Settle a bet, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settle a bet, please

Settle a bet for me, please. Which of these offenses would you rather have in a points league (we count walks, nothing for strikeouts, and SBs count but are not as valuable as in a 5x5)? Team 1 is listed first, Team 2 is listed second. The analysis does not take into account SPs or RPs, where I win..

C: Iannetta........McCann
    1B: Fielder.......Miggy Cabrera
    2B: Kelly Johnson.......Beckham
    3B: D Wright......Arod
    SS: Tulo.....S Drew
    Util: Youkilis........Morneau
    OFs: CarGo, BJ Upton, Lind....... J Upton, Stanton, V Wells

Overall, I'd prefer team 2, but a case could be made for each side.

I look at it like this:
    Ianetta <<< McCann
    Fielder < Cabrera
    Johnson = Beckham
    Wright = Arod (Wright is going first in a scratch draft, but I personally think ARod is poised for a very big year)
    Tulowitzki >>> Drew
    Youkilis > Morneau (injuries)
    CarGo, Upton, Lind =/< Upton, Stanton, Wells in a league that devalues SBs

It's not a clear cut victory for Team 2, but I'd be more comfortable going in with them.

Comment

C: Iannetta<<< McCann
      1B: Fielder< Miggy Cabrera
      2B: Kelly Johnson=Beckham
      3B: D Wright>Arod
      SS: Tulo>>>S Drew
      Util: Youkilis>Morneau
      OFs: CarGo, BJ Upton, Lind> J Upton, Stanton, V Wells

I would take team 1, with my >< thingys indicating the edges
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I'd take team 2. It's close, but I think Morneau and A-Rod are both trending upward and I really like Beckham. Drew's injury is a concern and makes it closer.

McCann >>>> Iannetta
        Miggy >> Prince
        Beckham ~ KJ
        ARod ~ Wright
        Drew <<<< Tulo
        Morneau < Youk
        Justin/Wells/Stanton ~ CarGo/BJ/Lind

Comment

Honestly, I'd say it's a coin flip. Gun to my head, I'd go with Team 1.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Based on 2010 stats, team 2 has a small, but clear edge. The downside is Morneau's injury history. The biggest problem with the above is underselling the difference in catchers. Ianetta returns almost nothing compared to Beckam and Stanton, who are least of T2. Tulo and Drew are not nearly as far apart as CI and BM.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I'm in a similar points league; I'd take Team 2, but I could understand why a risk adverse fellow would side with Team 1. There is more risk in Team 2, but if you believe that Morneau can be right for most of this year, and that Drew's injury isn't a lingering long term issue, and that Miggy won't end up in jail for vehicular manslaughter, than that is the better offense.

Comment

So are you getting the results you expected?

Comment

Very close. I like team one. I also disagree with those that say Beckham will be greater than Kelly Johnson. Maybe equal but not greater.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    So are you getting the results you expected?
                    Yes and no. I knew it was close, but I expected it to tip in favor of team 1 (me, obviously). It's three for team 1 and five for team 2 now.

I can understand the back and forth on all positions, but the crux to me is C (and that's where I'm havign the biggest argument with the other team). While I know that Iannetta is no sure thing, and not even close to one, I think with a full season of ABs that he could be okay. And in a points league, the fact that catchers don't accumulate as many ABs as other positions means, to me, that the difference between Iannetta and McCann is less than in other leagues. If I take C out of the pitcture, I think the rest of the positions are a toss up or close to a toss up, except for SS.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewski View Post
                      Yes and no. I knew it was close, but I expected it to tip in favor of team 1 (me, obviously). It's three for team 1 and five for team 2 now.

I can understand the back and forth on all positions, but the crux to me is C (and that's where I'm havign the biggest argument with the other team). While I know that Iannetta is no sure thing, and not even close to one, I think with a full season of ABs that he could be okay. And in a points league, the fact that catchers don't accumulate as many ABs as other positions means, to me, that the difference between Iannetta and McCann is less than in other leagues. If I take C out of the pitcture, I think the rest of the positions are a toss up or close to a toss up, except for SS.
                      McCann is a huge edge as he gets 500 PAs every yeAR> Youll be lucky if Ianetta gets 400. Besides that, youre banking on Ianetta's potential which he may or may note even have since he continually sucks.
                      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

How many teams? Iannetta could easily be below replacement level, but if you could get a Jaso or a Napoli there that's different than being stuck with George Kotteras if he doesn't work out.

Comment

12 teams, mixed. Jaso/Napoli are gone. Guys like Chris Snyder, Buck and Doumit are available.

And I agree I have high (and probably unreasonable) expectations for Iannetta. I've won the league 3 of the last 4 years by punting C so that's my M.O.

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          How many teams? Iannetta could easily be below replacement level, but if you could get a Jaso or a Napoli there that's different than being stuck with George Kotteras if he doesn't work out.

Comment

12 teams, mixed. Jaso/Napoli are gone. Guys like Chris Snyder, Buck and Doumit are available.

And I agree I have high (and probably unreasonable) expectations for Iannetta. I've won the league 3 of the last 4 years by punting C so that's my M.O.
                            If Buck is available, I'd get him. Folks are down on his power in SFL, but he can still smack close to 20 homers this year. He already hit one today.

Comment

Working...
                            X