No announcement yet.

Big SP Trade - Am I giving up too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big SP Trade - Am I giving up too much?

Working on a blockbuster SP trade and wanted to get the 'pens opinion.

I get:
    King Felix - $28 - can be kept for 1 more year
    Mat Latos - $15 - can be kept for 1 more year
    David Robertson - $9 - can be kept for 2 more years
    Jose Quintana - non-keeper

I give:
    Scherzer - non keeper
    Hamels - $12 - can be kept for 2 more years
    Matt Harvey - $8 - can be kept for 2 more years
    Greg Holland - $5 - can be kept for 1 more year

I've dangled Scherzer to other teams but the best other offer is Scherzer for Wacha ($12/2 more years). I'm out of contention this year so really Scherzer is just a throw in to try and get King Felix (and Quintana is a fungible piece).

The way I look at it Robertson/Holland are even (Robertson costs more but I get an extra year out of him - stats are pretty identical this year). So it really boils down to Felix/Latos for Hamels/Harvey. I'm going for it next year (of course) so I'm not too worried about losing the extra year of keepers. In my mind, if Harvey stays healthy next year, he's a steal and that's a lot to give up. But he's going to be a major question mark. Getting someone like Felix (in a shallow 10 team league) would be great and I have other SP keepers (Iwakuma - $10/2 years, Shields - $15/2 years, Cashner - $8/2 years, Yordano Ventura - $3/3 years, Bunddy, $1/2 years).

Thoughts?

Seems fair. It sucks giving up Harvey, but one would have to expect 2015 to be a recovery year for him. I like the deal for you.

Comment

I don't like this deal for you. If you are building for next year, I don't like the tactic of trading great keepers. I think the guys you are giving are close to as good as those you are getting at those prices and years, so to me you are just giving Scherzer away imo. I think you may be selling Hamels short because of his win total. And Harvey should be fully ready to go next year. There is just no way I'd do this deal, but maybe I can't get my head around a league this size. I'm sure folks give a ton for small upgrades all the time in 10 teamers, because replacement level is so much higher.

Still, the move I'd make is to trade Scherzer straight up for the cheapest, best player I can. Wacha, if he wasn't hurt, would be a good option. But surely you can find a healthy young player someone would give for Scherzer. Or, do you have minor leagues in your league? If so, you could land a top 10 prospect for Scherzer?

Or if you must have Felix, I'd rather give Scherzer and Hamels for just him. I prefer Holland to Robertson, and Harvey to Latos at those prices, and if he is going for it, I imagine he'd be happy to leave those players out, as Harvey does nothing for him right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I don't like this deal for you. If you are building for next year, I don't like the tactic of trading great keepers. I think the guys you are giving are close to as good as those you are getting at those prices and years, so to me you are just giving Scherzer away imo. I think you may be selling Hamels short because of his win total. And Harvey should be fully ready to go next year. There is just no way I'd do this deal, but maybe I can't get my head around a league this size. I'm sure folks give a ton for small upgrades all the time in 10 teamers, because replacement level is so much higher.

Still, the move I'd make is to trade Scherzer straight up for the cheapest, best player I can. Wacha, if he wasn't hurt, would be a good option. But surely you can find a healthy young player someone would give for Scherzer. Or, do you have minor leagues in your league? If so, you could land a top 10 prospect for Scherzer?

Or if you must have Felix, I'd rather give Scherzer and Hamels for just him. I prefer Holland to Robertson, and Harvey to Latos at those prices, and if he is going for it, I imagine he'd be happy to leave those players out, as Harvey does nothing for him right now.
        That's the biggest challenge though - I don't really need an additional keeper that Scherzer could net me. I've got a quality 15-18 potential keepers and we can only keep 10 so I'm trying to upgrade some of the positions and solidify those 10 keepers.

As of right now, this owner actually really wants Holland out of all the guys I'm proposing so maybe I can swap out Hamels/Harvey for a different SP.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          That's the biggest challenge though - I don't really need an additional keeper that Scherzer could net me. I've got a quality 15-18 potential keepers and we can only keep 10 so I'm trying to upgrade some of the positions and solidify those 10 keepers.
          It seems unlikely that you couldn't get a keeper better than at least one of the 15-18 guys you're projecting to keep in exchange for Scherzer.

Also, with 2 years left on his contract even with 2015 being somewhat of a rebound hear for Harvey, he's likely a very attractive chip for a rebuilding team at the deadline NEXT year. That could be good for you too.

Comment

If Scherzer wasn't involved and I held him off for a later trade - would it make this trade better?

Comment

If Scherzer wasn't involved and I held him off for a later trade - would it make this trade better?
              Wait, if you were just keeping Scherzer and not getting less? Sure, that changes the deal dramatically. You can then flip Scherzer and other pieces elsewhere for more value.

Comment

As of right now, this owner actually really wants Holland out of all the guys I'm proposing so maybe I can swap out Hamels/Harvey for a different SP.
                How can you have 15-18 potential quality keepers and be out of it this year? That's almost a full roster.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                  How can you have 15-18 potential quality keepers and be out of it this year? That's almost a full roster.
                  You're telling me... Mostly injuries (Yadier, B. Belt, Cashner, Harvey, etc.), underperforming pitchers (James Shields, no wins Cole Hamels, all of my RP) and some of the keepers on my minor league roster so I can't play them this year (G. Springer, Y. Ventura, D. Bundy, etc.). I'm in 3rd place so I'm not "out of it" but I'm 25 points behind 2nd place and 30 points behind 1st so there's not much making up I could do.

Comment

Working...
                  X