What should I offer for Mike Trout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I offer for Mike Trout?

Owner of Trout is solidly in first place and Trout is expiring contract. What should opening offer be that would primarily include pitching?

My current OF are Marte, Martin, Rios, Gordon and Ellsbury but all of these guys while they could fill the OF slot are not likely to be keepers. however, I have Cobb (14), Alvarez (1), Gee (3), Nate Jones (5), CJ Wilson (5) as potential keepers. Rest of pitching includes Beckett, Sanchez, Wacha, Vargas and Latos that would be at marginal keeper price for our league.

Obviously, a couple of injuries have provided some depth.

Advice?

What are the OF prices? Cobb be gone and probably Wacha and then one of the OFs - depending on salary

Comment

I am guessing you need Trout to finish in the money?

You mentioned that the Trout owner is solidly in first place. This would indicate that he will only move Trout for keepers. You also don't mention the year of the contract or your contract rules? Could he keep CJ for the next two years while Cobb is only good for next year, etc.? Can you make a one for one trade, or do you have to give him an OF back? While your OF may not be keepers, which ones do you need to get in the money?

If it is one to one. Give him is choice of pitchers straight up. If is is two for two for slots, pick the OF you need the least include that with his choice of pitchers for Trout and have him pick his worst pitcher as a throw in.

If that doesn't work include one of the "rest" that is a marginal keeper pitcher.

It that doesn't work determine how badly you want to finish in the money and if Trout really is the piece that puts you over the top after you subtract two keeper pitchers. If it is worth it to you add the keeper pitcher.

Comment

I am in first place in my league right now (9.5 point lead) and own Mike Trout on an expiring contract. My lead is not really safe enough to warrant dealing Trout unless i get blown away by an offer. Trout is simply too valuable to trade away for anything less than what would probably be an over payment for him. Frankly I would not take any of the players you mentioned for Trout.

If the Trout owner is solidly in 1st place obviously his team is very solid and making a 2 or 3 for 1 deal means he would be replacing another player or two with the players you trade him...would that make his team better?

The hell with 2015 i want to win this year. I wouldn't trade Trout for keepers unless they were off the chart great keepers.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          I am in first place in my league right now (9.5 point lead) and own Mike Trout on an expiring contract. My lead is not really safe enough to warrant dealing Trout unless i get blown away by an offer. Trout is simply too valuable to trade away for anything less than what would probably be an over payment for him. Frankly I would not take any of the players you mentioned for Trout.

If the Trout owner is solidly in 1st place obviously his team is very solid and making a 2 or 3 for 1 deal means he would be replacing another player or two with the players you trade him...would that make his team better?

The hell with 2015 i want to win this year. I wouldn't trade Trout for keepers unless they were off the chart great keepers.
          That is because your lead is not safe. So of course you could not trade for keepers.

What if you had a "safe" lead? You would think you would want a good keeper or two for next year.

He can get more for Trout now than if he waits until the deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            That is because your lead is not safe. So of course you could not trade for keepers.

What if you had a "safe" lead? You would think you would want a good keeper or two for next year.

He can get more for Trout now than if he waits until the deadline.
            I am not sure any lead is "Safe" what does that mean? Up by 20 points??30 points??40 points??

I don't disagree with you about getting more now, but if he is 100% sure he WILL win without Trout, then i guess make the trade. Nothing in fantasy baseball is 100% though
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

<deep breath>

I agree with mith. If I am in 1st and I own Trout, you will need to blow my mind to get him from me. Win this year and worry about the future later.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                <deep breath>

I agree with mith. If I am in 1st and I own Trout, you will need to blow my mind to get him from me. Win this year and worry about the future later.
                I also agree with mith. Last year in my AL only league in august I was 24 pts behind made some trades. The owner in first didn't think he needed to make a trade. I caught him3 days before the end of the season and won. No lead is safe.

Comment

No lead is ever safe. If I'm in first there's no way I'm trading the best player in baseball with an eye ion next year.

Comment

in 2005 I was in 4th place, about 23 pts back, in early August.
                    I took over first place about a (hellacious) week later, and coasted in the final week of the season (no major trades, either; mainly was Randy Winn the FAAB arrival hitting like Andrew McCutchen for 2 months).

I wouldn't trade Trout in his place unless - I was a lot more than 20 pts ahead!
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                      I also agree with mith. Last year in my AL only league in august I was 24 pts behind made some trades. The owner in first didn't think he needed to make a trade. I caught him3 days before the end of the season and won. No lead is safe.
                      Nice job.

Just curious, how many weeks out did you make the trade?

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        in 2005 I was in 4th place, about 23 pts back, in early August.
                        I took over first place about a (hellacious) week later, and coasted in the final week of the season (no major trades, either; mainly was Randy Winn the FAAB arrival hitting like Andrew McCutchen for 2 months).

I wouldn't trade Trout in his place unless - I was a lot more than 20 pts ahead!
                        I have never seen a 23 point swing in a week in all of my years of playing. Plus you had 3 teams to climb over. That is amazing.

Comment

me neither.

weirdest part was this was during the PGA golf championship at Baltusrol in NJ, so I was working 12-13 hours a day and a lot of it out on the course. I barely checked the standings for 3 days. Rivals said my players finally relaxed with my watchful eye finally not on them, lol.

I would have been happy to settle for 4th, because in my previous title runs, I had never even finished in the money the following year.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                          X