NL-only trade Gomez/Fister for ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL-only trade Gomez/Fister for ....

I'm currently in first place in our local NL-only, 5x5, keeper league in what is basically a three-team race (3 points separates the three teams). Our trade deadline is the end of July.

I've been offered Carlos Gomez (B, $27) and Doug Fister (A, $20) for Oscar Taveras (A, $5), AJ Pollock (A, $13), and Brad Ziegler (A, $1) by a typically strong team that is in the process of rebuilding.

I'm second in all hitting categories except SB (middle of the pack); second in strikeouts and wins, middle of the pack in ERA and WHIP. I punted saves at the auction table.

Logic tells me to do this trade; emotion wants me to keep Taveras, but this is better than what he previously wanted (Polanco).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My current active roster:
    1B ALaRoche Was (1st 12)
    2B SGennett Mil (2ND 6)
    SS AAmarista SD (1st 10)
    3B PSandoval SF (2ND 25)
    OF AMcCutchen Pit (LY 20)
    OF JUpton Atl (1st 26)
    OF MHolliday StL (1st 29)
    OF OTaveras StL (1st 5)
    OF GPolanco Pit (1st 5)
    C MMontero Ari (1st 9)
    C CBethancourt Atl (1st 10)
    UT TLaStella Atl (1st 10)
    CI CAsche Phi (2ND 10)
    MI ARendon Was (2ND 5)

P LLynn StL (OY 1)
    P SMiller StL (2ND 5)
    P CHamels Phi (1st 19)
    P TClippard Was (2ND 1)
    P MCain SF (1st 20)
    P MGarza Mil (1st 14)
    P KLohse Mil (1st 9)
    P IKennedy SD (1st 2)
    P BZiegler Ari (1st 1)

Reserves...
    SS *ECabrera SD (OY 10)
    OF *MCuddyer Col (2ND 19)
    OF #MTaylor Was (FARM 5)
    UT *APollock Ari (1st 13)
    UT *COwings Ari (2ND 6)
    P #ABradley Ari (FARM 5)
    P #LGiolito Was (FARM 5)
    Last edited by kawaise; 07-09-2014, 09:47 PM.
    "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
    "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
    WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
    PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

He just changed his offer and asked for Clippard (B, $1) instead of Ziegler.
    "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
    WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
    PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

I would do the updated trade

Comment

Gomez seems like a good keeper at $27, so I'd definitely do it. more interesting if he was a lame duck; this is easier
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Young cheap studs like Taveras usually fetch more in my NL-only league but if that's the going rate for a top-10 hitter and top-20 pitcher then definitely do it since it will upgrade your team quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
            Young cheap studs like Taveras usually fetch more in my NL-only league but if that's the going rate for a top-10 hitter and top-20 pitcher then definitely do it since it will upgrade your team quite a bit.
            I'm going to shoot for the moon, Overkill. I agree - there's a lot of value in a first year, $5 phenomenon like Taveras. The other owner has Kershaw. I'm going to ask for Kershaw instead of Fister. It might cost me Bradley (farm), but if agrees, this is a no-brainer (not to mention setting him up pretty good for next year). Kershaw has a $35 salary - too much for my liking as a keeper next year.

Comment

Originally posted by kawaise View Post
              I'm going to shoot for the moon, Overkill. I agree - there's a lot of value in a first year, $5 phenomenon like Taveras. The other owner has Kershaw. I'm going to ask for Kershaw instead of Fister. It might cost me Bradley (farm), but if agrees, this is a no-brainer (not to mention setting him up pretty good for next year). Kershaw has a $35 salary - too much for my liking as a keeper next year.
              I don't play only-leagues, but a $35 Kershaw seems like a solid, if not great, keeper.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

hey, if you get Kershaw, too, great.
                in my league, that counteroffer would be considered so offensive that you would have just handed the pennant over to one of the two rivals. BUT I am guessing that is not the case in this league, for some reason.

what would Gomez and Kershaw and Taveras go for on your open market next year?

Kershaw was bought for 43 by our 2012 pennant winners, kept for that on our 2013 runnersup, and kept again for a final year by the same owner who is mid-pack this year.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Last year when I was dumping the Taveras owner wanted Kershaw, Yadi, and AGon IIRC (maybe someone else as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    hey, if you get Kershaw, too, great.
                    in my league, that counteroffer would be considered so offensive that you would have just handed the pennant over to one of the two rivals. BUT I am guessing that is not the case in this league, for some reason.

what would Gomez and Kershaw and Taveras go for on your open market next year?

Kershaw was bought for 43 by our 2012 pennant winners, kept for that on our 2013 runnersup, and kept again for a final year by the same owner who is mid-pack this year.
                    Earlier this year the same owner was able to get Kershaw for a $1 Wily Peralta. I kid you not. The guy that traded Kershaw is in the basement. Trust me, that trade rankled some feathers, but we can't challenge/overturn trades.

Our league has "matured" into a rather conservative league. I would guess that Gomez would go for the mid 30's. I don't think Kershaw would go for much more than he went this year ($35). Taveras is the wild-card. I think he would go anywhere from the low to high teens next year - pretty much based on how well he plays the rest of the season.

I can't remember the last time we had a pitcher frozen for more than $40 (we have a league budget of $260). It may have been Randy Johnson when he was with the D'backs. Roy Halladay was the anchor of some of my great teams in this league. I had him for three years at a $35 salary.

This owner has repeatedly told me that he likes Pollock, Taveras, and Bradley. We made a deal a few years ago when I sent him a $5 Strasburg, $1 D. Murphy, and $1 Duda in a similar trade that sewed up my third title in a row (I got Tulo, a closer, and riff-raff) and gave him the seeds for him winning back to back championships. He may say "no" to the counter, but I don't think it's an offensive act in our league.

Comment

Done.

Kershaw, Gomez, and Wisler

for

Clippard, Bradley, Taveras, and Pollock.

That's a lot of young talent (Bradley and Taveras) I'm giving up, but I'm hoping it yields another banner.

Comment

"Our league has "matured" into a rather conservative league. I would guess that Gomez would go for the mid 30's. I don't think Kershaw would go for much more than he went this year ($35)."

Our 2012 winner paid $43 for Kershaw - and kept him at that price for a 3rd and final year this go-round. If he has his usual second half, he'll go for about the same again in 2015. Gomez was picked up as a FA (!) in 2012 by last year's winner.

I had Halladay for 44 in his best years. Somebody paid 42 for J Heyward this year (oof).
                        McCutchen went for 48 this year, and the owner just dumped him for Javier Baez (5-S2 eventually) and a 4-unit Gaby Sanchez....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                        X