Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sayonara, Tanaka

Sounds like he's being shut down with shoulder woes for quite a bit of time

ROTOWORLD: Yankees placed RHP Masahiro Tanaka on the 15-day disabled list with right elbow inflammation. Tanaka has flown back to New York to undergo an MRI on his pitching elbow. It's a frightening situation for the Yankees, who committed a record-breaking seven-year, $155 million contract to the Japanese right-hander this winter. Tanaka owns an exceptional 2.51 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, and 135/19 K/BB ratio over his first 129 1/3 major league frames.
    12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
    1B-Cron
    2B- Villar
    SS- Andrus
    3B-Baez
    MI-L. Gurriel
    CI- Y.Gurriel
    OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
    UTIL- Benintendi
    BENCH: Pence, Dyson
    SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
    RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
    IL: Buxton

Comment

So Kuroda is the only starter from opening day that is still around

Comment

Yup, these LONG term, HIGH dollar contracts are great.....for the player.

Comment

Personally, I'd never go more than 4 years for a pitcher, and that length of time would still scare the hell out of me...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Is it stupid to trade for him if I'm taking on no real risk? The Tanaka owner (keeper at $5 for the next two years) is in 1st place and offered him to me after the injury straight up for my Scherzer who is a non-keeper. I'm not in contention and I can't keep Scherzer so there's no real reason not to make this move, right? Worst case scenario, Tanaka has TJ and I can either keep him on the DL next year or just not even keep him but I would've done the same for Scherzer. Am I overthinking things?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              Is it stupid to trade for him if I'm taking on no real risk? The Tanaka owner (keeper at $5 for the next two years) is in 1st place and offered him to me after the injury straight up for my Scherzer who is a non-keeper. I'm not in contention and I can't keep Scherzer so there's no real reason not to make this move, right? Worst case scenario, Tanaka has TJ and I can either keep him on the DL next year or just not even keep him but I would've done the same for Scherzer. Am I overthinking things?
              No-brainer, unless you can get more from another owner.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                I'd let the league know about Scherzer and see what else you can get for him...a year and a half is a long time to wait on a player. I traded for Fernandez this season, knowing that I was already out if it...but I expect SOME return on investment next year...if Tanaka has TJ, I doubt you'll get anything. Cast your net wider and see what offers you can get.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  I'd let the league know about Scherzer and see what else you can get for him...a year and a half is a long time to wait on a player. I traded for Fernandez this season, knowing that I was already out if it...but I expect SOME return on investment next year...if Tanaka has TJ, I doubt you'll get anything. Cast your net wider and see what offers you can get.
                  Thanks Horns - that's what I'm doing... the top 2 teams are about 20 points ahead of the rest of the league so outside of those two, there isn't much trade interest for half a season of non-keeper. I'm trying to leverage the 2nd place team though knowing that they won't want the first place team getting Scherzer. We'll see!

Comment

On the flip side, if it turns out Tanaka doesn't need TJ, it is a huge get. It is a gamble though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      On the flip side, if it turns out Tanaka doesn't need TJ, it is a huge get. It is a gamble though.
                      Yes and at $5 for two years (can you extend him?) not much of a gamble. I would have made the trade by now. We have all spent $5 on foolish gambles, gut feel, etc. This is the kind of gamble that can win championships. Wouldn't be so bad if you had to stash him for a year either...Five bucks man!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        Yes and at $5 for two years (can you extend him?) not much of a gamble. I would have made the trade by now. We have all spent $5 on foolish gambles, gut feel, etc. This is the kind of gamble that can win championships. Wouldn't be so bad if you had to stash him for a year either...Five bucks man!
                        Agreed - I'll accept the deal in a few hours. Just trying to squeeze someone like Strasburg or Wacha from the 2nd place team. But if nothing, I'll take my chances with Tanaka - worth a gamble!

Comment

Tanaka is headed to Seattle for an appt with the Yankee team physician. Sid Rosenberg on Miami sports radio stated on the air that he needs TJ, but sounds like that jumped the gun.

Comment

When was the last time the treatment of "rest and rehabilitation" actually worked? The only time I can remember a TJ scare NOT being TJ was with Yordano Ventura earlier this year, that was just a total cluster by someone on the staff telling the media wrong info. Usually in these cases, it's pretty spot on.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Ervin Santana comes to mind, but yeah, not often.

Comment

Working...
                              X