasn't as ludicrous sounding as you made it out to be by taking it literally.

Comment

I did see Hank Aaron play but did not see him flip his bat, fwiw
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Ortiz's antics ring hollow when his teammate got pissed at Matt Joyce last year because he got pissed at Joyce who got mad for hitting a long foul ball.

Comment

MLB network showed a video of Archer glaring and kissing his bicep striking out Nava last year (second half of video)......he can't say anything.....
              Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

There's no right or wrong answer here, but I like the antics. This is entertainment. I don't like the NFL taking away touchdown dances and what-not, and I think it sounds whiney when a pitcher doesn't like a batter watching his home run or doing a bat flip or whatever.

Likewise, when the shoe is on the other foot, your job is to take it like a man, like Rodney did. He shot the arrow after finishing out the 8th, then the Angels tied it up and shot pretend arrows back at him, and he laughed it off. All part of the game. I think it's hilarious and makes for great TV.

Comment

I like the antics, but you can't act like little bitches when a team reciprocates

Comment

i have to say i don't like the antics. it makes for great entertainment, but not great sport (IMHO). it's classic poor sportsmanship to gloat, which is essentially what this is.

i know it's the way all nearly all sports have gone. that doesn't mean i have to like it.
                    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

and, "hey you kids, get off of my lawn!"
                      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                      X